Kenny Miller's Gers future hangs in the balance as he rejects reduced contract

Ace

WALTER SMITH and Martin Bain are facing another fierce battle with the bankers to keep Kenny Miller at Rangers.

Record Sport can reveal the Scotland striker - who bagged a hat-trick against Hibs on Sunday to take his tally to four goals in his first two SPL games - has been asked to take a pay cut on a new deal as part of the ongoing financial squeeze that has been ordered by the money men.

Miller, who has entered the final year of his Ibrox contract, has rejected the offer and his future now hangs in the balance as the clock ticks down to the closure of the transfer window a week today.

Miller has made it clear during talks with Smith and Bain he desperately wants to sign a new deal which will keep him in Glasgow but that the current terms on offer are not acceptable.

Miller is so content with life at the club it's believed he would be prepared to sign a two or three-year extension on the same wage packet he has been earning since he signed from Derby for £2million in 2008.

But Rangers have failed to get close to matching those terms.

It 's understood a number of clubs in England and abroad are aware of the situation and some of them are ready to move in with big-money offers this week.

Now the manager and the chief execut ive - who are working within the confines of a tight budget put in place by Lloyds Group - are locked in boardroom talks in an attempt to find enough extra money to offer Miller the deal they feel he deserves after two hugely impressive seasons.

Miller smashed home 21 goals last season as Rangers romped to a second successive SPL title and was handed the No. 9 shirt this summer following the departure of Kris Boyd to Middlesbrough.

A source close to the talks said: "Kenny wants to stay at Rangers and the manager wants to keep him.

"But it's just not fair to reward one of your best players by asking him to take a significant cut in wages and Walter knows it.

"The next few days are critical because clubs are starting to sniff around."

http://www.<No links to this website>/2010/08/24/kenny-miller-s-rangers-future-in-the-balance-as-he-rejects-reduced-contract-offer-86908-22509720/

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More press drivel, how do these people get to know about confidential dealings, or claim to but can't give a figure, the daily rhebel at its usual gutter level.

More often than not, player agents leak the info to pressure on the club.

There is little point in spending to get Jelavic and then losing miller.

Sundays game proved how invaluable a player he is and we'd be crazy to lose him over a few grand a week. Since he is indicating he wants to stay, Bain and co should get this sorted with the bank.

The debt must be severely reduced, so even the bank must see that their only way of getting their money back is a successful Rangers.

I'm hoping this is just muck stirring after Millers hat-trick on sunday. It's a helluva coincidence.

I'll be glad when this bloody window closes, and the mhedia can go back to stories about HMRC and debt.

There is little point in spending to get Jelavic and then losing miller.

Sundays game proved how invaluable a player he is and we'd be crazy to lose him over a few grand a week. Since he is indicating he wants to stay, Bain and co should get this sorted with the bank.

The debt must be severely reduced, so even the bank must see that their only way of getting their money back is a successful Rangers.

I'm hoping this is just muck stirring after Millers hat-trick on sunday. It's a helluva coincidence.

I'll be glad when this bloody window closes, and the mhedia can go back to stories about HMRC and debt.

That my friend is the remit of ££.

I do believe that there are talks about a contract extension, and I do believe that Miller wants to stay, but to me that is as far as it goes, of course there are going to be clubs sniffing around, there are clubs sniffing around all our top performers but what the press seem to be conveniently forgetting is, if Miller at this moment in time doesn't sign a contract extension then he can refuse to go to any other club this season and has a whole season to have an extension sorted.

Sounds like crap to me.

He scores 4 goals in 2 games, we sign Jelavic Weiss an Beattie, we look stronger than last year and now all of a sudden they come out with this shit, without any quotes and days before the window closes ?

Fuck the mhedia.

I'm sure there are contract talks going on, but the rest is pure speculation.

More press drivel, how do these people get to know about confidential dealings, or claim to but can't give a figure, the daily rhebel at its usual gutter level.

Because people talk to journalists 'off the record' all the time.

In my time working alongside journalists in Scotland (I'm a photographer) 'off the record' comments have come from directors, players, agents, managers - you name it.

Comments from 'a source' covers a multitude of characters willing to vent knowing their names will not be publicised.

Head out the sand mate, do you honestly think that people in and around the player don't sell stories like this to the press? I've taken the phonecalls myself a couple of times, albeit at a lower profile than this.

I'm with Rabbitt. Heard this exact rumour last week and I wouldn't be surprised with it at all. Miller has every right to reject a pay cut if that's what we're offering him, he's ten times the player he was when he signed.

RANGERS WANT HIT-MAN MILLER TO SIGN UP FOR LIFE

Rangers have opened contract extension talks with on-fire striker Kenny Miller

Tuesday August 24,2010

By Scott Burns

RANGERS have opened contract extension talks with on-fire striker Kenny Miller that could see him finish his top-level career at Ibrox.

Sources close to the player, who netted a sizzling hat-trick in the 3-0 win over Hibs at the weekend last night confirmed that the SPL champions have held initial negotiations with the 30 year old hit-man .

The Scottish international finishes his current agreement next summer but the Light Blues are keen to get him tied down on a longer deal to ward off a number of suitors from south of the border.

The initial indications are that Rangers want to offer him another two years but the player is thought to prefer a longer term and if that can be thrashed out and terms agreed then Miller could follow in the footsteps of mid-fielder Lee McCulloch who recently signed up for ‘’life’’.

Premiership Blackburn and Newcastle United are amongst a number of clubs who are monitoring Millers’ situation.He however has already had a couple of stints in the English top flight with Wolves and Derby County and if all is right would prefer to sign on again at Ibrox.

The former Celtic star, in his second spell at Ibrox, has been a big player for manager Walter Smith and his assistant Ally McCoist is keen to keep him on-board when he takes over the hotseat at the end of the season.

Meanwhile, Rangers are hoping that £4m Croatian signing Nikica Jelavic will be granted his work permit later this week and will be able to make his Rangers debut against St Johnstone at Ibrox on Saturday.

Manager Smith is also currently looking at the transfer market and could make a mov

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/195157/Rangers-want-hit-man-Miller-to-sign-up-for-life

Slightly different angle on it here...