Boxing and MMA

Very close fight, very intriguing and good quality fight (not a thrilling scrap but watchable none the less) - however I had it for Kovalev.

My issue with the judges scoring, is Kovalev won nothing on 2 scorecards in the second half of the fight, (indeed 17 rounds out of 18 second half rounds, over the 3 cards, were given to Ward) and...... I think that is generous to Ward and harsh on Kovalev. It is giving Ward every 50/50. It isn't a robbery but Kovalev will feel he deserves more credit on the cards for the 2nd half - and I'd agree with him.

Undoubtedly Ward was the stronger in the second half and boxed brilliantly at times. However, I certainly thought Kovalev was worthy of winning, at least, one of 10, 11 & 12. I did score 10 and 12 to Kovalev - 10 I thought was his fairly clear, 12 less so.

Rounds 1-6 I had 5-1 Kovalev (I can see 4-2 Kovalev here too)

Rounds 7-12 I had 4-2 Ward.

Take the knock down and I had it....

115-112 Kovalev.

The other argument is, did Ward do enough to win the belts from the champ? I struggle to say he did. I am of the opinion you give the 50/50s to the Champion, and I think Ward got most of the 50/50s.

However, Ward will comfortably win a rematch IMO. He has sussed Kovalev, and is a terrific boxer that is very hard to beat once in full flow.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Undoubtedly Ward was the stronger in the second half and boxed brilliantly at times. However, I certainly thought Kovalev was worthy of winning, at least, one of 10, 11 & 12. I did score 10 and 12 to Kovalev - 10 I thought was his fairly clear, 12 less so.

Rounds 1-6 I had 5-1 Kovalev (I can see 4-2 Kovalev here too)

Rounds 7-12 I had 4-2 Ward.

Take the knock down and I had it....

115-112 Kovalev.

Stayed up late to catch this last night and I had exactly the same scorecard. 5-1 through the first 6 rounds with 4-2 Ward between 6-12. 115-112 Kovalev in the end. Kovalev won the 10th surely. Kellerman and Lederman gave it to Kovalev too, Lederman on HBO had it 116-111 Kovalev which is a bit too much the other way mind.

To give it 114-113, considering I had it 59-54 Kovalev after 6rds, (and considering Ward was on the receiving end of a 10-8 round in the 2nd) you have to give the last 6 rounds to Ward 10-9.

I just don't see that unfortunately. Be nice if Ward actually fought someone outside of California/Nevada for once too.

13 hours ago, Supersonic said:

Belfast card was good as fuck but that Brazil card was mostly trash!

The Bellator card had some fun fights, especially that main event between Chandler and Ben Henderson - a great fight!

Michael Chandler channelling Chris Benoit :lol:

That's a fucking beast German suplex.

8 hours ago, AyeReadyStu said:

Stayed up late to catch this last night and I had exactly the same scorecard. 5-1 through the first 6 rounds with 4-2 Ward between 6-12. 115-112 Kovalev in the end. Kovalev won the 10th surely. Kellerman and Lederman gave it to Kovalev too, Lederman on HBO had it 116-111 Kovalev which is a bit too much the other way mind.

To give it 114-113, considering I had it 59-54 Kovalev after 6rds, (and considering Ward was on the receiving end of a 10-8 round in the 2nd) you have to give the last 6 rounds to Ward 10-9.

I just don't see that unfortunately. Be nice if Ward actually fought someone outside of California/Nevada for once too.

I've watched it back tonight on Sky commentary (I watched an American feed last night as wasn't at home). The Sky commentary is very different to the US.

It's such a close fight, but I still think you need to give Ward all the 50/50's to score that for him and I certainly don't think he 'won' the belts off the champion.

9 hours ago, AyeReadyStu said:

I watched the fight today, I'm no expert but knowing the result I reckoned that ward would need to of won 5 out the last 6 rounds which I don't believe he did.