Boxing and MMA

12 minutes ago, GetToTheChoppa said:

Crolla fighting Lomachenko.

Had a wee look at the odds thinking thats a massive mismatch.

Loma is 1/100 😂

What odds they giving Crolla? Wont be anything like 100/1, that is for sure!

Cant see Crolla winning, will get dismantled most likely, but will still watch it.

8 hours ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Do you ever go and watch the training & sparring mate ? When you see how he handles that , it may help to allay some of your fears , especially in the days leading up to a fight . I won't kid on that you'll be fine with it on fight night though , It's fucking hard enough watching boys you've helped train be on the receiving end never mind when one of your family is in the ring . I'm pretty sure that his coaches will know if/when he's ready and won't be rushed into action before his time . Good luck to him when the time comes 👍

Aye I’ve watched a wee bit of him sparring and training, I don’t like to hang about too long though and put added pressure on him trying to impress me,  he’s in good hands so I mostly leave him too it. 

It’s just a concern that’s always there but there’s risks in every walk of life. 

Will be there watching all his fights when they come for sure though mate.  I’m excited about it tbh. 

22 hours ago, Tiger Shaw said:

My boy had being doing boxing classes for a while and recently got moved up to squad training with the amateurs, he’s sparring two, sometimes three nights a week, his first fight won’t be too far away if he keeps progressing at the rate he is, reading things like this scares the shit out me mate. 

It's a difficult one mate.

The fact is the benefits to doing boxing far outweigh the risks .The discipline ,fitness , self esteem ,respect for others etc are all obvious.

It is also less dangerous than other sports.Many a boxer would never cycle on the road or play rugby yet are happy to spar anybody  in the squared circle.

It is all about learning defence as anybody can throw a punch but you have to be taught the art of defence ; footwork ,slipping , blocking and if needed holding.

If you or you boy feel this is inadequate in his present gym then you should find  another gym.

Also mate tell your boy never be afraid to say no to sparring or fighting a particlur opponent .

Boxing his all about levels and experience and there is no shame in your boy saying he is not ready for that task at the moment.

7 hours ago, hawkeye said:

It's a difficult one mate.

The fact is the benefits to doing boxing far outweigh the risks .The discipline ,fitness , self esteem ,respect for others etc are all obvious.

It is also less dangerous than other sports.Many a boxer would never cycle on the road or play rugby yet are happy to spar anybody  in the squared circle.

For me it is all about learning defence as anybody can throw a punch but you have to be taught the art of defence ; footwork ,slipping , blocking and if needed holding.

If you or you boy feel this is inadequate in his present gym then you should find  another gym.

Also mate tell your boy never be afraid to say no to sparring or fighting a particlur opponent .

Boxing his all about experience and there is no shame in your boy saying he is not ready and he will know when he is.

Mate the gym he’s in is really good and his trainers have Intermediate Scottish champions at various age groups and western district title winners, hes in good hands and is progressing well. 

Its the Renfrewshire boxing gym in Johnstone he goes to, you’ll find them on Facebook it you want a look.

1 minute ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Mate the gym he’s in is really good and his trainers have Intermediate Scottish champions at various age groups and regional title winners, hes in good hands and is progressing well. 

Its the Renfrewshire boxing gym in Johnstone he goes to, you’ll find them on Facebook it you want a look.

I know them mate , he 's in good hands.

4 minutes ago, hawkeye said:

Degale v Eubank tonight ...........................any links

Was just about to ask the same...don't like either of them but it is an intriguing fight - Regale should win comfortably on points assuming he doesn't gas in later rounds...Joe Joyce's fight could be interesting aswell