Your first memory of The Rangers?

Graham

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My earliest memories of being a Rangers fan are the week of us losing 10IAR and the 98' Scottish Cup final. What a horrible week it was and some people call me a glory hunter. :rolleyes:

Guest KarlG45

Ibrox 1975 or '76 against St Johnstone as a 10 year old. I THINK we won 4-1, but I could be wrong. I was in the Celtic part of the enclosure, and I just remember looking at the size of the terraces at the Celtic end (completely empty of course, I think the crowd was only about 20,000) and thinking "FUCK ME, HOW MANY PEOPLE COULD FIT IN THERE??" :)

First game i went to was at Ibrox around 1968 ish, Rangers V Dunfermline, Dunfermline had a decent team then and I think they made it to the semis of the Cup Winners Cup around then, anyway The game ended 0-0 and as I was only about 10 and not really the avid football fan I was to become, I came away wondering what all the fuss was abouyt with this boring football lark

Took me until 16 Yr old Derek Johnstone scored the winner angainst the paranoids before I really got exited about rangers, and seen good times and bad times since then

C'mon the Gers

I always supported Rangers but my first memory was about 1990, I lived in Holland till I was nearly 7 but we were in Glasgow visiting family and my Dad promised to get me the Rangers shirt while we were over. Remember going back to Holland and playing football with the other kids about and all of them kept asking what team it was, told them exactly what I was told. "Glasgow Rangers, the best team in the world"

Was about 5, and it was the 1978 Tennents Caledonian Tournament. Checked and it Rangers Vs Southampton. It was the terracing at the Broomloan and you walked up stairs and then saw the pitch- was amazing. Love even thinking about it. I knew when I left Ibrox that day I was a Rangers fan. Fell in Love with the Club that day.

Not sure who they were playing, but the earliest rangers moment for me was running into the living room and looking at the TV which had the cameras running its way through the Ibrox crowd. A European game none the less, August or March, I'm not sure. It was sunny though. Must have been about 1998 or something. I was around 5 or 6 then.

My first game though has to be the one. Rangers v KAA Genk - 7th of July 2000. Rangers won 3 - 2. Was only a friendly but a great experience for a 7 year old none the less :uk:

I've a few the first is seeing a framed picture of Jim Baxter in the Rangers top with the white V which my dad had another is my first game at the brox against Aberdeen when I was a wee boy, another strange one is seeing Willie Johnston stealing Gerry Neefs car outside Ibrox one dinner time (I went to Ibrox primary across from the brox stadium and was always over there) everytime I see wee bud I always think of that it was so surreal also my first old firm game I had never seen anything like it in my life.

dundee utd at ibrox when it was being demolished, i think i was in the copeland rear remember the seats being like rows of benches was about 5-6 at the time but to be honest i was torn between watchin the game and watchin the guys workin cranes and stuff, i think wee won 2-0 p.s im 38 now

Think it was 1953 or so, my Dad, a big Airdrie supporter would take me to the games.We were going to watch Morton v Airdrie and the game got cancelled (snow) they took the bus to Ibrox, can you imagine doing that now a days. Loved the Rangers ever since.

John Brown scoring at the Piggery, although for some reason I can see it being against Hearts???

Also remember swallowing a fly in the terraces at either Falkirk or Raith Rovers. :lol:

my first game was late 70s early 80s, my old man took me, it was pay in at the gate. it was a european game and johan cryff was playing for the opposition. cant remember the year or opposition as i was only 4 or 5 at the time. my old man bought me my first rangers scarf and from that day fell in love with the rangers and my hero from that day was davy cooper