Weir To Play On

David Weir today revealed that he will keep on playing next season – although he doesn’t know if it will be with Rangers.

The 41-year-old turned out 57 times in Gers’ SPL and League Cup double season, but is now out of contract.

He will hold talks with new boss Ally McCoist, but admitted: “I will definitely be playing on somewhere.

“I want to go into coaching or management at some point but, for the moment, I would prefer to concentrate on playing.

“I will keep my options open. I can’t sit here and say I definitely want to stay at Rangers because circumstances at the club have changed.

“The club has a new owner and a new manager. They might have different ideas. It would be unfair for me to say I want to stay when the circumstances might not be right.”

Meanwhile, McCoist believes Walter Smith doesn’t just deserve to be ranked alongside the greatest Rangers managers of all-time – he should be considered one of the best-ever Scottish bosses, too.

The new Ibrox gaffer thinks that taking his haul of trophies to 21 in two different spells in charge of the Ibrox club puts Smith alongside this country’s greatest-ever coaches.

He said: “We have had some wonderful managers at Rangers going all the way back to Bill Struth.

“But history will look back on Walter’s achievements here as comparable with anything.

“I make no apologies for being biased, but I would also say he is up there with the greatest Scottish managers of all-time in terms of his success.

“Whether it’s Shankly, Ferguson, Stein or Busby, they are all wonderful men and I think he is of that ilk.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/david-weir-i-ll-play-another-year-1.1101936

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Davie but it's time you done yourself a favor and hung up your boots, you've had a brilliant career. You've captained Rangers, won 3 titles and got to a European Final, you're 41, what else do you want?!?!

I love Davie but it's time you done yourself a favor and hung up your boots, you've had a brilliant career. You've captained Rangers, won 3 titles and got to a European Final, you're 41, what else do you want?!?!

4 titles

You're a long time retired, and he wasn't even a professional footballer until he was around 23

I would like to see him stay but in a Player/Coach role filling in for us when needed and not as first choice.Of course that depends on us getting another CB and I would have thought that is top of Ally's shopping list.

He's hanging on for our European triumph. :craphead:

Guest Andypendek

I don't think he could come in and play just every so often. At his age (a year older than me) if you let the body relax for a couple of weeks it's absolute murder getting it back into A1 condition. It might be the same for Weir, in that he has to be playing almost every game or else it's time to go. Now, McCoist might not see Davie as a week in week out No.1 choice CB; I don't see how he can. But if he can bring someone in who is good, and might be willing to wait until Weir either loses form or is injured, that would cover all the bases.

Like Bartley.

I'd like to see us looking for a replacement, he's been an abolute great signing which I'm forever grateful for but I think its time for him to move on. I wouldn't be opposed to him staying as cover but I don't think that would be what he's looking for

Time to move on, if David Weir is still at The Rangers next season (playing) then there is something far wrong.

He should not be a first team regular, and at the age of 41, being a bit part player is no use - he needs to be playing. OK, he has been solid over the last two months, but was a weak link for long spells through out the season. Saying that, his best games have come when Lee McCulloch was not in the team, getting in people's road.

We need to go out and replace David Weir - next season would be one too far!

I don't think he could come in and play just every so often. At his age (a year older than me) if you let the body relax for a couple of weeks it's absolute murder getting it back into A1 condition. It might be the same for Weir, in that he has to be playing almost every game or else it's time to go. Now, McCoist might not see Davie as a week in week out No.1 choice CB; I don't see how he can. But if he can bring someone in who is good, and might be willing to wait until Weir either loses form or is injured, that would cover all the bases.

Like Bartley.

He would still train every day