Juan Manuel Ortiz And The Rest Of The Squad/management

Muff

Put him on his more familiar right side and I think he will turn out to be a good signing. People see the word 'winger' and think of a rapid, creative, direct, hugs the touchline... player with a bit of trickery and good delivery.

That would be lovely but, Ortiz is more of a right sided midfielder!

He has a good touch, is hard working, makes some fantastic runs, which we have seen in pre-season and against Hearts (should have scored) and can deliver a ball - a few assists already.

He doesn't look as comfortable on his left side - although it doesn't help when you are left isolated, see very little of the ball, up against a very quick full back and when you do see the ball, have absolutely no support, like what happened for long spells of the first half and before he was taken off yesterday.

Ortiz is an experienced La Liga player, one who was one of the better players in the Almeria team - he has moved to a new country, a different style of play and knows very little of the language - he is going to need time to settle down and that means time and support from us.

I can actually see Ally McCoist trying him in a more central role, as I reckon he could play there - more attacking role, although it looks like he does have a decent engine in him, will work hard and track back - no surprise that he has featured in defence, as you can see that in the way he plays at times.

This counts for everyone we sign (maybe not language barrier as we may sign players who can speak and understand the Queens English) along with the manager and his staff.

I know there are concerns and rightly so - remember we all have an opinion, and we see different things, but at the end of the day we all want the same... The best for The Rangers.

It's going to take time, but we will get it right - we have the men in place. Until then we will just have to do what we always do, get right behind the team and management, and I'm 100% sure we will, we always do!

In Mr. Mhyte, Ally McCoist and his men, we trust and believe!

Put him on his more familiar right side and I think he will turn out to be a good signing. People see the word 'winger' and think of a rapid, creative, direct, hugs the touchline... player with a bit of trickery and good delivery.

He has a good touch, is hard working, makes some fantastic runs, which we have seen in pre-season and against Hearts (should have scored) and can deliver a ball - a few assists already.

He doesn't look as comfortable on his left side - although it doesn't help when you are left isolated, see very little of the ball, up against a very quick full back and when you do see the ball, have absolutely no support, like what happened for long spells of the first half and before he was taken off yesterday.

Ortiz is an experienced La Liga player, one who was one of the better players in the Almeria team - he has moved to a new country, a different style of play and knows very little of the language - he is going to need time to settle down and that means time and support from us.

I can actually see Ally McCoist trying him in a more central role, as I reckon he could play there - more attacking role, although it looks like he does have a decent engine in him, will work hard and track back - no surprise that he has featured in defence, as you can see that in the way he plays at times.

This counts for everyone we sign (maybe not language barrier as we may sign players who can speak and understand the Queens English) along with the manager and his staff.

I know there are concerns and rightly so - remember we all have an opinion, and we see different things, but at the end of the day we all want the same... The best for The Rangers.

It's going to take time, but we will get it right - we have the men in place. Until then we will just have to do what we always do, get right behind the team and management, and I'm 100% sure we will, we always do!

Good post Muff, agree with what you say about Ortiz. Think he will be far more effective on the right hand side. Although in saying that....think he went down the outside against Hearts in one game, more than Weiss did all last season!

Dont think they will give him a shot in the central role although your reasons for thinking that....workrate and ability to put in a shift.....are valid ones.

And also agree with your point about all us wanting the same thing, we all disagree, but the most important thing is that we get it right on the park, Mon the Rangers! :crabflute:

At the moment considering we have only 1 striker of real note available I think we are crying out to go 4-3-2-1, which we kinda did at times in the second half on Sat.

McGregor

Whittaker Bougherra Weir Papac

Edu Davis

Ortiz Naismith Wylde

Jelavic

That's the team I would go for on Tuesday. Think it frees Naismith to make his timing runs into the box, Wylde offers width, Ortiz on his natural side and Edu/Davis ticking things over in the central area.

Good post btw and although Ortiz was ok at times on the left, think he would be better suited on the right as you say.

What about our £1.5m signing, Lee Wallace?

Good post Muff, agree with what you say about Ortiz. Think he will be far more effective on the right hand side. Although in saying that....think he went down the outside against Hearts in one game, more than Weiss did all last season!

Dont think they will give him a shot in the central role although your reasons for thinking that....workrate and ability to put in a shift.....are valid ones.

And also agree with your point about all us wanting the same thing, we all disagree, but the most important thing is that we get it right on the park, Mon the Rangers! :crabflute:

I hope we move Ortiz out there for the next game, Malmo FF.

I don't know, I could see him doing us a turn in the middle of the park, maybe I'm completely wrong though!?

I think Ally McCoist will have learned a few lessons from Saturday, well I certainly hope so - Tuesday and time in general will tell.

Great post mate.

Ortiz is the kinda player who will be very valuable in Europe IMO.

He has 2 good feet and has a good delivery(Naismith should have scored twice)you could see he was good in the tackle and was hard working.

The thing is our fans see we have signed a "winger" from La Liga and will be expecting a skillful winger with bags of pace and will jump on his back if he doesnt perform like that right away(as seen on here after one game).

You're right. People seem to think "can play wide MF" means "OMG HES FUCKING MESSI".

Its not even like we didnt have other options on the left. Has Wylde suddenly dropped away down the pecking order?

Whitty looked as if he could do with a player like Ortiz in front of him after 20 minutes.

Good post.

I just feel that people were expecting a totally different type of player. Many expected a winger with flair pace and able to beat a man. I would describe himself as More of a hard working right sided midfielder.

He is definitely not a LW but at the same time he is not good enough to displace Naismith from RM where we get the best out of him.

Steven Naismith is nowhere near as good on the left and he should be played RM whenever possible. If that means Ortiz sitting on the bench and waiting his chance then so be it.

I agree Muff credit must go to Ortiz for sticking to what the manager asked him to do, Even if he was not comfortable at doing it

Ally said in his post match interveiw that he was asking Ortiz to stay wide and run at his man whenever he could, something McCoist said Ortiz was not 100% comfortable at doing. Credit to Both here Ortiz for sticking with it and super for changing it at HT when it was not working.

I hope we move Ortiz out there for the next game, Malmo FF.

I don't know, I could see him doing us a turn in the middle of the park, maybe I'm completely wrong though!?

I think Ally McCoist will have learned a few lessons from Saturday, well I certainly hope so - Tuesday and time in general will tell.

Big Lee will start every game imo so we have a problem in taht everyone will be shuffled to accomadate him.

Good post.

I just feel that people were expecting a totally different type of player. Many expected a winger with flair pace and able to beat a man. I would describe himself as More of a hard working right sided midfielder.

As I said the other day, he has the shades of Rothen about him. Even the posts explaining what type of player he is. Time will tell but I havent seen anything yet to get me excited. Would like to see Wallace get a start sooner rather than later, possibly at LM.

When people hear winger and spanish they think oh he's gonna be rapid and full of tricks when he's not really a winger. To anyone saying he was shite against Hearts,thats pish,he has a great touch,has the ability and he has the engine. Playing him on the left is typical Rangers playing players out of position and it sounds like everyone expected him to be able to do the Gregg Wylde routine and run in a straight line past McGowan with no support and deliver quality crosses on his weak foot and thats not his game especially when McGowan was much to fast for him. I think until we get new signings in we should be playing

MCGREGOR

WHITAKKER WEIR PAPAC WALLACE

MCULLOCH

ORTIZ WYLDE

DAVIS

JELAVIC NAISMITH

We seem to have forgot that Naismith was a striker until he came to us and giving Jelavic no partner on Sunday and letting him be marked out the game by the Hearts defence as we pumped countless long balls at him seems foolish to me but all this is just my opinion. Also i'll get a tonne of abusive comments for this but Bougherra is a liability,he makes the big run forward and rarely anything comes of it and he gets caught out of position,reluctant to play the simple pass aswell.end of rant

Should have been given a chance on the right when Wylde was brought on but our manager couldn't bring himself to substitute one of our defensive midfielders. I agree with the OP and think he'll turn out to be a good signing.

Its amazing what you learn at Ibrox about a player making his competitive debut. He was shite after 7 mins and he gradually became so bad (according to the guy next to me) I was beginning to wonder why Ally had signed him.

Our support imo is the hardest support to play infront of in Scotland if not Britain. As soon as a mistake is made a majority of the ground get on their case. Its annoying as fuck and it helps no one. I was impressed by Juanma on Saturday in that, despite it not really going for him he kept getting the ball and would keep going at the young Hearts boy. Bearing in mind that was the lad when we beat them 4-0 who was probably the best player on the park last season.

Get off players backs, they will know when they have made a mistake, they dont need 20,000 groans in their direction.

Of all the people on here you would have been the last one i thought i would ever say saying this...

Not only are there hundreds of players playing on opposite wings, but most strikers play on the opposite side as well...left footed player on the right, right on the left...

Nani, Anelka, Modric, Rooney, Ashley Young, Arshavin, Weiss last season....plenty of players are put on the left when right footed and vice-versa.

Im not going to go on about the benefits you know enough about football that i dont need to but IMO it gives fullbacks a totally different problem although i will agree with you, a few times Ortiz tried to cut inside there was very rarely anyone to pass to and he didnt get much help from Papac in the 1st half especially.

As usual though i agree with the majority of your post i just dont see any problem playing on the left...one problem i did see though with Davis playing RM is that he tucked in far too much and made it even easier for Grainger and Templeton to hit us on the left but thats for a different thread :D

(tu)