Ally's Hesitance To Play Young Players, Concering?

Boab

"We had one or two younger lads on the bench and it's maybe not fair on them, because you can sometimes damage young lads throwing them into that kind of atmosphere and environment."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14284411.stm

Maybe I'm looking too far into it; but Coisty was the one who said that Danny Wilson would never have got in the team if we had money.

Surely if you're old enough, you're good enough? A trait taken from Walter though over an arguable reluctance? I'd have thought Coisty may have been more to keen to use youth, don't know why.

Early days I know but the surprising impression I get is that Ally is far less positive in tactics and far less adventurous than his persona suggests.It could be he doesn't want to change the philosophy he has been steeped in for the past 4 years instantly but to me it is a huge worry in terms of tactics,selections,use of substitutions and the obvious reluctance to change what is patently not working at the time.

Thought that was actually quite a ridiculous statement given who was actually on the bench. Only Hemmings doesn't have any real first team experience of the so called youngsters who were there, and the rest have played in arguably far bigger games. I would argue you would damage these youngsters more by showing that you don't really have much confidence in them. It's also very short sighted if he goes down the route of Walter, because if nothing else a couple of good youngsters a year can be sold on to help boost the coffers.

2 games in.

Exactly.

This raging hard on that people get for giving youngsters s shot is boring. The cream rises to the top and if you are good enough you will eventually get in to the team as guys like McGregor, Wilson, Burke, Hutton & Ness have shown in recent years.

Winning games/honours > developing young players.

Exactly.

This raging hard on that people get for giving youngsters s shot is boring. The cream rises to the top and if you are good enough you will eventually get in to the team as guys like McGregor, Wilson, Burke, Hutton & Ness have shown in recent years.

Of course, but even for the 2nd half on Wednesday, Wylde, Edu/LM Davis Ortiz?

See all this early days pish. Its a total load of shite.

He has been working with most of these players for 4 fukkin years now.

David fukkin Blunkett knows Edu and McCullloch are pish.

And to play Papac at Left Mid, i mean WTF is going on ?

A one man fukking midfield. :anguish:

And im doing this when we are winning so no accusations of knee jerk (tu)

Exactly.

Spot on.

I personally find it hard to criticise Ally's footballing philosophy right now.

He has inherited the exact same squad that Walter Smith struggled to work with in terms of developing exciting fluent football.

Once Ally expands the squad and has more reliability about the team then I believe we will see a change.

Things are already beginning to change. I mean look at today, for example, when Lee Wallace, a new signing, delivered a sensational ball into the box, a first for a while from any Rangers player recently, and we scored from a header! May I mention it was also a set piece?!

Give it time. The key is getting the balance correct.

Exactly.

Some would say that they are good enough already and that age shouldn't even come in to the equation, only talent.

Im not sure I follow this line of thought, Ally has been under a fair bit of pressure with the results since taking the hot seat. Now if you put yourself in his shoes, would you take the gamble of playing youth players when his is trying his utmost to get a win?

I think he will give the youth players the chance particularly if we dont get all/some of the players he wants. Maybe just a little patience is required.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ll/14284411.stm

Maybe I'm looking too far into it; but Coisty was the one who said that Danny Wilson would never have got in the team if we had money.

Surely if you're old enough, you're good enough? A trait taken from Walter though over an arguable reluctance? I'd have thought Coisty may have been more to keen to use youth, don't know why.

New manager relies on experience - shocker!!

Ally is 3 competitive games into his tenure - we have not even got to the end of his first transfer window - we have NO idea what type of manager he will be or team he wants to build, nor do we know his attitude to youth - and even if he wants to use youth he will want to get a few decent wins using his most experienced players before any experimentation with youth (oh and to contradict myself Wylde seems to be getting a fair shot!)

Ge the man a chance

I don't find it concerning, but i would like to have seen Hemmings introduced at some point over the past 3 games. He looked decent whenever I seem him in pre-season. Hopefully he'll get a chance soon, even if its only 10-20 mins at the end of a game.

Exactly.

Took Mcgregor like 8 years, not exactly enlightening to the youngsters.