Jelavic - Was hard to leave Rangers

Nikica Jelavic insists he did not force his transfer from Rangers to Everton and only left Ibrox because the club decided they wanted the cash.

Jelavic, who netted 17 goals for the Scottish champions this season, joined Everton for a fee reported to be around £5.5million on transfer deadline day.

In an open letter to supporters on Rangers' website as Jelavic was finalising the switch to Goodison Park, club chairman Craig Whyte said: "One, the player wanted to leave and there is no point in trying to keep a player who no longer wants to be at Ibrox.

"Two, the club is simply not in a financial position to turn down offers for players which give the club a good return on its original investment."

However, Jelavic claimed on Thursday that Rangers ultimately had the final say in his departure.

He said: "My dream was to play in the English Premier League but I never forced my transfer.

"I spoke with Ally McCoist and said if the president wants me to stay I'll stay and if they need money and want me to leave, I'll leave - the club decided."

Jelavic also expressed concerns over the troubling times his former club is facing but backed Rangers to overcome a difficult period.

The Glasgow giants continue to face financial uncertainty as they await the verdict of a tax tribunal, which could leave them with a bill as high as £49million if they lose the dispute with HMRC.

Whyte this week also issued a denial over allegations he used season ticket sales to fund his takeover of the club in May.

Jelavic added: "It is a difficult situation for them I know and I heard inside information about them having problems.

"It is still my team and my friends are there and I am worried about the situation but I think they will find a solution because they are a big institution."

Rangers were unable to secure a replacement for Jelavic ahead of Tuesday's deadline after failing with a bid to sign Norwich striker Grant Holt.

But Jelavic believes McCoist's men can still retain their SPL crown this season despite his departure, while paying tribute to his former team.

He said: "It was difficult for me but we are professional and that is football.

"It was difficult because they gave me a beautiful 18 months, two trophies, many goals and it was not easy. This is football and we are all professionals.

"I just want to say thanks to everyone from Rangers, they will have a special place in my heart always.

"With or without me I don't see why they shouldn't win the championship - they are a good team and there are plenty of games to go."

Meanwhile, assistant manager Kenny McDowall has predicted an entertaining tussle when Rangers host Dundee United in the fifth round of the William Hill Scottish Cup this weekend.

He told the Gers' official website: "It's an SPL standard game but with the wee bit of added spice because it's a cup tie.

"United are always difficult opponents. Peter Houston and Paul Hegarty always have them well organised and we know they'll work until the last minute.

"It's a game that we need to be patient in but we know we need to try to get ourselves in front in the game and take it from there.

"It was good to get back to winning ways at the weekend. We were obviously disappointed about the result against Aberdeen but I think the boys came out and did well."

http://www.teamtalk.co.za/scottish-premier/7475281/Jelavic-denies-forcing-move

I hold no grudges, Good luck Nikica!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish him all the best for his future career, and I hope that he can move higher than Everton within a couple of seasons. Scored some great goals, gave us some great memories and drove us the title last year. Over to Healy, Lafferty et al. to step up to the plate and fill the void.

Nikica Jelavic insists he did not force his transfer from Rangers to Everton and only left Ibrox because the club decided they wanted the cash.

I stopped reading at this sentence, lying cnut. If you believe that then you truly are of the hard of thinking!

Did Rangers force his agent to hawke him round the EPL for a year?

I think there's probably a bit of truth in both accounts of the story - Whyte's and Jelavic's. Jela never forced the transfer but he probably would have preferred it to go ahead. At the same time I don't think he wouldn't have taken the huff if he was asked to stay.

There are varying degrees of forcing the hand of a club to let you go. I don't think that he did another `Rapid Vienna´ by demanding a move and not being willing to play, however, I don't doubt for a minute he was desperate to move to the EPL and his mind was fully focused on Glasgow Rangers. The type of player who would do what he did at Vienna isn’t suddenly going to have a cathartic moment, if we weren’t as willing to selling as we were given our financial state, I don't doubt for a second Jelavic would have done something similar to us.

I'd suggest the truth sits somewhere in between.

I don't think either side is lying here. Jelavic didn't force his transfer, but he was happy to leave if we accepted a bid that we felt we had to take. We've reportedly taken a 6m bid rising to 8m with add-ons, and Jelavic, who wanted to play in the EPL, gets to achieve his dream. It's really as simple as that, IMO.

I've always thought he's spoken well when interviewed and he's done so again, makes good reading. Good luck to him at Everton, and I'll always welcome him back up here. (tu)