***The Official Wimbledon Final Thread***

Than for EVERYWHERE else? No. I suspect there are other countries with even less tennis impact. That isn't what I said though. My point is that more Scots play golf at a high level than tennis, so a Scottish tennis player winning a major is a greater, rarer and more surprising triumph against the odds than a Scottish golf player winning a major.

There are as well, possibly, more publicly accessible golf courses. I grew up quite near a tennis club, but it's a private members only club and the number of public tennis courts is.. actually I think it's zero round here now. So I would say less people play tennis than golf.

If Murray wins though, will we see the kind of impact Borg had in Sweden or is the world too different?

Like everyone else, I had hoped that if Murray got to the final, he'd play Federer, due to his head to head stats. However, Federer completely destroyed Djokavic!

Maybe if he can get the first set then he's in with a real chance. I just think, sadly, that Federer is completely at home at Wimbledon and his experience will see him through. Murray may well let the occasion get to him! I hope not....would fucking love it if he won!!!

It all depends what Federer turns up.

If the Federer of old turns up, like he did against Djokovic, Murray is in real trouble.

But if we see the Federer of the last few years, an Murray can put pressure on him, forcing him to start shanking that forehand into the net then it'll be a close one.

My heart says Murray, my head says Murray.

It's Murray's time :praise:

You can't help but feel there's a certain destiny about this final.

I can't remember the last time the legacy of two players in a final came down to one match.

Federer is playing to equal the record of Wimbledon wins (just about the only record he doesn't have). He's also playing to regain the World #1 ranking. In his thirties, with players like Murray, Nadal and Djokovic, to win Wimbledon again and return to World Number 1 would almost undoubtedly make him the best of all time. This is realisically Federer's last chance to win Wimbledon, and his last chance to return to World Number 1.

Murray is Britain's only realistic hope of a Men's singles win of this generation. If he doesn't win here the questions over whether he'll ever do it will return. He's playing excellently and against a Federer who perhaps isn't as good as he once was, this could be the moment for him.

Today's final is almost impossible to predict, IMO. But one thing's for sure, it will cement a legacy - either Federer's as the greatest of all time, or Murray's as one of his era's finest players, and one of the finest ever produced by Britain.

I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT :praise:

You can't help but feel there's a certain destiny about this final.

I can't remember the last time the legacy of two players in a final came down to one match.

Federer is playing to equal the record of Wimbledon wins (just about the only record he doesn't have). He's also playing to regain the World #1 ranking. In his thirties, with players like Murray, Nadal and Djokovic, to win Wimbledon again and return to World Number 1 would almost undoubtedly make him the best of all time. This is realisically Federer's last chance to win Wimbledon, and his last chance to return to World Number 1.

Murray is Britain's only realistic hope of a Men's singles win of this generation. If he doesn't win here the questions over whether he'll ever do it will return. He's playing excellently and against a Federer who perhaps isn't as good as he once was, this could be the moment for him.

Today's final is almost impossible to predict, IMO. But one thing's for sure, it will cement a legacy - either Federer's as the greatest of all time, or Murray's as one of his era's finest players, and one of the finest ever produced by Britain.

I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT :praise:

I don't think that either of those are in doubt, whether he wins a major or not. There's no doubting his obvious talent, but he's been unlucky to come up against three of the most dominant players the sport has ever seen.

I don't think that either of those are in doubt, whether he wins a major or not. There's no doubting his obvious talent, but he's been unlucky to come up against three of the most dominant players the sport has ever seen.

Agassi coming out an saying he'd have won a lot less had Murray been in his era is one of the biggest compliments you can be paid.

He's phenomenal, but he needs a major to stop the moron non-tennis fans from calling him "just another Henman".

12 years av been watching tennis hopin ad wake up on mens finals day and having a British player in the final its finally here and the fact it's Murray makes it even better. The first set is vital Murray needs to win it

C'MON MURRAY NOW IS UR TIME

Agassi coming out an saying he'd have won a lot less had Murray been in his era is one of the biggest compliments you can be paid.

He's phenomenal, but he needs a major to stop the moron non-tennis fans from calling him "just another Henman".

(tu) if Murray wins his first major hel go on and win a few more IMO

12 years av been watching tennis hopin ad wake up on mens finals day and having a British player in the final its finally here and the fact it's Murray makes it even better. The first set is vital Murray needs to win it

C'MON MURRAY NOW IS UR TIME

C'MON ANDY :praise:

The variable out there is how Murray deals with the pressure and if he has enough courage to play aggressive tennis, if he manages that, he'll still have to play better than he's ever played before to win.

I'd love to see him win, but I'm under no illusions to who's standing on the other side of the net, if the Federer that beat Djokovic turns up, Murray's gonna have to play the match of his life,, and then some.

I find it bizarre that people base their dislike of Murray on his lack of personality.

I'm sorry, did I miss the absolutely bounding warmth of Federer, Djokovic or Nadal somewhere along the line in the last ten years?

They're all as dour as each other, if you class that as dour. I class it as a driven athlete who won't let up until they've won. If you want entertainment, I have plenty of Richard Pryor DVDs that I can send you.

It does my tits in. As you can probably tell :pipe: