Mohamed Zidan

13 goals in 14 games for Mainz (9 in 26 for previous season), who were relegated, a few interested teams but surely we should be able to offer him something different aswell as champions league football?

After the relegation of Mainz to Bundesliga 2 was all-but confirmed last weekend, the race is on for Egyptian striker Mohamed Zidan.

The 25-year-old former Bremen forward has scored 13 league goals so far this season but has emerged as a target for Stuttgart, Hertha Berlin, Hamburg and Hanover.

The diminutive dribbler publicly declared that Mainz' plight has caused him "great pain" as he has found his best form in the stable environment of the club.

"There have been enquiries from all over the world," confirmed Mainz team manager Christian Heidel. "He has to keep his emotions in check for the time being and then we will see what happens.

"The fact is, he has a contract with us until 2010."

After overcoming passport problems following his spell in Denmark, the 2.8 million euro signing - who just "didn't fit in" according to Bremen boss Klas Allofs - became a hit at Mainz, scoring nine goals in his first season on-loan at the club.

"We would not have dug so deep into our pockets for anyone else," claimed Heidel. "The fact that the player can get 13 goals with a relegated side says everything about his quality."

Zidan is infamous for the trouble that has followed him in his career so far, with an arrest for possession a stolen watch in Denmark and numerous fall-outs with the Egyptian FA, and Heidel feels the homely atmosphere at Mainz has helped him to flourish, something he must look for at his next destination.

"It has been proven that Mohamed needs a family vibe and total trust," Heidel continued. "He has both here in Mainz.

"It will not be easy for him to find this at another club."

went to mainz for 3Million euros and has similar style to cristiano ronaldo. was previously at werder bremen

13 goals in 14 games for Mainz (9 in 26 for previous season), who were relegated, a few interested teams but surely we should be able to offer him something different aswell as champions league football?

went to mainz for 3Million euros and has similar style to cristiano ronaldo. was previously at werder bremen

would be a good signing we definitely need some wingers who can beat a couple of players as at the moemnt we simply do not have this

Guest The Brown Brogue

Sounds like a simlar scenario to the Gazza signing....

A bit of a controversial character who found stability at Rangers, and in particular under Smith.

• 8 months later...

Looks a good player to me as well!

There have been a few players in the African Nations that look amazing and are playing for lesser clubs than us that would be class for us!!

But we never seem to get them!!

Looks a good player to me as well!

There have been a few players in the African Nations that look amazing and are playing for lesser clubs than us that would be class for us!!

But we never seem to get them!!

I suspect that they will sign for Arsenal for peanuts and end up being worth 10 million within 18 months :pipe:

Doubt Hamburg would let him go. He's an excellent player.

He is officialy on Mainz books :rolleyes:

I would take him in a shot, much better prospect than the Villa player, where they're asking for 3.5 mill, offer the £3 million we'll get for Cousin for this bloke and we would probably have a good chance of getting him.

Good shout from the bloke who found this guy as a possibility.

I would take him in a shot, much better prospect than the Villa player, where they're asking for 3.5 mill, offer the £3 million we'll get for Cousin for this bloke and we would probably have a good chance of getting him.

I made the original post in may 2007 :P

Hes cropped back up and im sure if he has a good tournament he will move back to another big team (he was at werder)

I made the original post in may 2007 :P

Hes cropped back up and im sure if he has a good tournament he will move back to another big team (he was at werder)

:lol: That will explain Muffger's response then! doh