SPL's Doncasterand tv deals

bluedart1952

Sport

Football

By Ewing Grahame

14 Comments

3 Jul 2011 00:00

SPL could ditch SKY and ESPN TV deals to maximise income from other broadcasters

THE SPL could reject a new TV deal from Sky and ESPN in a bold bid to get more money elsewhere.

THE SPL could reject a new TV deal from Sky and ESPN in a bold bid to get more money elsewhere.

After record viewing figures last season, the stock of Scottish football's top league has never been higher - and SPL chief Neil Doncaster is eager to cash in.

The controversy that engulfed our game last term prompted more people to tune in from 50 countries across the globe.

Now Doncaster could knock back Sky and ESPN's offer of an extension of their current deal and seek offers for the SPL rights from other broadcasters.

After the collapse of Irish firm Setanta in 2009, a three-year contract was signed with Sky and ESPN worth £65 million.

That deal expires in May although the SPL can trigger a clause in November for two more years. But that won't happen unless the TV firms stump up £125m.

Doncaster said: "Back in 2009, Sky and ESPN were effectively the only deal in town and a deal had to be put together quickly as there were just six weeks to go before the start of the season.

"That meant no proper marketing process could be undertaken. We have to bring more money into Scottish football and ensure we get fair value for our rights.

"We will work with our current broadcast partners, with new broadcast partners or examine establishing our own channel.

"We need to know how much our own channel solution could generate.

"It's a work in progress. By November, we must set out all the potential avenues and understand their risks and opportunities.

"Renegotiating our current agreement is a possibility but right now I wouldn't count anything out. Anything is possible.

"There are independent companies that are sniffing around the UK and European market from elsewhere in the world.

"We must maximise our income because players determine the quality of your league and the wages clubs can pay determine the quality of the player they can afford."

Viewing figures for 2010/11 were up by 28 per cent on the previous season and 47 per cent higher than with Setanta.

It's understood that one of the Old Firm matches earlier this year gave Sky its best-ever figures in Scotland.

Even the BBC's Sportscene highlights package on a Monday night reported an astonishing 35 per cent increase in viewers. Doncaster admits the impressive figures have strengthened his bargaining position. He said: "It can't do any harm.

"There has been a huge uplift in viewing figures that can only bode well for the future interest in our rights.

"It's not all about the scandals or the bad news either - people genuinely want to tune in and watch our games in their entirety.

"Going forward, if we can create more tension at the bottom through play-offs and, potentially, a second club being relegated, that can only add to the drama."

I found this comment earlier from that twit Doncaster. It was made last year so I am wondering if he will explain to SKY/ESPN why the viewing figures are not very good and I don't think they will improve apart from the RANGERS games. the man lives in cloud cuckoo land.

Even the BBC's Sportscene highlights package on a Monday night reported an astonishing 35 per cent increase in viewers. Doncaster admits the impressive figures have strengthened his bargaining position. He said: "It can't do any harm.

I don't believe sportscene has had a 35% increase, if the figures we have seen for sky & espn are down don't see how the bbc have increased and at lest 2 of their programs were up against the olympics.

What a lot of shite. Spl stock rising lol. Empty stadiums and skint teams. Aye,the world wants to see the spl. Did they no tell sky to fuck off years ago then took the setanta deal for less money,then no money lol what fucken planets Doncaster on,stupid cunt.

Can you people not look at the date of the report. It is not from this year. It is from July 2011.

Your not so good at this yourself or you would have noticed Bilko said this about 5 posts back.

I dont get the "can you people" bit either.

I guess that's what happens when you try to be a smart arse.

Your not so good at this yourself or you would have noticed Bilko said this about 5 posts back.

I dont get the "can you people" bit either.

I guess that's what happens when you try to be a smart arse.

That's my point - it has been pointed out but still some people continue to think it is from this year.

Acknowleging that it is an old statement from Doncaster it still shows that even then he was the guardian of SPHell ruin and didn't realise it. Before he and his equally incompetent cohort Regan at the SFA speak they should have a lackey to have a big bucket of water handy to help them swallow as they open their mouths and put their big feet in them.

Bringing it up to date a bit does anyone here know what the latest position is about TV money being dished out? Last I heard only some if it was issued and no details of amounts or when the rest would be issued.