What age were you when you first attended Ibrox

topgoalie

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never at they games Tannerall but for some reason i think that Rangers seemed to beat ALL of the best in Europe in these bygone days and with little to show for it,remember my old man saying that Rangers regularly beat the best and with little to show for it in Europe,said that sellik fc had it far easier for some reason???

Yeah the "third great" game I went to was Juventus game when they had virtually the Italian team on show, and we knocked them out. (What a player Causio was, and the defense was immense, but we beat them, and incidentally as a "Stenny" fan you may remember my cousin Archie Rose who was not too shabby a defender as well ) Not so sure cellic got it easier as apart from 67 they played and beat some big teams but we never seemed to have the luck they had.

My first game at Ibrox was a game between Rangers and a Belgian team, I think it might have been Club Brugge, but not 100% sure. It was in a friendly though. All I can remember is an Albertz shot coming straight towards us, and almost paralysed by fear that it would hit me :lol:

As for what made me a bear. My dad, and grandad - who is no longer with us -, and pretty much the rest of my family, were/are all massive Rangers fans. My old man hasn't been in the best of health recently, but when he's out hospital, and back on his feet, we'll both hopefully be back at Ibrox.

Was that in a pre-season friendly in 2000? If it was, that was the debut of Fernando Ricksen.

Yeah the "third great" game I went to was Juventus game when they had virtually the Italian team on show, and we knocked them out. (What a player Causio was, and the defense was immense, but we beat them, and incidentally as a "Stenny" fan you may remember my cousin Archie Rose who was not too shabby a defender as well ) Not so sure cellic got it easier as apart from 67 they played and beat some big teams but we never seemed to have the luck they had.

Archie with the beard,fckn brilliant player number 4,this was the first time i ever was a season ticket holder,Archie was one of my heroes,we were unbeatable in they days,ask Archie,we had Harry Glasgow as manager and big Sid Sage,think Archie played in midfield,little did i know that one of my brothers would eventually go on to manage the Warriors,my father was made up with that ,fckn brilliant mate...........by the way there was a theme for the best ever game on here that you have attended,and without a doubt it would be beating Juventus in the old European Cup,coming back from a 0-1 defecit to win 2-0 at Ibrox,against a team that had 6 players that went on to win the World Cup in 82

I think it was 2000.

It was a pre season friendly though.

That's what I said. It was the debut of Fernando Ricksen (he might even have scored) and I was over on holiday at the time and took my young Nephew to his first Rangers game. He is now serving on his second tour of Afghanistan and has never forgotten that day.

That's what I said. It was the debut of Fernando Ricksen (he might even have scored) and I was over on holiday at the time and took my young Nephew to his first Rangers game. He is now serving on his second tour of Afghanistan and has never forgotten that day.

Apologies, had a few beers :lol:

Your nephew is a man to admired and respected.

And I have never forgotten it, and never will.

Apologies, had a few beers :lol:

Your nephew is a man to admired and respected.

And I have never forgotten it, and never will.

I don't think you ever forget the first time you go to Ibrox. I can still remember it clearly as it was 60 years ago going home in the tram drinking from a bottle of Tizer and eating a macaroon bar.....pure magic :pipe:

I don't think you ever forget the first time you go to Ibrox. I can still remember it clearly as it was 60 years ago going home in the tram drinking from a bottle of Tizer and eating a macaroon bar.....pure magic :pipe:

fck sake oz thats brilliant.,dont mean your age or the tram,or the macaroon bar,but how the fck could you drink that stuff :drugang:

fck sake oz thats brilliant.,dont mean your age or the tram,or the macaroon bar,but how the fck could you drink that stuff :drugang:

I think they had ran oot of Irn-Bru so I had to drink something I guess :pipe: Tizer was pretty 'cool' in 1953 :thumbup:

I remember the signs when you walked out the tunnel: 'Welcome to Ibrox' was one that Souness was famously pictured with... and 'Please keep off the grass' (or words to that effect) was the other.

We took a photo of our new 'sweeper' - There was a guy with a brush sweeping the old terracing with long dark curly hair, big sidies, a zapata moustache and glasses. Anyone know him? It would have been 1986 or 1987.

He looked like the guy who was the announcer for the Rolling Stones at Altamont...!

I think I was 7 so 1960 or 61. My Dad took me to the main stand (must have come in to some money as he was always broke).

I think we played Kilmarnock in a 2 - 2 draw. A man gave me an orange.

Those were the days when you got all the wee boys wanting a lift over the turnstiles & you could take booze in to the game.

Another old fart.

My first game was against Dundee, we lost. Around 1960/61.

I went with my uncle and his son in law and the son in laws father all Masons and orange lodge men.

Had my first taste of Bovril, didn't like it.

Been a Bear since then. WATP.

i was 8 my family followed Rangers from years back ,we were playing aberdeen bit late getting Gers scored thought we were winning in fact we had equalised,cant remember if we won or not, macaroon bars were huge in those days and tizer tasted a lot better as well.

7 days old. My dad held me in his arms in front of the gates. I vaguely remember looking up through bleary eyes and thinking to myself, "I'm home." :)

Remember my dad taking me up on the sleeper train when I was like 5. Not too many memories, which is a shame, besides standing outside the boozer with a packet of crisps playing football with a crushed Irn Bru can. Til the sweeper came along and put it in the bin, then chapping the door and asking someone to get me another empty can.

First memories inside was a preseason tournament, can't remember the teams I must have been about 7, and I was running about the back of the CD with my brother and cousin when Hateley happened to wander past. He reached down and ruffled my hair, and I remember running back to my seat to tell my dad.

My dad says he feels guilty taking me when I was younger as I didn't take too much interest in the football, but I keep telling him those memories are embedded in my subconscious and sowed the seeds of my love for Rangers. Going to watch Rangers with your dad, nothing better. I hope I get one more chance to get to Ibrox with him.

First match was 1990, beat raith rovers 6-2 in the cup. I remember it bein a night game, and the only time ive sat in the govan. Butcher scored a goal and an og, i ma dad said we got a corner late in the game n he put his 3 fingers up, sayin he was on a hattrick!

I was 6. I loved it.

4 or 5, would have been in the 1994/95 season and my Grampa took me along.

Vaguely remember it being against Aberdeen and I've always wondered why my first game was one where there was a bit of rivalry but the again it set me up well :uk:

Used to always stand outside the broomloan stand after the games with my Grampa and wait to get photos with the players as they left. Pride and joy, that leather Rangers photo book, along with the official autograph book with every player during the 90s in it :21:

First game I was ever at was a pre-season friendly vs Montrose when I was about 3 or 4 but I cant remember anything about the day really. First game I can remember was the start of the 92/93 season we beat St Johnstone at home when I was 8...cant remember who scored or what the score was mind you but that was me hooked after that.