Gareth Bale

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose the difference is, Messi and Ronaldo were the best players in the world by the time they turned 23. Bale isn't even the best player in England. They were clearly destined to be the best players in the world, Bale is not so clearly destined.

It is not inconceivable that he could reach that level, but the comparisons ARE ridiculous.

Agreed to an extent. Bale is improving at a ridiculous rate season-on-season. Ronaldo's breakout season was when he was 22/23 - not too dissimilar to Bale. CR was wildly inconsistent from 18-21.

Messi was certainly a different breed! Bale is not as 'clearly destined' I agree but I don't think the comparisons to Ronaldo are too ridiculous as both players development years and resultant style of play were very similar.

If Bale can do what he's been doing in the last 7 or 8 games consistently over his career, then he will definitely be world class but that is still a relatively big IF at this stage.

I don't think the hype he's getting just now is much more than it was a couple of seasons ago. Though he's definitely not at the Messi/Ronaldo level, he has been getting that hype for at least a couple of seasons. (I think Capello started it.)

Remember, he was player of the year in England when he contributed a very average, maybe even below par, goal/assist ratio but decimated Maicon in two games. Off the back of that he was getting some outrageous hype when he hadn't really done anything, now he's hitting some seriously good form, I don't think it's unfair to say he's one of the most in-form players in the world. Without Bale in this form I don't think Spurs would be in the top 4.

Can he prolong that form over a season? Only time will tell, but his game is clearly at its best point it's been at thus far in his career.

One of best attacking wing backs around, but that is an old-fashioned concept and these days the big European teams play with a creative central midfield and players in the "hole" so Bale would be a luxury signing for midfield wing, and I think would end up playing as an attacking full back.

I think he has the ability to do this and expect an offer from Madrid or a top Italian team sometime soon.

Journalist asked Arsene Wenger at his press conference if Bale was the 3rd best player in the world after Messi and Ronaldo.

Wanted to smash my TV.

Sorry but 3 years of outrageous hype for without a doubt the most overrated player in my football lifetime and the only time he ever lives up to that (for only a matter of weeks) they put that hype up to another new level again.

Journalist asked Arsene Wenger at his press conference if Bale was the 3rd best player in the world after Messi and Ronaldo.

Wanted to smash my TV.

Sorry but 3 years of outrageous hype for without a doubt the most overrated player in my football lifetime and the only time he ever lives up to that (for only a matter of weeks) they put that hype up to another new level again.

He's in my fantasy football team and scoring lots of points so he must be good.

Nobody said he was as good as Messi and Ronaldo. They said he was as important to Spurs as Messi and Ronaldo are to Barca and Real, which is true.

I think he will stay at Spurs unless a £40million plus bid comes in.

AVB is going to build a phenomenal team at White Hart Lane, Spurs will be a top 3 club in the next couple of years, knocking on the doors of the two Manchester teams.

Best all round player certainly, though there is a good argument for Van Persie, Michu and Walcott being technically better.

Most exciting player I would add. I'm not saying he'll ever become within reach of messi, ever. But is qualified to be labelled as one of the most entertaining talents in europe

Most exciting player I would add. I'm not saying he'll ever become within reach of messi, ever. But is qualified to be labelled as one of the most entertaining talents in europe

Would expect him to put in a good solid performance and commitment more often than the more technical players, and he's not bad on free kicks.

Nobody said he was as good as Messi and Ronaldo. They said he was as important to Spurs as Messi and Ronaldo are to Barca and Real, which is true.

I think he will stay at Spurs unless a £40million plus bid comes in.

AVB is going to build a phenomenal team at White Hart Lane, Spurs will be a top 3 club in the next couple of years, knocking on the doors of the two Manchester teams.

If that was in reply to my post the journalist asked "Messi and Ronaldo are widely regarded as the best two players in the world but is Gareth Bale the best of the rest?"

Arsene Wenger might as well have told him to fuck off.

Best all round player certainly, though there is a good argument for Van Persie, Michu and Walcott being technically better.

Please stop.