For the Sake of Our Club

Gaz92

Because they are two of the most ridiculous things to throw into the whole argument about sectarian songs. The fact that its just not acceptable to sing 'fuck the pope' at the football is in no way comparable to some crackpot on kds deciding we sing penny arcade because some wee guy was killed in Belfast. Some of the sheer paranoia that seems to come from Rangers fans is bonkers.

Is it correct that the club receives praise pretty much every single time the 'sectarianism' debate pops up? The papers, and remember they're all run by taigs too apparently, don't make a big song and dance every time we sign a catholic which if we were still the 'super big bad bigots' then its reasonable to think they would. Look at the reaction to Mo Johnstone being the 'first' catholic compared to Amoruso being appointed captain? It wasn't even newsworthy.

If you cannot see that its chip, chip, chip, chipping away until there's nothing left, then I'll revert back to a previous comment I made to you.......

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking out in defense of the club is not tackling the imbalance or destructive press lies AL. Providing a response to an erroneous or exaggerated story is not a defence either imo.

Our greatest rivals appear to have more effective strategy with regard to this - including the banning of certain journos - despite the fact far worse has been written in respect of our club not one journo has been banned.

Indeed Dart I am sick of this and we have been debating this Garbage since FARE had their little fling .

Its all one way and the Club just make a Statement appeasing the Mhedia and scratch their Belly's, and tell them what they want to hear.

Until the next time Rangers Fans sing some naughty songs ,then that lot go and Trash a Stadium and attack Ball Boys with Coins, and Reap Havoc, and all our Fans bring is Money to a small Town , sing some naughty songs that are deemed offensive by a TV Channel, that don't bother with another Teams Fans who reap havoc every where they go.

I'm getting sick of it .

And the Club don't defend any Fans at all against the Mhedia.

Weren't the BBC banned after the Ally falling montage?

You're right that they are more adept at spreading their propaganda than us. But is that any reason to not renew ST's? We are only at the start of this journey, with CG bringing in JT I'd think, and hope, we are putting in a long term strategy to readdressing the balance.

No not banned AL we have a policy of "non-co-operation" with them.

I think for many guys they are fed up with the heartache and injustice of it all....and tbh I can see where they are coming from.

Weren't the BBC banned after the Ally falling montage?

You're right that they are more adept at spreading their propaganda than us. But is that any reason to not renew ST's? We are only at the start of this journey, with CG bringing in JT I'd think, and hope, we are putting in a long term strategy to readdressing the balance.

They still are. They are allowed to attand press conferences etc but are not allowed to ask any questions. They are only allowed into Ibrox due to contractual commitments that prevent us from Banning them completely.

You might not have noticed something but over the last 12 months our club has been closer to death than at anypoint in the near 141 years prior. Something strange happened though. We didn't die. All the plugs that could be pulled were pulled and everyone waited for us to breathe our last. It never came. Instead we got back on our feet, dusted ourself down and readied ourselves for the fight once again.

People will get offened by songs. They'll get offended by flags. They'll get offended by words.Thats the way the world is now. People by things in everyday life almost as much as football fans. When they have a valid complaint, which in the case of the anti-catholicism they do, then its in OUR best interest to change. When its things that are as ridiculous as the socks, or the fantastical reasons that some crackpot with a laptop has came up with for us singing Penny Arcade they will rightly be dismissed.

I really don't need a History lesson from you right now .

Or a Lesson on the Ills of Life right now .

That's the big problem in all this ,too many people getting offended ,and all worked up about Songs against a Minority Victim element within our Population in Scotland .

They have been Doing this shit for Years now, and it needs to be cleared up once and for all.

Either by the Police , the Club or Both.

I really don't need a History lesson from you right now .

Or a Lesson on the Ills of Life right now .

That's the big problem in all this ,too many people getting offended ,and all worked up about Songs against a Minority Victim element within our Population in Scotland .

They have been Doing this shit for Years now, and it needs to be cleared up once and for all.

Either by the Police , the Club or Both.

No? Well it seems some people do. The strength of feeling behind the club is too strong for it to be killed of by peoples offendedness. Fuck me, We've apparently had the British Government conspire against us and the FTP brigade think not being able to shout the fuck the pope in a field in Berwick will be the death of our club?

The club will never release an exhaustive list. All it takes is for one person to be arrested, rightly or wrongly, for singing something on a club authorised list for the club to land itself in difficulties.

It happens everywhere. I'm a wrestling fan. People have been getting offended by the content in Wrestling programming since the 80's. Still happens right now. People thought it would kill it too. It never. What is more likely to do the club harm is people continuing to sing songs they know can land the club and themselves in bother with the cops.

No? Well it seems some people do. The strength of feeling behind the club is too strong for it to be killed of by peoples offendedness. Fuck me, We've apparently had the British Government conspire against us and the FTP brigade think not being able to shout the fuck the pope in a field in Berwick will be the death of our club?

The club will never release an exhaustive list. All it takes is for one person to be arrested, rightly or wrongly, for singing something on a club authorised list for the club to land itself in difficulties.

It happens everywhere. I'm a wrestling fan. People have been getting offended by the content in Wrestling programming since the 80's. Still happens right now. People thought it would kill it too. It never. What is more likely to do the club harm is people continuing to sing songs they know can land the club and themselves in bother with the cops.

Goney stick to the ficken wrestling from now on FFS doh

We do indeed .

What have the club done in the last few years to address the imbalance in the press and media so acutely exposed during the last 12 months ?

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that yesterdays contrived events have a considerable no. of Bears seriously considering not renewing ST's

sigh those that can't moderate what they sing, can't show the common sense of knowing singing of certain songs and certain add ons are likely to get the club into bother should definately look at whether they should actively follow the club - perhaps they would be better just watching on the Internet !

sigh those that can't moderate what they sing, can't show the common sense of knowing singing of certain songs and certain add ons are likely to get the club into bother should definately look at whether they should actively follow the club - perhaps they would be better just watching on the Internet !

If you are going to quote something I have written, at least afford me the courtesy of answering the question or posting in response to that quote.

Not something completely off tangent - that just confuses auld buggers like me who think their eyes or their computer has gone wonky.

Perhaps you were having one of your swoon moments of course....

How many of those who openly put the club at risk can honestly say that they haven't cheered when one of our Catholic players has scored? Very, very, very few, if any, more like none. Therein lies the warped attitude of certain sections of our support, by all means acknowledge and support our traditions, by all means try to get songs like TBB back on the agenda ( because it is loud and intimidating, not because it is sectarian), but focus your attention on backing Rangers.

Can't really see the point you're making ... just because we are a club with proud Protestant traditions doesn't mean we don't have RCs playing for us and supporting us. In fact it works out rather well since septic get the worst of the Prods and we get the best of the catholics :pipe:

No not banned AL we have a policy of "non-co-operation" with them.

I think for many guys they are fed up with the heartache and injustice of it all....and tbh I can see where they are coming from.

For me the true heartache and injustice was last year. I'll never forget how low I felt. That's what drives me on. That's what keeps my loyalty steadfast and unwavering through all the anxiety and challenges we are facing.

It's surprising people would be seriously thinking about backing down now after everything we have survived.

Not looking to argue over it, just baffles me.

How many of those who openly put the club at risk can honestly say that they haven't cheered when one of our Catholic players has scored? Very, very, very few, if any, more like none. Therein lies the warped attitude of certain sections of our support, by all means acknowledge and support our traditions, by all means try to get songs like TBB back on the agenda ( because it is loud and intimidating, not because it is sectarian), but focus your attention on backing Rangers.

This works both ways IF we are that bigoted and bitter , why would they want to sign for us?

Jeez, just posted this before I went to work, never thought it would provoke this much discussion.

I've looked through all the comments, and cheers for them. If anyone has any questions they want answered from the blog, feel free to ask me now. There's simply too much for me to go through now!

Jeez, just posted this before I went to work, never thought it would provoke this much discussion.

I've looked through all the comments, and cheers for them. If anyone has any questions they want answered from the blog, feel free to ask me now. There's simply too much for me to go through now!

Much of it is general discussion as much as the blog. ;)

Out of interest Gary please do go into the details of the songs which were sung - I'd like to know.

I think we know the main two are "The Billy Boys" and "No Pope of Rome". Surely we have known for a long time that these are off the cards?

Well I dont know Gaz I wasn't there hence why I asked.

If someone had asked you on Friday, "do the club find it acceptable for fans to sing No Pope of Rome, or The Billy Boys?", would your reply have been that you're not sure?

If someone had asked you on Friday, "do the club find it acceptable for fans to sing No Pope of Rome, or The Billy Boys?", would your reply have been that you're not sure?

There seems to be something of a communication problem here - I'm not commentating or enquiring on their suitability, if you care to check back a few years in the archives you will find numerous articles by myself on idiotic singing.

The question I have asked you, three times now is... What was sung ?

have a feeling that after a 3 day orchestrated campaign of demonising Rangers fans by the usual bloggers, media heads and hacks the spl will release nimmos predetermined findings.

I do think we were ambushed yesterday but you cant escape the cold truth that because a few folk cant get their head around some pretty self evident truths, namely we have long lost the pr war on certain songs they damage our club and should be kept for the bus home, our club is open to attack.

my dark sense of humour finds it quite funny, whether its by irony, coincidence or connivance that I'm reading and listening to media heads pontificating about how we have no place in society for outbursts of distain for the roman empire or even paedophiles (wtf?)and then the very next day we a have a mucky scandal about to rock the roman empire in scotland involving their head honcho.

have a feeling that after a 3 day orchestrated campaign of demonising Rangers fans by the usual bloggers, media heads and hacks the spl will release nimmos predetermined findings.

I do think we were ambushed yesterday but you cant escape the cold truth that because a few folk cant get their head around some pretty self evident truths, namely we have long lost the pr war on certain songs they damage our club and should be kept for the bus home, our club is open to attack.

my dark sense of humour finds it quite funny, whether its by irony, coincidence or connivance that I'm reading and listening to media heads pontificating about how we have no place in society for outbursts of distain for the roman empire or even paedophiles (wtf?)and then the very next day we a have a mucky scandal about to rock the roman empire in scotland involving their head honcho.

The timing of this scrutiny of our songs is very interesting isn't it