Dunfermline Potential Administration Thread

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunfermline chief John Yorkston: Rangers can't be given same punishment we got for admin error

2 Jun 2012

DUNFERMLINE chief John Yorkston says the SFA have no choice but to boot Rangers out of the game because a Scottish Cup ban is too soft.

DUNFERMLINE chief John Yorkston says the SFA have no choice but to boot Rangers out of the game because a Scottish Cup ban is too soft.

The Pars chairman saw his club kicked out of the cup in 2010 for clerical mistakes that saw them field the suspended Calum Woods as a sub in a 7-1 win over Stenhousemuir.

They are far from the only ones with Spartans, Brechin City and East Stirling all having been expelled from thecompetition for fielding ineligible players through honest mistakes.

So Yorkston insists it would beludicrous to deal Rangers the same punishment for dodging taxes and putting the nation’s football future in jeopardy by pursuing the SFA through civil courts.

While he doesn’t want to see Rangers die, Yorkston believes that in a stark choice between terminating the club’s SFA membership or letting them off with a cup ban, there really is no alternative for the game’s bosses.

Because the lesser punishment simply does not fit the crime.

Yorkston said: “Most of us feel that because they are who they are, Rangers would get away with the lesser sentence but a cup suspension is not enough. This is more than a small administrative error that saw us and other clubs expelled from the Scottish Cup.

“None of us want to see Rangers go out of business but given the choice between the options available to the SFA, there is only one decision.

“I always thought relegation was the appropriate measure but I don’t know if they can find a middle ground any more because they tried that already with the transfer embargo.

“That’s what makes Rangers’ decision to go to the courts so foolish. They were badly advised because everyone knows you don’t go to court. People will blame the administrators for that but there are still folk at Rangers who should have known you just don’t do that. You don’t go to court unless you know all the facts and not enough research was done to check what the consequences would be.”

If Rangers were to pay the ultimate sanction, the additional place in the SPL could see either Dunfermline spared relegation or Dundee promoted as last season’s Division One runners-up.

Either way would be less than ideal, Yorkston argues, as both sides have signed and released players based on the assumption they’ll be playing in the lower league.

A sudden rise into the top flight – with all the additional costs involved and uncertainty over the TV deal they would need to fund it – would pose a massive headache. Yorkston added: “There are so many ifs, buts and maybes that there’s no sense in speculating too much.

“But safe to say it’s not as straight-forward as just getting back into the SPL and everything will be rosy.

“Whether it was us or Dundee, it would throw plans into turmoil because both clubs have beenbudgeting for the First Division.

“All of our players’ contracts have wages agreed for when they play in the SPL and a lower wage for the FirstDivision, so those still with us have taken a cut and others have moved on.

“My fear is that the new season will probably have started by the time this comes to a conclusion, which will bring even more chaos to a situation that has already dragged on for too long.”

Rangers hopes of getting away with a Scottish Cup ban seem even more remote when you consider that one of the men due to sit in judgment was the last club chairman to suffer the same sanction.

Spartans’ chief Craig Graham was dismayed when the East of Scotland League side were thrown out for the crime of using a player whose new contract had only been dated once.

The SFA demand contracts are dated twice and therefore ruled that striker Keith McLeod had been ineligible to play in Spartans’ 2-0 win over Culter.

That cost the Edinburgh club alucrative third-round tie with Partick Thistle plus a £4000 fine – a heavy price for such a small administrative error.

Graham oversaw Gers’ original appeal against the 18-month transfer embargo along with Lord Carloway and former Partick Thistle chairman Allan Cowan.

Their decision to uphold the embargo meted out by the SFA’s judicial tribunal (comprising Gary Allan QC, Raith Rovers director Eric Drysdale and journalist Alastair Murning) led to Gers ill-advised approach to the Court of Session.

Now they’ll have the whole sorry mess dropped back in their laps again and are expected to sit within the next two weeks to assess what little options remain at their disposal.

If Yorkston represents the majority view in Scottish football then there is no decision to be made. And if Spartans chief Graham felt his club were harshly treated to be kicked out of the Scottish Cup for an honest administrative slip-up, there seems little chance of him approving the same sanction for blatant, pre-meditated deceit.

As far as the SPL are concerned we are gone, we don't have a say, so they are free to change the rules to suit themselves, just don't expect them to judge themselves and fellow members -pals- by last years rules.

Watch out for this years new rulebook.

Published on Sunday 6 May 2012 00:00

JOHN Yorkston, the Dunfermline Athletic chairman, will urge his Scottish Premier League counterparts to stand by the principles of sporting integrity when they are asked to decide on the future of Rangers this week.

Cant wait for this prat to find out what the principles of sporting integrity really are. :moon::peanut::21:

It's like watching a cow getting slaughtered.

Sick curiosity of how it's done and I'm unsure whether I want to see it, but SO looking forward to the steak.

With a "sporting integrity" sauce, of course.

Get it done now, I'm hungry.

If Rangers were to pay the ultimate sanction, the additional place in the SPL could see either Dunfermline spared relegation or Dundee promoted as last season’s Division One runners-up.

I've paid that little attention to the SPL this season that until reading this I had actually forgot Dunfermline weren't there. Dunfermline is a club who's budget shouldn't have been affected by us being removed which makes it all the more strange.

I was about to post that I feel sorry for them but having been reminded of the sheer vindictiveness and blind hatred shown towards us by that club last summer....demanding punishments for "crimes" we were not guilty of....Fuck them....

I haven't heard an apology or an admission that they acted or commented on inaccurate, prejudiced and agenda driven information which just highlights the lack of class...would feel sorry for the real fans not the Internet integrity brigade but I won't be shedding any tears if east end park is a tesco this time next year!

I feel sorry for Jim Leishman, their fans that thought kicking us while we were down was a bad idea etc.

Yorkston however should have known better. We have took a big support to their gaff for how many years? How many players did they get on loan from us for fuck all that they could never have bought? How many times did that keep them going or in the SPL?

McGregor played there for the best part of a season.

He made his bed, and so did those supporters too short-sighted in their hatred of us to see the truth of their situation.

And the Scottish FA has issued a notice of complaint to the Fife club for failing to pay Hamilton its share of gate money for a Scottish Cup tie on 2 February.

This from the club that was more than willing to put a nail in our coffin last year for £83,370.13

To be fair , £83,370.13 is alot more than the gate money.

What is the share for 2500 tickets sold ? :cheers:

Originally from Glasgow but living and working in Fife for the last 12 years. Have a few friends who are die hard Dunfermline supporters, also can’t help but feel sympathy for the many ordinary working people who could lose their jobs, not to mention the DFC supporters losing their team.

Yorkston, Masterton et al are not Dunfermline FC, just like Murray and Whyte were not Rangers FC, and for that reason I truly hope they don’t disappear. I just don’t get the blood lust we have for every other club in Scottish football, we all know who the architects of our expulsion were and it sure as hell wasn’t Dunfermline FC

Originally from Glasgow but living and working in Fife for the last 12 years. Have a few friends who are die hard Dunfermline supporters, also can’t help but feel sympathy for the many ordinary working people who could lose their jobs, not to mention the DFC supporters losing their team.

Yorkston, Masterton et al are not Dunfermline FC, just like Murray and Whyte were not Rangers FC, and for that reason I truly hope they don’t disappear. I just don’t get the blood lust we have for every other club in Scottish football, we all know who the architects of our expulsion were and it sure as hell wasn’t Dunfermline FC

in the interest of sporting integrity if they cant manage there debt the cry from scotland is fuck them. I for 1 would like at least some teams to pump when we are back at the top

Good luck to them...wouldn't wish that on any team . I wanna see Scottish football suffer but I wouldn't want any team to disappear completely . They have not got the support to start from the bottom like us.

If this is the future we are fucked too.... Who would we play?

Personally my favourite games of an spl season were always those against hearts...I'd like to see them in a stronger position too, not because I like them, but for the simple fact when we're back where we belong the 4 games against them are one of the few highlights of an otherwise bog standard boring season.

as for scotlands coefficient by the time were eligible to play in Europe......uh oh :(

All the best to leishman (a proper football man and a gent ) and his club!

The reality is that supporters of every SPL club wanted our club to be killed off last year. It's hard to forgive and forget. That said, I'd like the Pars to survive for the sake of the decent fans in their number and to save people from losing their jobs. I wouldn't feel quite so charitable towards a couple of other clubs I could mention, though.

They're operating on a "cash in, cash out" basis.

It could be liquidation for them.

They also have about £6m debt which they have massaged off the club books into a separate company.

With Hearts, Killie and Aberdeen suffering, and many others not far off, it's really looking like their payback is arriving.

Could be sold as a 'Going Concern', if anyone is interested in buying their assets.

Otherwise, No former holding company (liquidated), no current holding company (no buyers) = NO CLUB

Simples!

Synchronised sinking. Remembering their stance against Rangers I have no sympathy whatsover. I will stand with folded arms and watch the flapping about as the financial whirlpool draws them under. If they cut their cloth and somehow survive then they are materially weakened - good - let them stay that way or worse for a very long time. If they don't and go into liquidation with or without any recovery in some other form then so be it. I'll then stand with folded arms to wait for then next participant in the synchronised sinking show and hope that it is an SPL outfit. The widespread and still current anti-Rangers agenda stretching right through to active harm intended or applied against Rangers is so serious that in more ordinary times of fan rivalry some sympathy and maybe even support might have been generated for these clubs. But not any more and for me it is very far from any aspect of 'moving on'. If I had a lifebelt to throw to them I'd be keeping hold of it because when Rangers needed help all it got was attempts to add lead weights to bring us down.