How is our wage bill so high?

According to papers etc. our wage bill is around 6-7million a year (correct me if i'm wrong). Now I know its about a third of what it was 5 years ago, but i'm still baffled as to how we're spending so much despite Ally stating "we need more bodies in" and that we "barely have enough players to fill the bench"...

Is it just me or does something not add up? Either the likes of McCulloch, Alexander, Wallace are being paid a small fortune, or we're handing out bumper youth contracts like there was no tomorrow.

Realistically in the division we're in, we should be spending in line with most SPL clubs (barring the tims). I read the other week that Hearts have a wage bill of around 3 million a year, and even then their cutting that. So how on earth are we managing to spend double them, and still struggle our way to the title? Teams around us must be spending what, 100k a year on wages at most?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to papers etc. our wage bill is around 6-7million a year (correct me if i'm wrong). Now I know its about a third of what it was 5 years ago, but i'm still baffled as to how we're spending so much despite Ally stating "we need more bodies in" and that we "barely have enough players to fill the bench"...

Is it just me or does something not add up? Either the likes of McCulloch, Alexander, Wallace are being paid a small fortune, or we're handing out bumper youth contracts like there was no tomorrow.

Realistically in the division we're in, we should be spending in line with most SPL clubs (barring the tims). I read the other week that Hearts have a wage bill of around 3 million a year, and even then their cutting that. So how on earth are we managing to spend double them, and still struggle our way to the title? Teams around us must be spending what, 100k a year on wages at most?

If we want the best youngesters we have to pay decent wages or they will go else where, if we want to hounour the contrats of those who stayed we have to pay them what was in the contracts (I am not sure about Boccanegra and Goin) how much their loan clubs are paying of there wages but I would assume we pay some of that.

Templeton, Black, Sandaza and Sheils will acount for mure than £1M between them - Green is on something like £400k - and I imaging Ally would not be far off that - it soon all adds up.

I think it's safe to assume we are overpaying some players for what we are getting back (sandazza) but I'd take anything you read in the papers with a pinch of salt at least until such times as the full financial reports are published!

Because guys that moved over from last season are still on their SPL wage added to other SPL players we had to pay well to come here. We didn't have time for big contract negotiations in the summer when we hardly had any players and needed guys in quick, when it comes round to contract talks this summer Green will be a lot smarter with what he is offering players.

So how much is that worth do you reckon? Davis, Whittaker, Shagger all on 20 grand at least, add to that Edu, Broaders, Aluko etc.

Maybe accounted for over a million quid of the wage bill? So it may be an actual wage bill of 6 mill?

Even if it comes in at 5 million.

For an sfl team to be spending that and still struggling week in week out against part timers on expenses is a disgrace

The thought of increasing this to win the 2nd division is disheartening.

struggling not, performing good enough not. Thr a difference

Even if it comes in at 5 million.

For an sfl team to be spending that and still struggling week in week out against part timers on expenses is a disgrace

The thought of increasing this to win the 2nd division is disheartening.

and lets be clear we are not just planning a season at a time we are planning long term so whatever ee do does not mean it's for the sole purpose of the next title but beyond.

If we want the best youngesters we have to pay decent wages or they will go else where, if we want to hounour the contrats of those who stayed we have to pay them what was in the contracts (I am not sure about Boccanegra and Goin) how much their loan clubs are paying of there wages but I would assume we pay some of that.

Templeton, Black, Sandaza and Sheils will acount for mure than £1M between them - Green is on something like £400k - and I imaging Ally would not be far off that - it soon all adds up.

Ally is on 750K, McDowell and Durrant are on combined close to what Green is on. So we are spending somewhere between 1-1.5M on these three and probably between our entire coaching staff somewhere north of 2M. Since you are such a staunch defender of our coaching staff do you think we are getting value?

struggling not, performing good enough not. Thr a difference

Having only missed 3 home games all season bar 2 games we have struggled to break teams down and looked shakey at the back, against part times.

My opinion of course but one im not alone in.

Ally is on 750K, McDowell and Durrant are on combined close to what Green is on. So we are spending somewhere between 1-1.5M on these three and probably between our entire coaching staff somewhere north of 2M. Since you are such a staunch defender of our coaching staff do you think we are getting value?

Where is the proof of these figures or are we just to accept your stab at it?