Barcelona Roll Call - Where were you on this day in 1972

I was in Barcelona for the Cup Winners Cup Final. Flew there from Prestwick in a Pink Plane with a school friend Ewan Chester.

We had a great day hanging about on the Ramblas experiencing cheap booze for the first time before the big game itself.

I have the Bull Fighter poster which we have in the trophy room at Ibrox and some other souvenirs.

The little bit of turf I brought home sat on my windowsill for a long time.

I missed my bus to the Airport so got a lift on another one, spent all my pesetas in the bar then home to go to work & sleep all day until the boss woke me up at 4pm & told me to go home.

Flew with Dan-Air from Prestwick with Tannochside Club, Banner made from Remnant's in Bellshill.R

Remember having Willie Johnson's top on and was offered a fortune for it after the game, was tempted, but knew my mate would have killed me if i had sold it (as he got it for me).

Best 3 days ever with the Gers :21:

Listening to the game on the radio (I think).

However my first and lasting memory of being at ibrox was being there when the barca bears paraded the trophy round the stadium on the back of that 'coal lorry', and that was me hooked.

I was 7 at the time and I'm reliably informed that nine of us travelled to ibrox squashed into a ford consul that day.

(If any traffic cops are reading this I'm only kidding)

No I'm not :uk:

Spent a week at Lorret-De-Mar,with my mother,brother,uncle,cousin and some friends never forget the look on the Rangers players faces when they drew up at to the stadium,especially Alfie Conn.Stopped my brother and cousin going onto the pitch at what we thought was the final whistle.Got to say we had a great time.We spoke to a few Spaniards after the game they seemed delighted that our support sorted out the security squad seems they were bad bastards.

Arrived in LLoret on the Sunday afternoon after a flight from Prestwick. Only real memory of the flight was coming in to land and a bevvied up Bear walking the aisle with a hat taking a wee collection for the pilot.

Rest of the week was spent in the company of fellow Bears and a few females on their hols.

Day of the game refused to drink as I wanted to savour every moment from the bus journey to Barcelona, to the pre-match atmosphere, to being on the pitch talking to the players warming up about 90 minutes before the game..... then the match. When we scored 1-2-3 it was hard to believe it was all not just a dream.

Great result, great day, great five days actually. Remember being in a disco in thew wee hours after the match and the closest we could get to 'Rangers music' was Chelsea's 'Blue is the Colour',

memories...............................

11 of us (all students) hired a 12 seat landrover and left on the Sunday before the game arriving back on the next Saturday. Hovercraft from Ramsgate to Dover but the return trip was delayed due to bad weather. Switched to the ferry and it took 8 hours to get across. Too rough to get in port. This is a pic of 5 of us taken on Thursday at the hilltop behind the city (called Tibidabo). There's a big basilica there. The priest came out and applauded our singing (Follow, Follow,Sash,TBB, the lot) I'm the one in the middle.rangersmedia-1369402121-U52920.jpg

i was at the game,

my fondest memory was at the Airport on the way home, when the bars were full of bears celebrating,

people were going on to any plane it didn,t matter, one bloke said to his mate, fuck it we,ve missed our flight, his mate replied in all seriousness fuck it we,ll just get the next one, as if they were talking about a no. 52 bus

security was not like to-day, and i think the airport staff just got bears on any plane to clear the airport.

i did make it back to see the parade at Ibrox. magical

fond memories

I was fifteen and spent a very nervous day at school waiting to watch the game on television that night.

Younger Bears will find this ubelievable but it wasn't even shown live on TV, we had a choice of listening to it live on radio or avoiding the score and watching the delayed transmission on STV .My old man opted to wait till it came on TV and we successfully managed to start watching it as if it was really just happening, I think he had a mate from his work up to watch it with us as well. I can't recall hearing any celebrations around and we lived in quite a staunch Bluenose area, so most folk must have done the same regarding watching it without knowing the score.

So big Colin Stein put us ahead, we were delirious. Wee Bud added a second, we were even deliriouser. Half-time whistle goes, and we're saying "this is brilliant, if we can only hold on and win it". Then just before the adverts come on, Arthur Montford - who must have known most people would be watching without knowing the final score - says something like "Well. what a great first half performance from Rangers - join us after the break to see three great goals". It didn't take Albert Einstein to work out that when Bud scored the third, we must have won.

Watched the delayed transmission at my aunty Nana's house with my big cousin John (both ardent bears) the last fifteen minutes where fucking torture and then we didn't get presented with the trophy but it was just magical, especially for those of us who remembered the Nuremburg robbery!! My aunty is well in her eighties now and is still Rangers daft.

Was 12 years old, had been to all the home qualifying games but was not allowed to go to Barcelona.

My Dad and Uncle were down the pub during the actual game. I avoided the TV and radio from 7 o clock till 10 o clock. (I think the delayed transmision was on just after 10.) My mum and sister were not too interested in football.

When I knew the 90 minutes were up at around 10 o clock I put on TV not knowing the score. The newscaster announced we were 3-2 up with a few minutes to go due to a slight delay at the end. Bastard. Avoided the TV for another 20 minutes then switched it on to watch the whole game.

Watched the whole game knowing it would be 3-2 with a few minutes to go, but not knowing the final score.

Fortunately it ended 3-2. :21: