Glasgow Boyne Celebrations and Central Scotland

Skelf

There has in the past been plans by the orange order to mark the battle of culloden with a service.

Thanks for that. Seriously, I have no idea what it is about as I have deliberately avoided the whole thing. It always made me feel uncomfortable, I am not suggesting that it should be banned. I feel that if you don't know about something you should ask before making your mind up about it.

Me and the mrs will be there enjoying the bands and the music with no alcohol involved .

I sometimes wonder whats going on in this forum , reading some of the crap from so called Gers fans .........

There is usually alcohol involved.

Thanks for that. Seriously, I have no idea what it is about as I have deliberately avoided the whole thing. It always made me feel uncomfortable, I am not suggesting that it should be banned. I feel that if you don't know about something you should ask before making your mind up about it.

Read up on it, you'll find it's a pretty significant event in terms of how this country was shaped! (tu)

Ok so it's a connection to the fans and not the club then?

Without trying to start a fight or piss people off, why are there no marches to commemorate the battle of culloden then? It has the same loyalist connection, the jacobites wanted James back on the throne while the government forces were fighting to maintain the staus quo. Surely in essence the battle of the boyne and culloden are the same.

You'd need to ask a member of the OO that.

Change the title of the thread to "Easily offended? Then post here!"

The Orange Order's annual Church Parade to Ibrox Stadium was one of the highlights of the year.

Decade upon decade we marched into Ibrox.

I also marched into Ibrox for the Boys Brigade annual Church Parade.

Both are Protestant groups. Many of whom were Rangers supporters.

Maybe some of the "easily offended" were unaware of that fact.

If only everyone who didnt know the details asked first before jumping to prejudices (tu)

What an absolutely appalling and ignorant statement, which I will deal with in due course.

But firstly its amazing how many people within this thread are claiming it has no connection with Rangers whatsoever. Perhaps in my advancing years my ears are suffering from some kind of hallucination, but I would swear that the song repertoire I hear Bears singing reflects something completely different to that. The Sash, Derry's Walls, Build My Gallows to name but a few...are they not reflective of a Protestant/Loyalist culture which appears to be very much alive within our support ? So to suggest that there is no connection to Rangers would appear to be completely at odds with the facts.

The Battle of the Boyne had a significant impact on the whole of Europe.The Grand Alliance (League of Augsburg) was a European Union of States which sought to halt the advance of French colonialism under Louis the 14th. Both King William and the Holy Roman Empire were part of that Grand Alliance, in fact it was on the advice of the former that the latter actually formed the League of Augsburg or Grand Alliance. Pope Alexander the 8th was part of the aforesaid alliance.

On a more localised scale Irish Protestants (many of them Ulster Scots) supported William whilst Irish Catholics favoured James.The armies reflected such allegiances and also supported the wider European context of this battle previously alluded to. The Williamite army consisted of Dutch, Danes, Prussian and French Hugenots as well as Scots/Irish and English Protestants, whilst the forces of James consisted of French troops augmented by Irish Catholic infantrymen.

William's victory at the Boyne was a major factor in the shaping of the country we know today as the United Kingdom. Perhaps even more so in Scotland, where following the Scottish Reformation, Presbyterianism was still in something of an infancy, but was to go on to shape the Scotland we know today and its ability to do so was in no small part as a result of William's Boyne victory.

Of course opposition to Orange marches is a fairly new thing, not only in Scotland but Northern Ireland also. Ruth Dudley Edwards explains the sinister motivation behind it in her book "The Faithful Tribe".

Thankyou D'artagnan

The Jewel in the Rangers support, if we had a thousand D'artagnans the world would be a better place

Genuine question, sorry if it offends some.

What is the point of these marches and exactly what do they have to do with Rangers? I'm a mason and proud of it, but this celebration of a battle hundreds of years ago that has no connection to my club is baffling.

Why do you conflate the issues of Freemasonry, Which is what I gather you mean by 'I'm a mason', and the Orange Order. Normally only the bheasts are guilty of this confusion. The latter in spite of the fact Daniel O'Connell, of the Catholic emancipation was a member of the GLoI. Still their ignorance is to be expected.

Genuine question, sorry if it offends some.

What is the point of these marches and exactly what do they have to do with Rangers? I'm a mason and proud of it, but this celebration of a battle hundreds of years ago that has no connection to my club is baffling.

I am also proud to be a mason, whether some people like it or not, the masons, Orange order and the parades have to me always been linked to Rangers. I've not only followed the parades but also participated in them most of my life. Never been pissed, cautioned or arrested at any of them. If people don't like them, SIMPLES; Don't Go.

Has that GIJoe bastard been banned yet? for the first time ever on a forum I don't have the heart to go back the pages and see if he's posted any more offensive bile

Nope and made a second post that was hoaching. He probably wont be banned.

Can't be bothered replying to the other similarly laughable replies. So many ignorant and sadly vocal bigots pollute our support it's no wonder we're such a target. People like you leave us vulnerable so for the press it's like shooting fish in a barrel. The sooner we concentrate on supporting the Gers and drop shit like this the better.

Can't be bothered because you've lost the argument, eh?

Nope and made a second post that was hoaching. He probably wont be banned.

I've not read through the thread yet, but I've read a couple of reports quoting posts of his. Let's be clear about one thing - disagreeing with loyalist traditions and marches is not a banning offence, so if that's all he's done then no, he probably won't be banned. Many of us may not agree with him, but he won't be banned just for disagreeing - that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

As I said, I've not yet read the thread and may not have time to read it now, but if any poster has done something to merit a ban let me know, by PM or report.

I've not read through the thread yet, but I've read a couple of reports quoting posts of his. Let's be clear about one thing - disagreeing with loyalist traditions and marches is not a banning offence, so if that's all he's done then no, he probably won't be banned. Many of us may not agree with him, but he won't be banned just for disagreeing - that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

As I said, I've not yet read the thread and may not have time to read it now, but if any poster has done something to merit a ban let me know, by PM or report.

You haven't read the thread yet?? What-the-fuck are you doing all day........working?? Can't you be here 24-7 monitoring every word, sentence and paragraph? What-the-fuck do you think this is......a hobby?? :pipe:

C'mon now....get it together and ban anyone whose moniker ends in a 'n'.........(Oh wait a minute......... :matron: )