We are getting it wrong

We need a bench mark of quailty that the youth can raise their game to, that is part of why a good quality squad is needed. if we can drip feed 1 or 2 youth in to the full sqaud every year then we will be doing very well.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rangers v Airdrie Nov 9th 2013

The average age of the starting 11 plus the 3 subs that came on is 24.7 years of age.

Lewis Macleod - 19

Sebastian Faure - 22

Nicky Clark - 22

Robbie Crawford - 20

Fraser Aird - 18

5 players in that match aged 22 or under. What's wrong with that? I think the point is, most of the players in our squad will be at their peak age when we're in the Premiership. If we went in to the Premiership with just young lads and got an absolute doing our first year, there would be an outcry for the manager to be sacked and for us to spend big and by in players who can win the league.

Do you think the young players who aren't getting a chance will be good enough in 18 months to beat Septic? You really think these games against part timers will be good practice for our young players, who will then have to play full time professionals, some with champions league experience.

We need a bench mark of quailty that the youth can raise their game to, that is part of why a good quality squad is needed. if we can drip feed 1 or 2 youth in to the full sqaud every year then we will be doing very well.

I'm pretty sure this is the way Rangers have always done things. Have a couple of strong youth players integrated amongst older, experienced players who they can then learn from and develop further.

Threads of a similar nature crop up on here time and time again, but I'm never quite sure where all these young players we should be filling the team with actually come from or how the club is supposed to have revamped its entire coaching and footballing philosophy in the space of a year.

I'm also never quite sure what posters class as a young player? Early twenties? Late teens? Mid teens? Is anyone seriously suggesting we fill the side with young lads who are barely shaving yet and expect to sweep through the leagues scoring goals by the bucket-load? As a club we're simply not in a position where we can risk spending a few more years in the lower divisions as a bedding-in experience for younger players, despite what anyone on here especially says, the fans would not accept that.

It may be the case that we simply have to write-off some of the older age groups if its clear they don't have what it takes, in which case the manger does need to do what he has done and build a squad capable of playing together moderately well for the next couple of years. If it is correct that we have an impressive group of players at the younger end of the scale, i.e under 13's but not much after that, then regardless of what league we were in or who the manager is, we're not going to bear the fruit of this for maybe 5 years. And even when we do, will the fan-base accept the inherent inconsistencies associated with blooding a number of young players at one time if it means finishing second to celtic? Recent history certainly would suggest not. We're a very good support at building up young players (and unfortunately their ego's) into the next big thing before they have kicked a ball a senior level only to dismiss them very quickly when they don't match those expectations.

I just personally don't agree that our demotion to the bottom tier of the league can be considered as an ideal scenario for implementing any major changes in philosophy simply due to the massively increased levels of pressure and expectation that we will canter through the leagues. If anything, it is the tims who should be able to blood young players in domestic and european football ready for our return to the top. However, luckily for us it seems that they are perfectly happy to continue to bring in random foreign players (albeit apparently lifelong fans) and focus on bringing in european money to see them through to the next season.

Once we are back on an even footing with them, within a season or two it'll be back to how its always been, with both sides linked with the same random foreign or decent SPL players with the title to-ing and fro-ing between us and our journey through the leagues will quickly be forgotten about when the once again all that matters to the majority of fans will be beating celtic by any means possible.

Some really good chat in here. Interesting to see folk who appear to be quite behind the current regime at board level being perhaps rightly miffed that the same people didnt use our demotion as a springboard for promoting youth, investing in scouting etc.

A point to add. We'd all love a team of young talented players. However, I'm fairly certain there was no plan B should we have not got promoted every year. It would (and still could, theoretically) cause unimaginable damage given our ongoing financial issues. I'm not sure Green and co thought we could afford to risk it.

Also, January will be our first window to sign players - I'd love if we secured a few talented young players, but does anyone realistically think we can afford to pay any kinds of transfer fees?

Also, January will be our first window to sign players - I'd love if we secured a few talented young players, but does anyone realistically think we can afford to pay any kinds of transfer fees?

I don't think we can and if things are tight then we have enough for the rest of the season and next if need be rather than spend money we might not have.

I think we need to lose players before we bring much more in too, we have a very substantial squad given where we are and hopefully we can trim those deemed not good enough and bring in a few who will slot straight in and be of a better quality.

In terms of young talent, any ideas of names?

I don't think we can and if things are tight then we have enough for the rest of the season and next if need be rather than spend money we might not have.

I think we need to lose players before we bring much more in too, we have a very substantial squad given where we are and hopefully we can trim those deemed not good enough and bring in a few who will slot straight in and be of a better quality.

In terms of young talent, any ideas of names?

It was more in reference to some folk thinking we could cherry pick young players and bring them in. I think some people remain unaware of our situation and think we have cash to spend.

This squad would definitely do for a couple of years but of course, if we had the funds, it would be lovely to have the option to pick some players up if the deal suited us and would strengthen the side.

And of course, players have to go our before we could even think about adding.

I'd love us to go for Ryan Gauld. - he's absolutely superb, he's gonna be brilliant. However that's way above what we could aim for right now, both financially and because United would be cunts about selling to us. Really think he's going to the top (In a Scottish sense, at least)

There's some good young lads out there but don't think Scottish clubs are in the mood to sell to us on the cheap anymore. Jordan McGhee and Mark O Hara are two young guys I'd love to see us linked with mind. They'll be great centre halves if developed correctly

yes he can say that but how's it going to get rectified at the moment? it isn't so what do people expect?

If nobody asks it will never happen. You could ask outside for an independent review. Lets bring a foreign coach in with a proven youth development record to have a look, for example.

My concern will be if we continue to extend youth players contracts, not play them or try to offload them after 6 months and then bring in more seasoned players.If they aren't good enough let them go and save the wage.

I have no idea about young talent given I hardly watch Scottish foobtall outwith ourselves since we got demoted down the divisions. Is that United kid the one that was being watched by European clubs? I think I read it in the Metro a while back.

I think players will be more willing to move to us next season given it will be 1 season till we are back in the big time by then however the better ones (outside Scotland) will no doubt be wary with no European football ect.

The days of cherry picking young players for buttons are gone for our club, every penny we spend from now on has to be thought out and not just gambled on as was the case before administration.

If nobody asks it will never happen. You could ask outside for an independent review. Lets bring a foreign coach in with a proven youth development record to have a look, for example.

My concern will be if we continue to extend youth players contracts, not play them or try to offload them after 6 months and then bring in more seasoned players.If they aren't good enough let them go and save the wage.

All if this costs money, which we don't have right now. It's a nice idea and something I'd love us to do, but at a time when we can afford to do so.

As for the youth players, I agree. That's why I was happy Hemmings was let go, to let him go and play football somewhere and hopefully got him to become a player. It's why I expect Mitchell and a few more to go next summer too. Other than the Naismith/Cole farces last season though, is this a common thing at our club? I'm genuinely unsure. Are there lots of other examples of us extending contracts then not playing lads?

I have no idea about young talent given I hardly watch Scottish foobtall outwith ourselves since we got demoted down the divisions. Is that United kid the one that was being watched by European clubs? I think I read it in the Metro a while back.

I think players will be more willing to move to us next season given it will be 1 season till we are back in the big time by then however the better ones (outside Scotland) will no doubt be wary with no European football ect.

The days of cherry picking young players for buttons are gone for our club, every penny we spend from now on has to be thought out and not just gambled on as was the case before administration.

Spot on. Careful planning necessary. And aye, presume that's Gauld, he'll be off to a good team soon I'd imagine. Really rate him

The best youth academies in the world have a motto of, if they can produce 1-2 players every 2 seasons that become regulars in the first team squad they are doing very well. I know that our current level is no comparison to the top leagues across Europe. Last season we were forced into using 6 of our youngsters regularly in the first team. Hegarty, Hutton, Macleod, McKay, Aird, Crawford.

This season the only one remaining is Macleod, due to his consistent high levels of performance. Still we have produced a player who can be described as a first team regular and arguably one of our better players currently. If we can continue this through the next few seasons and beyond we will be doing perfectly fine. Hopefully as the season progresses we will see the next batch make their attempts on the first team. We can demand they should play as much as we want but in the end it all comes down to them to take their opportunites when they arise.

The leading candidates, as far as I can see, are Stoney(17), Walsh(17), Telfer(18), Dykes(17) and Murdoch(18). If 1 or 2 of these boys can take their chances and push to become first team regulars towards the second half of the season we will be well on the way to continuing to produce at least 1 youth player a year that makes an impact on our first team. It might not be seen as enough for some on here as it is but any youth set up requires time, money and patience before you'll see meaningful, consistent results. Quite often on here people lean towards the negative view that all is wrong and we have failed before we have really started.

Let's say, hypothetically of course, in 5 years time we have Macleod, with Aird or Crawford or McKay also taking the next step and one or two of this next batch taking their chances then we could see our first team squad containing 4 or 5 of our youth products all in their early twenties. IMO, this wouldn't be a bad return for us.

The reason people have the negative view on the youth players (lack of) is that only a handfull have came through that have been of a good standard since we spent a fortune to have one of the best set ups in Britain at the time.

From what I have so far only Lewis looks to be comfortable in our side and stands out from the rest of our younger players. Crawford, McKay and Aird have had moments but those are very breif so I can't say from what I have seen from them against the poorer teams that they will make it when we return to the top.

Of course it's all guesswork at this point.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the limited times I've seen him I think Murdoch has a huge future ahead of him.

Tbh though barely any team other than the hibs one of a few years ago and Crewe last season can claim to have nearly a full 11 of youths or players who came through the ranks.

Let's face it that hibs team were good but nothing more

the cost of an independent review would likely cover the youth wages for 6 months to a year. At this stage it's not what we need. Once the board are settled and more money raised, that's when we can look at that sort of thing.

A lot of people are dismissing this with the assumption that "our youth aren't good enough", which by the way I agree with, but why is that? Why are a club our size not able to attract and identify the top young talent and develop them? What are we doing to address this? I go back to what I said earlier but we have approached this hiatus/journey the wrong way! We should have used this as an opportunity to build an infrastructure that was sustainable and profitable, focussing on long term development in scouting, coaching, youth etc.....by focussing on each individual season all we are doing is repeating the process we did as an SPL team and overpaying when we don't need to!

I think we're cursed by geography. Too much young talent falls through the cracks in Scotland for reasons other than football.

I think we're cursed by geography. Too much young talent falls through the cracks in Scotland for reasons other than football.

I agree and unfortunatly if anything that will get worse with the attitude of young players and kids in general nowadays in this country....however there is a whole world out there of untapped talent that we have never explored....we have a great facility and should be able to attract players worldwide and sell our club as a stepping stone to the EPL....unfortunatly we have never addressed our scouting and youth recruitment with the long term vision it requires!