We are getting it wrong

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The team we had playing before the 1st of Sept was perhaps the one we should have kept going, the addition of Law and Daly seemed to provide the missing element. Get the feeling we are going to need the big squad we have, between injury and suspension every man will need to play his part.

The problem is any many others have highlighted is the lack of patience and that problem is not exclusive to our club. For years we have been engaged with Celtic in a 2 horse race where failure is not an option. When we finally return to the top flight that race will re-commence unabated, in fact with more vigour given what has happened to us.

It will never happen but if Rangers and Celtic were to be given a "handicap" that they each had to field 4 maybe even 5 under 21 year olds it would make for an interesting set up. Both the clubs would benefit significantly long term as those young players matured as would the national side - it would also make for a far more interesting league.

We have a great chance to blood young guys to make them good players before we get to the top flight and we are wasting it.

We should have a spine of - Bell, Mohsni, McCulloch, Law, Daly - surrounded by youngsters.

McLeod, McKay, Aird are 3 who jump out but we've got other boys who could develop into good players.

We should even look at bringing 17/18 year olds from other clubs in.

Stating the obvious maybe but why isn't it obvious to our management team?

Good post mate and one I agree with . In two years time .Ally will be forced to buy quality as enough good young players will be thin on the ground .Yes we have a few but not enough.Daly ,McCulloch will have done their job and the young ones that we could be playing more often at present while the league is now won ,wont have the nessesary experience .

Maybe, just maybe mind, if we wrap up the league early enough, & have not won every game in league, we can blood a few more youngsters in 1st team? This would, IMO, be a perfect opportunity to see how far the Rangers Youths have come, or am I just an old romantic???

The problem is any many others have highlighted is the lack of patience and that problem is not exclusive to our club. For years we have been engaged with Celtic in a 2 horse race where failure is not an option. When we finally return to the top flight that race will re-commence unabated, in fact with more vigour given what has happened to us.

It will never happen but if Rangers and Celtic were to be given a "handicap" that they each had to field 4 maybe even 5 under 21 year olds it would make for an interesting set up. Both the clubs would benefit significantly long term as those young players matured as would the national side - it would also make for a far more interesting league.

You are right d'art but the thing that gets to me is that competition and pressure of competing with Celtic was lifted with our demotion....we had 3 years playing in the lower divisions in which to plan long term for the first time on many many years....yet we have failed to take that chance!

Agree mate. We should have built a team around guys like Perry, Cole, Mitchell, Hemmings, Naismith.

It would be our version of the Man U golden generation.

Sell them for millions then still have Hegarty, McAusland, Aird, Crawford, McKay to do the same again.

I was going to mention you in a post in here, we know your thoughts on ally but you've always said its a bad crop of youths other than McLeod

Yeah

See even tbh (tin hat on) sometimes McLeod is awful too but he's got immense talent so is worth persevering with as he's young and raw

An element of our support don't have the patience to give our youth a chance. Ally played youngsters after the title was mathematically ours last season. He told us it was for their future development and that the football may not be pretty What did a noteable element of the crowd do? Booed teenagers at half and full time. No doubt crushing their confidence. Shameful behaviour.

The simple fact is the majority of the current crop aren't good enough.

As they say, you can't polish a turd and I think even the most optimistic of fan would be making a bold statement if they could honestly say that they thought that guys like Hegarty, Perry, Hutton & Naismith could become Rangers stalwarts.

The long term goal has to be to develop the youth system so we can see the rewards of it in 5 year time or so.

And? I won't deny I wanted him gone after that, it was an embarrassing defeat in the 1st round of a cup we were aiming to make a real impact in.

Can't argue with results since but it doesn't make that Forfar defeat any more acceptable.

I think this sums up supporters these days. One game they don't like and they want a manager sacked. You were probably one of those who hounded out Le Guen and protested outside Ibrox (The only time I've seen the Rangers fans as divided as they are today).

If you wanted nice football and decent youth, the greatest opportunity for that to develop was under Paul Le Guen. He had a good European run, but was piss poor in the league and for this the fans wanted him out. Our fans don't have the patience for our team or manager to get it wrong on a regular basis, and if the young lads all played, and we got pumped, you'd blame McCoist and want him gone.

The real problem is, our youth just aren't good enough. You can sit and say they're playing part timers all you want, it doesn't make the technical ability of our young players any better. It's always been the case, there's been one or two stand out young players, and the rest were never good enough.

I'm looking at how Hearts have done this season. Were our youths of last season good enough to do the same ?

great training facilities at Auchenhowie, what's the problem ?

Their doing well their bottom of the league on -4 after 13 games and look as if they will be relegated this season great example to use.

A lot of people are dismissing this with the assumption that "our youth aren't good enough", which by the way I agree with, but why is that? Why are a club our size not able to attract and identify the top young talent and develop them? What are we doing to address this? I go back to what I said earlier but we have approached this hiatus/journey the wrong way! We should have used this as an opportunity to build an infrastructure that was sustainable and profitable, focussing on long term development in scouting, coaching, youth etc.....by focussing on each individual season all we are doing is repeating the process we did as an SPL team and overpaying when we don't need to!

Yeah

See even tbh (tin hat on) sometimes McLeod is awful too but he's got immense talent so is worth persevering with as he's young and raw

Aye Lewis can be poor at times, a combination of him being shunted a bit further out than the centre and looking rather jaded at times. I think the rest will have done him the world of good.

A lot of people are dismissing this with the assumption that "our youth aren't good enough", which by the way I agree with, but why is that? Why are a club our size not able to attract and identify the top young talent and develop them? What are we doing to address this? I go back to what I said earlier but we have approached this hiatus/journey the wrong way! We should have used this as an opportunity to build an infrastructure that was sustainable and profitable, focussing on long term development in scouting, coaching, youth etc.....by focussing on each individual season all we are doing is repeating the process we did as an SPL team and overpaying when we don't need to!

Because the top young talent don't want anything to do with Scottish football? Realistically English clubs will pick up on the best young Scottish players.

If people think our young players aren`t good enough they must also think that our management team isn`t either since it is them that controls our youth setup. If we hand`t wasted so much money on our management team we could have easily afforded a good scouting setup.Lets see what happens in january. What do you think will happen ? buy in a few of the best young talents about or get in 1 or 2 has beens to give them a payday. I know what I think will happen. For me if there isn`t any really good young prospects out there we should`t be getting anyone in.

Because the top young talent don't want anything to do with Scottish football? Realistically English clubs will pick up on the best young Scottish players.

Not really true as most of the scottish national team youths play in this country. We have had opportunity`s to sign players but seem blind to prospects out there.

If people think our young players aren`t good enough they must also think that our management team isn`t either since it is them that controls our youth setup. If we hand`t wasted so much money on our management team we could have easily afforded a good scouting setup.Lets see what happens in january. What do you think will happen ? buy in a few of the best young talents about or get in 1 or 2 has beens to give them a payday. I know what I think will happen. For me if there isn`t any really good young prospects out there we should`t be getting anyone in.

I just put this into Google Translate and it came out as;

"Me no likey Ally."