Ally McCoist agrees with Graham Wallace that it may take five years

Bothwellbear

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it could've been worded better but it's also a refreshing bit of honesty from inside the boardroom,after all these claims of 'warchests' etc,in my eyes it's an honest and open statement informing us the fans of what lays ahead in the near future,reality over fantasy that some previous boardmembers were peddling

We should win the Championship next season having said that Ally shouldn't come out and say

'Aye the Championship is going to be a fucking cakewalk'

So he's right to talk up the competition, shows respect. Save for a Celtic collapse or major investment we're unlikely to win the title in our first year back as well.

Let's focus on winning every league game for the rest of the domestic season & doing well in the cups (tu)

I don't find it acceptable that the manager of Rangers has said we might struggle to win a league next season against nobodies. It's like Lennon admitting the SPL would hard to win this season and next.

Thats the problem Goat, everyone thinks Hearts,Dundee etc are nobodies, i think we will lose games next season but i also think we will win the league, We are not the Rangers we were three seasons ago and folk would do well to remember that, Right now we dont have any investment, or any decent outlook until GW spill out his plans. We are in phase two of our return to the top and we are doing just fine, not the freeflowing football we lust after but getting the job done nonetheless, nobody seems to give any of teams players who are part time any respect at all, they are still fit and are decent footballers who are unlucky that they signed for a club that cannot afford full time footballers

Thats the problem Goat, everyone thinks Hearts,Dundee etc are nobodies, i think we will lose games next season but i also think we will win the league, We are not the Rangers we were three seasons ago and folk would do well to remember that, Right now we dont have any investment, or any decent outlook until GW spill out his plans. We are in phase two of our return to the top and we are doing just fine, not the freeflowing football we lust after but getting the job done nonetheless, nobody seems to give any of teams players who are part time any respect at all, they are still fit and are decent footballers who are unlucky that they signed for a club that cannot afford full time footballers

Sorry but part timers are rotten, end of

So is this what we are going to hear every time we have a new CEO, it was a five year plan last year and

it may well be a five year plan next year and I don't think the fans will stand for it. There is no need for

a five year plan as there are heavy duty investors waiting in the wings, open the door and let them in.

Being respectful or getting an excuse in early? Time will tell.

We will likely struggle, despite the resources we have. However its unacceptable for us not to get promoted again next year.

Did Ally NEED to remark about us potentially not getting promoted,..... sometimes silence is golden Ally.

So is this what we are going to hear every time we have a new CEO, it was a five year plan last year and

it may well be a five year plan next year and I don't think the fans will stand for it. There is no need for

a five year plan as there are heavy duty investors waiting in the wings, open the door and let them in.

Ah, throw money at the problem. The Rangers way right?

Being respectful or getting an excuse in early? Time will tell.

We will likely struggle, despite the resources we have. However its unacceptable for us not to get promoted again next year.

Did Ally NEED to remark about us potentially not getting promoted,..... sometimes silence is golden Ally.

I don't think we will struggle in the slightest, I don't think we will go undefeated, but we will win by at least 10 points IMO

Not by getting into debt but by seeking investment from those prepared to invest.

I'd rather see us implement a good scouting system and bring in cheap talent with the view to selling them on for a profit and THEN investing that money into new players and better quality. I believe that is a much better long term model for the club, I don't want us to go back to paying reasonable players, over a million quid a year to play for us, when there is cheaper talent out there.

The problem with the seeking investment route it that once we get a wedge of investment, and use it to bring in players on better wages, and spending money on transfer fees, we will end up with another bloated squad of high paid players that no one wants to take from us, and we will end up having to seek more and more investment any time we don't qualify for Europe or win the league, or make a serious loss on a player.

The sugar daddy option only works if that guy is willing to pump in obscene amounts of money by himself, and keep topping up the tank any time it's needed. That or we need to get into debt with banks again. Neither are great long term options.

I'd rather see us implement a good scouting system and bring in cheap talent with the view to selling them on for a profit and THEN investing that money into new players and better quality. I believe that is a much better long term model for the club, I don't want us to go back to paying reasonable players, over a million quid a year to play for us, when there is cheaper talent out there.

The problem with the seeking investment route it that once we get a wedge of investment, and use it to bring in players on better wages, and spending money on transfer fees, we will end up with another bloated squad of high paid players that no one wants to take from us, and we will end up having to seek more and more investment any time we don't qualify for Europe or win the league, or make a serious loss on a player.

The sugar daddy option only works if that guy is willing to pump in obscene amounts of money by himself, and keep topping up the tank any time it's needed. That or we need to get into debt with banks again. Neither are great long term options.

We will just have to agree to disagree as I think we need one off heavy investment to kickstart our rise

back to the top.

See to be honest I think this is ally's way of covering his own arse. Doesn't want to say " aye we will challenge in our first or 2nd season back " incase it goes majorly tits up due to his managerial skills(or lack of). Love mccoist to bits but I can't see us getting back to where we wur with him in charge. Just don't think he's manager material as much as it pains me to say.

One particular bit of the artcle caught my attention " .....might take the Ibrox outfit another five years to start challenging Celtic's dominance of the Scottish game". On the assumption that it is not a massive misquote the words that catch the eye are "might" and "start". If the plan is to be that from this point in time it 'might' take 5 years to work our way back to the top league and at the end of that 5 year period we only "start" challenging their dominance then this is surely going to be the most testing time for Supporters. The inference being that only starting to challenge implies it would take a bit longer for the challenge to be successful and we overturn them. It's then also inferred that during that period - and for period within that 5 years when we are in the top flight - we would effectively be uncompetitive. Add to that the qualifer that it 'might' take 5 years. 'Might' could imply it is a long-stop worst case, or it could imply that this is the realistic estimate and anything quicker is a bonus. Or it could imply a best case in which case ....well.... the less said the better.

As others have implied it can be a bit futile to try to predict too far into the future. But two things are currently certain or near certain and both have a material bearing on returning to the very top. One is that Celtic are being handed title after title on a practically uncontested basis and with that the revenues generated from CL football. Put simply - they will be earning easy money and lots of it so will be in a financial position to bolster squad when needed to stave off threats to their dominance of that league. The other is we are recovering financially. Cuts are the order of the day. Creating a war chest of funds for player acquisition to hit a target of 'starting' to challenge is not even on the drawing board yet (it seems). Pinning hope on a future investment being sufficient or on a rich benefactor pumping money would remain speculation until it actually happened (and even if it did would it be enough). The point in mentioning these two financial positions is that during that 5 years or however long it takes there is a big risk that the financial gap gets wider which may make closing the gap on the pitch that much harder.

When the active harm lot could not get rid of Rangers completely, the next best thing was dumping to the basement and having to work back again. Apart from the possibility that we might stumble along the way and not get back with successive promotions, they knew full well that the financial hit on Rangers year after year would stand a chance of weakening our ability to be competitive again when we got back to the top.

The success or not of that 5 year plan will, in my view come down to how well the Manager and squad available to him can perform to achieve that competitiveness and money - serious money. If the squad each season could do the business without serious spending on players that could make the difference between not winning the league and winning it then great. But I presently don't rate the chances of that being high. If serious money is going to be needed then its up to the Board to set out in due course how that is going to be acheived. And in the meantime if we all buy into the 5 year 'might'and 'start' bit it could be a very testing time - probably much more so that the boardroom stuff we've seen recently as this time it will be all down to how well we are doing on the pitch to fulfil the football ambition set out in the plan.