Charlie Telfer Signs for Dundee United

OzGers

When you see our youngster leave Ibrox to join other teams and say things like this alarm bells start to ring:

"I have watched how the younger players at United are allowed to develop in the first team and that has been a big reason in my decision to join the Club"

"United received a lot of praise for their football last season and it was deserved as it is very easy on the eye. I like to get the ball down and play and this is the ideal place for that"

If we're not going to show faith in our youth players in the lower divisions then who can blame them for moving on. This kid wants to play football and he'll get the chance to do that Dundee United. Our poor football is something I've long suspected the players themselves don't like but these long ball tactics is something our manager obviously promotes. I remember watching us play Celtic (the game Wallace had a goal wrongly chopped off) and we had Jelavic up top on his own all night. Our midfield was sitting just in front of our defense and Jelavic was 50 meters away from everyone else at times. I thought our game plan would be to get the ball on the deck and try to control the game. Then the camera went to Ally and he was screaming at guys like Davis to "get it in the box". When the striker is totally isolated like that what does Ally expect him to do? Was Jelavic to win the initial header, bring it down, beat a few players, then score the goal with no support at all? We did this long ball shite with everyone. We had Diouf up there against Celtic, Lafferty up there against Hearts, Healy at times, it's a fucking nightmare.

We have no scouting system, we show very little faith in our young players, and we play the worst brand of football. We need change.

Bang on !!

I think the problem here lies with the lack of faith in the manager, for me anyway.

Telfer may very well go on and achieve fuckall in his career, he may go on to a good one but the bottom line is I don't trust Ally's judgement.

He chased an unbeaten season when he should have been putting the future of Rangers first and giving the young lads a chance.

He's made a complete arse of this journey back to the top, two successive promotions have been delivered, but at what cost to the future?

can't argue with any of that, we had a chance for change, to establish a solid coaching ethic in our youth and build their confidence for the return to the top flight, instead we've delivered pension top ups to the like of Daly and now Miller. We'll return to the SPFL having learned nothing from our previous mistakes and continue to spend where it's not required until the money runs out.

it will take us years to reach any sort of competitive status until a complete overhaul takes place.

Having potential and being good enough are two completely different things. Playing for rangers you need to win there is no room for movement on that. As much as anyone likes to pretend we will for give loosing a handful of games if it means giving young lads with potential a chance. Most people who say this will be the ones ripping the team for not being good enough. I wish the lad well but he will now never get the chance to become a regular for the biggest team in the country. Instead he will more than likely dissappear into nothing like our other young stars. Ness,mccabe ect. They left thinking they would be better off than at home. And where are they now. I feel this will just be another rerun. And next year we will have young players in mcloud and Aird as regulars. Shows g what hard work and dedication to the team you love will get you.

Crawford and Macleod are ahead of him for a cm place, Gallagher, Aird and possibly McKay ahead of him out wide. Should we have binned them to make way for Telfer?

He wasn't given the chance to prove it and if you read his comments that's why he is leaving. He didn't see that situation changing and has quite rightly said bye bye to working with McCoist and moved to a team that gives youngsters a better chance to succeed.

To even try and defend this is beyond me. Youth is not being taken seriously by McCoist and Telfer could see that so moved. Good luck to him.

He wasn't given the chance to prove it and if you read his comments that's why he is leaving. He didn't see that situation changing and has quite rightly said bye bye to working with McCoist and moved to a team that gives youngsters a better chance to succeed.

To even try and defend this is beyond me. Youth is not being taken seriously by McCoist and Telfer could see that so moved. Good luck to him.

He was given the chance. Why do you think we have U20s? What do you think made McCoist pick Gallagher? The boy is such a superstar he regularly rides the bench for Scotland U19s.

What a complete lack of ambition. You are on the road to nowhere now.

:lol: it's actually the exact opposite.....stay with us and maybe earn more money but won't get a chance in the first team whilst expensive "experienced" players are preferred, instead playing infront of a handful of people at an U20 game whilst under the tutelage of a man who is widly lambasted for the lack of youth development or go to a premiership team that encourages youth with a real chance to play regular 1st team football and open up opportunities for yourself down the line!

What a load of tosh being written here this morning, Telfer is no big loss. So what a maybe player has left the club to sign for a lesser one. Better players than Telfer have left Rangers for these clubs over the years and how many of them were a real success? The answer is very,very few.

Having potential and being good enough are two completely different things. Playing for rangers you need to win there is no room for movement on that. As much as anyone likes to pretend we will for give loosing a handful of games if it means giving young lads with potential a chance. Most people who say this will be the ones ripping the team for not being good enough. I wish the lad well but he will now never get the chance to become a regular for the biggest team in the country. Instead he will more than likely dissappear into nothing like our other young stars. Ness,mccabe ect. They left thinking they would be better off than at home. And where are they now. I feel this will just be another rerun. And next year we will have young players in mcloud and Aird as regulars. Shows g what hard work and dedication to the team you love will get you.

Said very similar on the other Telfer thread.

Many seem to listen to soundbites and make their mind up that a youngster (who in reality most will have seen next to nothing of) is a "gem" or "the future" and should be given a run. If we'd listened to that logic, our team season before last would have had an average age of about 18, with the exception of McCulloch, Alexander and Wallace. We wouldn't have bought anyone else and we'd be more than likely still stuck in the bottom tier trying to "develop" youngsters. You only need to look at Wilson, Fleck, McCabe, Ness, Loy, Lennon, Perry, Shinnie and several others to understand the risks on relying on too many youngsters for a team like Rangers isn't going to work and as soon as it's failing, the club and management become the fan target for failure.

In my view, the expectation of youth development allied to guaranteed succes in the situation we found ourselves in was too big a gamble to take when the number one priority was the quickest possible return to the top flight.

Lack of ambition? Clearly he is showing ambition by wanting to go out and play first team football in the highest league in our country. By his comments he clearly knows that was not going to happen at Rangers for some reason or another.

It is disappointing that we seem to have let this boy leave without putting up much of a fight, and look to be set on resigning Miller and perhaps even Boyd. In an ideal world we wouldve given this boy a decent chance and seen him being a regular with the world at his feet.

Alas its not to be, I would however question his LOYALTY and DESIRE to OUR CLUB, And joining scumdee hibernians is a sore one when you take into account the snash and bullshit we have had in dealings with that mhob these last few years. Im betting the compensation settlement will drag on and on and we wont get a decent ammount for the lad.

I dont wish him any bad luck but if it all goes pear shaped joining a Lesser team was his choice and when youve made yer bed you have to lie in it.

It is disappointing that we seem to have let this boy leave without putting up much of a fight, and look to be set on resigning Miller and perhaps even Boyd. In an ideal world we wouldve given this boy a decent chance and seen him being a regular with the world at his feet.

Alas its not to be, I would however question his LOYALTY and DESIRE to OUR CLUB, And joining scumdee hibernians is a sore one when you take into account the snash and bullshit we have had in dealings with that mhob these last few years. Im betting the compensation settlement will drag on and on and we wont get a decent ammount for the lad.

I dont wish him any bad luck but if it all goes pear shaped joining a Lesser team was his choice and when youve made yer bed you have to lie in it.

I believe Falkirk have been fighting one now since 2010.

Lack of ambition? Clearly he is showing ambition by wanting to go out and play first team football in the highest league in our country. By his comments he clearly knows that was not going to happen at Rangers for some reason or another.

A joke League that is already won, in a joke team who ambition seems to be to achieve nothing, the boy will look back on this day and see it as the day his career died.

Well todays news sums it up why the lad left, out goes a 17 year old and in comes a 34 year old, if this doesnt send a signal to other youth players who have potential, Ally you need to have some faith in our youth and stop looking back to the old old days. We all want a future not fucking expiry dates by 2016 players

Can see this being a McCabe / Ness scenario, young player who the internet fans rate massively but has achieved square root of FA , leaves the club and will never be heard of again. DU sub, suspect the guy who signed him will be torbett towers bound soon anyway

It's a good deal for all parties involved, assuming we get the appropriate compensation.

Better players, his age, have made first appearances for us since we dropped down the leagues. I refuse to accept his departure as an excuse to discount McCoist's use of youth; look no further than Macleod and Aird for evidence. McCoist has many faults as a manager, but giving youth a chance isn't one of them.

Dundee United are a good club for Telfer; they feel the need to play on the whole we-give-youth-a-chance, so he'll see some first team action.

Anyone disappointed by this departure needs to seriously re-evaluate their outlook on the Rangers.