Has our ‘style’ of football damaged our brand

graeme_4

How badly (if at all) has our ‘style’ of football damaged our brand?  

272 members have voted

1. 1. How badly (if at all) has our ?style? of football damaged our brand?

• I don't think it has
    • I think it marginally has
    • I think it has had a significant impact
    • I don't think it has yet, but if it continues it will

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the last time I enjoyed our football was about Xmas 2010 when we were firing on all cylinders.

The last 5 games of the 2010-11 season we played some scintillating stuff, Walter let them off the leash and boy did they respond with great football. Ally could of done the same this season but either was too cautious or just doesn't know how to let players flourish in that way.

I've been watching Rangers for 50 years and the only time I've seen us play attractive football was under Advocaat.

I can't comment on Scot Symon's team, I was too young.

Davie White didn't get long enough to stamp his philosophy.

Waddell's team are remembered for Barcelona - three Route One goals.

Jock Wallace first time - long balls and crosses to DJ and Parlane.

Greig tried to play football and was a failure.

Jock Wallace second time - least said the better.

Souness had us steamrollering teams with the class of player he bought in, but silky football?

Walter first time -we all know Walter's style.

Advocaat I have already mentioned.

Eck at least made an effort, with mixed results.

PLG - tried and failed to change everything.

Walter second time - see Walter first time.

Ally - tries to be Walter but isn't.

I don't think the brand of football has necessarily damaged the brand but if Ally's teams had been playing good football week in week out it would have bought him and the team some goodwill when the results went against us.Maybe its a bit naive to think that playing good football would mean that some of Ally's critics would have been silenced but i think it would have definitely helped Ally's cause.

I've been watching Rangers for 50 years and the only time I've seen us play attractive football was under Advocaat.

I can't comment on Scot Symon's team, I was too young.

Davie White didn't get long enough to stamp his philosophy.

Waddell's team are remembered for Barcelona - three Route One goals.

Jock Wallace first time - long balls and crosses to DJ and Parlane.

Greig tried to play football and was a failure.

Jock Wallace second time - least said the better.

Souness had us steamrollering teams with the class of player he bought in, but silky football?

Walter first time -we all know Walter's style.

Advocaat I have already mentioned.

Eck at least made an effort, with mixed results.

PLG - tried and failed to change everything.

Walter second time - see Walter first time.

Ally - tries to be Walter but isn't.

A fair assessment HP.

Historically , we've always played with a big center forward , and his partner that feeds off him. It seems so archaic now , and yet here we are ,still stuck in the 70's , and still playing it .

I agree that our best football was in Advocaat's first couple of seasons but I also rated Souness when he came. His first season with McCoist and Fleck up front was similar to Advocaats ' two small , fast forwards ' and keeping the ball on the deck. Certainly a lot more exciting style of football.

Brand? We play in Scottish football, fuck sake. Even under Advocaat we were dismissed as a big fish in a small pond.

Our brand - whatever that is - is built on what we represent to legions of fans, representatives of the the Sottish establishment and the Unionist/Loyalist cause.

Like or not, Rangers are regarded as dour and functional, Celtic are perceived as the long haired and hard done by rebels. I kind of like it that way.

IMO the journey back to the top league was always going to be something to endure rather than enjoy. It was never going to be the unique opportunity some have suggested.

Football has been dire most of time, suspect it would have been much the same whoever was our manager. My main gripe with Ally was last summer when he bought too many and paid too much for squad players when he should have been relying on young players as back up. This has added to the financial problems, when we should have been trying to live within our means.

Don't think now is time to change, next summer when we are back in top league will be the time to look for new manager (if football doesn't improve).

We always had a flair player of some kind that could light up a game, but we have been one dimensional and boring for most of the last three years. We produce turn off TV football.

Amongst the fans: possibly, but that should not affect us a great deal, after all most accepted Walter's defensive formations as long as there was success.

Success is the key word regarding fans loyalty, not so much style of football. If we lost a series of games playing all out attacking football, fans would be just as annoyed.

In the bigger world the brand is even more dependant on success these days, so style would not affect a business or outside interest much.

Not as bad as the last couple of years plus that was in the CL and top flight not in the part time leagues.

It's all relative though. It was still shite against teams we whould have been wiping the floor with. Guys like RdB huffing and puffing against shitey SPL players.

It's all relative though. It was still shite against teams we whould have been wiping the floor with. Guys like RdB huffing and puffing against shitey SPL players.

It is relative but we have been a real disappointment the last two seasons and our wage outlay for utter shite when we could have achieved the same aims (back to back promotions) with a much younger and significant home grown proportion of our squad and much cheaper is one of the biggest disappointments.

It is relative but we have been a real disappointment the last two seasons and our wage outlay for utter shite when we could have achieved the same aims (back to back promotions) with a much younger and significant home grown proportion of our squad and much cheaper is one of the biggest disappointments.

But I wouldn't say that has any serious affect on our brand. Outwuth Scotland all people tend to see is the result and table.

I don't like the whole idea of trying to "market" Rangers or make the "brand" more effective, I couldn't care less about attracting a Tourist support. However the dross we've played over the past few years is making it harder for the next generation to get excited over Rangers like we did growing up. Sure we've never always played "Silky" Football, but we mainly played successful Football in the Premier League and in Europe, often a workman like team with a few flair players to excite the crowd from time to time whilst nowadays we can hardly string too passed together against Part-Times without having to punt the ball in the air to a big target man

Nobody that supports Rangers was complaining about the style/brand when we done 9 in a row

Or when big Eck was making helicopters change direction

Or when Walter came back and won more titles and led us on our run in Europe

Frankly I couldn't give a fuck what anyone outside the Rangers support think of us. As the Dude said, outwith Scotland, people only see the results and the league table. As long as we continue the rise back to the top, the same perception will continue, that we are the most decorated club in Scotland and will continue to be.

Personally don't think we have a style of football, different managers have different styles, we have had glimpses of quality (not often granted) Templetons got something different, Airds got potential, Lewis has undoubted skill, sometimes our team goals have been good like Laws against Airdrie was well worked, we have had good crosses into the box with neat finishes. for me its the difference between a cross into the box by Aird to Daly and that of Laudrup to Hateley, night and day quality wise but both have the potential to finish the same but dont sound as good, we have been spoiled with undoubted quality, I think sometimes that fact prejudices our view of what is an exceptable quality, for where we are and where we once were.

The thing is, as the quality of opposition gets better, then I think our quality will rise like wise.

The football has nothing to do with reducing our brand IMHO Rangers will always be Rangers

Our style on the park is just putrid to watch, every year its gotten worse hell god only knows what next season is going to be like.

Anyways thats not the main factor, financial fuck ups, board members being threatend because certain fan groups don't like there faces, countless disruptions from these folk and former members has played a major factor in driving the share price down.

makes me sick to see this crap going down

My son is now eight and I have been taking him as much as possible since he was five but he asks not to go at times. He much prefers watching the English football when I ask why he doesn't want to go he says he gets bored, something I never did when my dad took me as a boy. The football was good and the stadium was loud with the songs we cant sing anymore.

The brand of football we have is complete rubbish the stadium hasnt much atmosphere but I still love going to ibrox to support the Rangers.

We are a horrendous football side, our style of play has been boring for years but think considering we went down the leagues and the teams we faced along the way it's been even worse.

Bored to tears almost every game watching Rangers, it's hardly ever entertainment as such.