Manticore - A tribute

MisterC

Thanks MisterC, fitting tribute.

As long as I can remember chatting about Rangers online he always seemed to have been there, making me laugh to myself or wondering what he was like in R/L, sadly I never got the chance to meet him though.

Only today reading the posts from people who knew him on a personal basis I realise he was exactly like I imagined him, Sterling stuff.

I`ll miss his wit and banter, but will remember him fondly.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great and well deserved tribute MisterC. Manticore was a great poster, witty, informed, nostalgic, great memories of the old days and a passion for Rangers which was from the heart, Occasionally argumentative but sincere, and posted many a good one line retort, and was always skillful with words......

Only a week ago or so I remember reading a post about when he was at the top of one of the Twin Towers in New York before they were destroyed. Have never been there myself but in two short, eloquent, almost poetic sentences he painted a picture you almost felt part of.

It's well strange being that high up, the only noise is the wind and any passing plane. The crazy non stop noise of Manhattan was too far below to hear.

That standard of input will be missed. RIP "Manti"

A great and well deserved tribute MisterC. Manticore was a great poster, witty, informed, nostalgic, great memories of the old days and a passion for Rangers which was from the heart, Occasionally argumentative but sincere, and posted many a good one line retort, and was always skillful with words......

Only a week ago or so ago I remember reading a post about when he was at the top of one of the Twin Towers in New York before they were destroyed. Have never been there myself but in two short, eloquent, almost poetic sentences he painted a picture you almost felt part of.

It's well strange being that high up, the only noise is the wind and any passing plane. The crazy non stop noise of Manhattan was too far below to hear.

That standard of input will be missed. RIP "Manti"

Good choice of example. I remember commenting on how he brought it all to life with that description. It captured the sense of separation at that height from the city far below, bustling away in distant silence.

To be honest, I don't think I ever had that much interaction with Derek but I certainly noticed his panache when it came to the debate!

More recently, and in many ways the atmosphere on the board today evokes similar memories, but at the passing of Sandy Jardine, Derek was at the forefront sharing many a tale of yesteryear which I, and I'm sure many other younger bears, would have enjoyed reading.

Despite our current troubles, I still look on the Rangers fanbase as a family and today we are one less...RIP Derek

He was one poster whom in a debate it was great to have him on your side of the debate and would drive you to insanity if he was on the opposite side, while never coming across as arrogant, great sense of humor and a gent from what i could tell. Thoughts with his friends and family, im sure hes in a better place still loyal as ever RIP.

Christ, I had no idea. That's awful. Easily one of the most interesting, intelligent posters we've ever had on here. I found his way of debating utterly infuriating for the first couple of years I was a member here, half the time because he was right and knew how to show it and the other half of the time because he was wrong but you knew you would get bored of trying to prove him wrong before he would. After a while I started to admire that same stubbornness. I didn't always agree with him but I came to see him as an ally in the debating board because he was one of the few regulars there who was willing to concede that a good argument was a good argument even if and especially when it contradicted his position, and that's admirable. I didn't know him outside of RM but from what I knew of him on here, he was a decent man, a good bear and a very fine poster.

Farewell, Derek. It'll be a poorer place without you.

A very nice tribute there. Well done.

I always meant to ask him if he was a big Emerson, Lake and Palmer fan.

RIP Manticore.

His username was a reference to the Robertson Davies novel of the same name, if I remember correctly.