Manticore - A tribute

MisterC

As the news sinks in of Manticore's passing, which has come as a shock, I just wanted to reflect a little and pay tribute to one of the greatest posters in this sites history. Not done something like this before so please bear with me.

Like most people on here, I got to know Derek through this website and was lucky enough to get to know him away from the site as well as we shared similar interests including Rangers and we both enjoyed debating issues from football, to music, to politics, to religion and other stuff as well. Derek was a formidable debater who used to madden me with his arguments and tying me up in knots over the arguments I presented. I know I was not the only one on here who that happened to! However, his intellect and ability to present an argument was second to none and although we occasionally disagreed on things, I always respected his point of view and how he made his argument, and it really was a pleasure to debate with him. The debating chamber will be a more boring place without him.

Away from here, Derek was great company and on several occasions I was in his company at various grounds including Ibrox, Gayfield, Stenhousemuirs ground and Tynecastle. Also on occasion we would meet up for drinks before games and it always a good laugh and a pleasure to be in his company. One thing I found was every time I met him, I would learn something new about something and there are not many people I can say the same about. He was a good educator in that regard. Indeed some of the stories he would tell of his many years following Rangers all Scotland and Europe were absolutely brilliant and would have me in stitches. He showed a lot of commitment to Rangers and went the extra mile to show his support for our great club he loved so much.

Last year, I got word that he had taken seriously ill and had been taken to hospital in Dumfries and I was shocked to find out it was leukemia he had. He spent a good number of weeks in isolation at the hospital and during that time I traveled down to see him. Although very fragile he was still great company and in good spirits and lesser men would not have endured all those weeks in hospital. He had his reading material and music which I imagine helped keep him from going mad in there, I know I would have struggled to cope. When he came out I met up with him and he was looking much better and I thought that would be it clear.

I was not aware he had become ill again and the news of his passing came as a huge shock when I heard last night. It was only a few days ago we were debating on here and it never dawned on me that it would be our last communication. All of leaves a whole load of 'what ifs', however I am sure he would not want any time wasted on thinking along those lines.

Derek as well as being a great Rangers fan, was a great person and a total gent. The tributes paid to him on here go to show how well respected he was even if you didnt always agree with him. It has been a pleasure knowing him and I will miss him a lot, as will many people on here and of course those he was close to in real life away from internet-land. He enriched many people lives with his presence and will be sorely missed.

RIP Derek, a great Bear, but more importantly, a great human being who may be gone but will never be forgotten.

Thanks for the memories.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great tribute Colin.

Manticore was great entertainment on here, his debating was that good even if he was wrong he made you doubt your watertight argument.

Manti did recall great tales of Rangers games of yesteryear with his other old fart pals on here :P

I don't think I'd been here long when numansnewman passed away but I think RM will really suffer without Manticore. From day one since I've been here he's been an ever present and he was great at spotting tims on here.

I can't say that me and manticore always agreed but then I think we've all disagreed on here at times. But he will be sorely missed on RM.

Goodbye Manti, I know you loved a debate on god and the afterlife on here and if you've ended up, up there you'll need to apologise to the big man :lol:

Rip

Thanks D'Art.

Funny when I read that it reminded me of a thread on here years ago which bears testimony to how superbly accurate your tribute is.

It had started off with one of my Loyalist articles and gone off on a tangent somewhat into religion. M and I were debating the various aspects of of evolution - him for/ me against and it had gone on for several pages. Someone else jumped in and started arguing with me about Rangers Protestant identity and M duly rounded on them and comprehensively defended it after several pages of arguing for atheism ! :lol:

Im really going to miss him.

Funny when I read that it reminded me of a thread on here years ago which bears testimony to how superbly accurate your tribute is.

It had started off with one of my Loyalist articles and gone off on a tangent somewhat into religion. M and I were debating the various aspects of of evolution - him for/ me against and it had gone on for several pages. Someone else jumped in and started arguing with me about Rangers Protestant identity and M duly rounded on them and comprehensively defended it after several pages of arguing for atheism ! :lol:

Im really going to miss him.

That was it exactly, he just had that ability to hold differing views at the same time and swat aside those with rubbish arguments, that story is classic Manticore! :lol:

well put Mister C.

A sad loss to the Rangers family. I never met him but, as you say, a great and well reasoned debater and a fantastic member on this forum.

Very sad news indeed

I don't post very often but I read lots of threads. Manticore - never met him to my knowledge but I can tell you - he was from my era and he certainly displayed a wealth of knowledge about Rangers and he shared a liking for many of my heroes.

Many of you who knew him have expressed better than I can how thoughtful and reasoned he was when posting and have said how even if you were at odds with his point of view you respected his logic in promoting his views.

Although I didn't know him I'll miss his posts and share the sadness that he won't be around this site.

Absent Friends!

I'm generally only a lurker and occasional poster and I'm genuinely shocked to read just now of his passing. Manticore was one of a few posters who've stood out so this really was sad news .

Deepest sympathy to his family & friends and clearly to a lesser degree to all of us who 'knew' him on here.

A loss to all that knew him to whatever degree RIP.

with the same as numansnewman passing, the forum has lost someone who was a big part of it

when numan passed someone created a sig to remember him by, a lot of us wore it on here as a mark of respect, hopefully someone can do the same for manticore

there has probably been others as well down the years that might not have been known as much on the forum if at all, but all are missed from the rangers family,

When you hear such shocking news it puts all the disharmony and infighting between fellow bears into perspective. Why are we doing this to each other? I only know Manticore because he has been one of the most notable posters on RM since I joined some 6 or 7 years ago, but it's fair to say he made his mark.

Enjoyed your tribute Mr C, god bless Mant.