Zaliukas signs two year deal. (official)

Drenth

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a level above anything else we have at the club. He's proven he can do it at SPL level. I'm baffled there's anyone against this move.

Deal him in (tu)

Better than anything we have, and will do a job. Why not? Already abandoned any chance of being inspired by Ally's management choices.

Why did we take a trialist up and not start him?

Fitness guys / physios probably have final say on who's ready to start games.

Does seem odd to give him so little game time, but looked comfortable (much better than Jig) in the short time he had.

Think it's as he's not so much your regular trialist in the sense that it seems pretty concrete that he'll be offered a deal. Think Ally had made up his mind and unless he had an absolute mare, there wasn't much chance of him not being offered something. Seems like very decent option to me considering where we are at the moment.

Enough times to form that opinion.

You weren't expecting me to keep count or anything, were you ?

Well I'll be honest and say I don't remember much about him, and other than when Hearts played us, the bheggers and Hibs I wouldn't have seen much of him.

I saw him today, he played against basically a junior team and he strolled it, so I'd like to see more of him against better opposition, but if he keeps strolling it, I'll be happy enough with that. I'm used to our managers short thinking now.

Zaliukas was solid. Looked comfortable every time he got the ball at his feet against Brora, really should of started the game, those long passes he hits along the ground to the midfield/strikers are a breath of fresh air as well, he doesn't hit the long ball and it's great to see. He also teams up with Lee Wallace extremely well from their time at Hearts together.

If he signs, then it'll be great for us. Him & Darren McGregor are a certainty to be our starting CB's for the season ahead. Not too sure what will happen with Mohsni and McCulloch (my thread No Room for Jig kinda goes into more about McCulloch) but Mohsni is a bit of a bombscare, we need cool heads at the back..

Sign Zali up.

McDowall added: “He’s a good player with a great attitude. He came up and put himself into training and he has done all the fitness work with us.

“It was good to get him a bit of the game against Brora. That was always our plan and he did well.”

Copyright 2014. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to www.rangers.co.uk

If we do sign him, where does that leave our young cbs? Do we loan them out? I would have liked to see luca get a good run this season, can't see why we need macgregor, moshni, jig and zali when we have two competent players who can play back up

I talked to a couple of Leeds United bloggers to get a sense of why they agreed to part ways with Zaliukas. They gave a pretty honest & candid assessment of the big man's time with the club.

http://therangersreport.com/2014/07/07/what-went-wrong-for-marius-zaliukas-at-leeds-united/

I talked to a couple of Leeds United bloggers to get a sense of why they agreed to part ways with Zaliukas. They gave a pretty honest & candid assessment of the big man's time with the club.

http://therangersrep...t-leeds-united/

Thanks for that, RR. Going by that article Zal should be a great player for us; he was in the wrong team at the wrong time. I'm sure (and hope) he'll thrive at Rangers and become one of our favourites.