Unlikely Fans Hated Players

Rangers Lady

I was playing golf with a very good friend of Browns a week ago, by chance.

I asked the question about him being a boyhood Gers fan and was told he never was.

Was a Hibs fan, but would always prefer the Tims over us.

So that myth should thankfully be put to bed I think.

Kevin Thomson, his very best mate, confirmed he was a Rangers fan in an Interview when he left us.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He complained about the contract he was offered, ie he wanted 2 years on 5k, we offered him 1 year at 10k, which is the same thing. He also was thinking about taking us to court, for bonuses that was not getting paid ( it was all paper talk so it could be all fake but he never came out after and disclaim it)

Shouldn't be in this list. If the guy was due money, then he should get it.

If indeed it was being withheld, then he was entitled to use any means to get it.

Just because you like your employer , doesn't mean your family's welfare should be put at risk.

Conn said he signed for the tarriers because he wanted to play under big Ba'Face. Quite an insult to Willie Waddell and Jock Wallace who gave him his chance at Ibrox and made him the player he was.

Conn signed for the tims because they would sign him without him having to take a medical. His knees were knackered at Spurs and the then manager of them wanted him out because he was an "Orange B*stard" - terrible stuff. At the time he needed the money (it was before players made such a good wage as nowadays) so signed for them.

He never took another medical in his career and after them he was only offered pay as you play deals.

Source: Alfie Conn via my dad - We have his Cup Winner's Cup Final Jersey too.

GM

He complained about the contract he was offered, ie he wanted 2 years on 5k, we offered him 1 year at 10k, which is the same thing. He also was thinking about taking us to court, for bonuses that was not getting paid ( it was all paper talk so it could be all fake but he never came out after and disclaim it)

He also sat on the bench for years, stepping up and performing when required, including that UEFA cup performance in Florence.

Don't get the Dailly posts, quite liked him :lol:

Never had a great deal of time for Richard Gough.

Heard him in a radio interview around 1997 talking about leaving us and going to play in the States. Was going on big style about how him and his family needing a change and the chance to wind down a bit after him playing over 10 years at the top level at Ibrox without a break. All five of us in the car listening to this were taken aback at how removed he was from reality of the normal working man. He made it sound as if he had been working 12 hours a day down a pit for the last 10 years rather than going in at 10 o'clock each morning for a couple hours training and kicking a ball about. And getting paid more than the five of us in the car put together.

He also sat on the bench for years, stepping up and performing when required, including that UEFA cup performance in Florence.

Don't get the Dailly posts, quite liked him :lol:

Simonsen has been on the bench for 2 years, should we like him? Just because of 1 game in florence, Alexander is a genius? Nah man I was never a fan of Big Neil just like I was never a fan of Davis after his loan move to us.

Didn't know Dalglish was one of us having said that his managerial record there should have gave it away :sherlock:

No idea who Bertie Peacock is/was in only a young un but good to learn some more information from our clubs past

Dalglish grew up being a Bear and he admitted that when Sean Fallon came to his house to sign him on the orders of Jock Stein, he ran upstairs and ripped all his Rangers posters off his bedroom wall.

Bertie Peacock was one that sadly got away from us as he was a brilliant left sided player who tackled like a Tiger and left nothing on the pitch. Definitely one of the best to come out of Northern Ireland.

Dalglish grew up being a Bear and he admitted that when Sean Fallon came to his house to sign him on the orders of Jock Stein, he ran upstairs and ripped all his Rangers posters off his bedroom wall.

Bertie Peacock was one that sadly got away from us as he was a brilliant left sided player who tackled like a Tiger and left nothing on the pitch. Definitely one of the best to come out of Northern Ireland.

Would have kept all my Rangers stuff up on the wall no matter what.

shame we never got him to play for us then would have been a good player to have around by the sounds of it.

One of the best to come out of NI is like being a prison beauty queen its an award but fuck having that around your neck no offence to NI Bears

Would have kept all my Rangers stuff up on the wall no matter what.

shame we never got him to play for us then would have been a good player to have around by the sounds of it.

One of the best to come out of NI is like being a prison beauty queen its an award but fuck having that around your neck no offence to NI Bears

Believe it or not, Northern Ireland had an excellent team in the 50's and qualifed for the World Cup in Sweden, knocking out Italy in the process. They then came runners up to West Germany in the round of 16 knocking out a very strong Czechoslovakia and Argentina before being eliminated by a quality France side (who finished 3rd)

Bertie Peacock was a key player for them in that era.

Believe it or not, Northern Ireland had an excellent team in the 50's and qualifed for the World Cup in Sweden, knocking out Italy in the process. They then came runners up to West Germany in the round of 16 knocking out a very strong Czechoslovakia and Argentina before being eliminated by a quality France side (who finished 3rd)

Bertie Peacock was a key player for them in that era.

Wow that is actually a shock shame they declined so much then

Wow that is actually a shock shame they declined so much then

It was always going to be hard for N.I to rebuild such a great team. It shows you how strong they were when Billy Simpson who scored 163 goals for us in 239 games and is in the Ibrox HoF couldn't even get a place in that side.

Conn signed for the tims because they would sign him without him having to take a medical. His knees were knackered at Spurs and the then manager of them wanted him out because he was an "Orange B*stard" - terrible stuff. At the time he needed the money (it was before players made such a good wage as nowadays) so signed for them.

He never took another medical in his career and after them he was only offered pay as you play deals.

Source: Alfie Conn via my dad - We have his Cup Winner's Cup Final Jersey too.

GM

This is accurate. I was sick when he signed for them but now understand why he had little choice at the time.

It was always going to be hard for N.I to rebuild such a great team. It shows you how strong they were when Billy Simpson who scored 163 goals for us in 239 games and is in the Ibrox HoF couldn't even get a place in that side.

That is an incredible stat for a player even back then