An honest question

RFC55

Does the loyalist part of supporting Rangers appeal to you?  

492 members have voted

1. 1. Does the loyalist part of supporting Rangers appeal to you?

• Yes
    • No

I love my football team and as catchy as it may be, the loyalist part has no bearing on me.

Defining 'Loyalist' though, I regard myself as Britsh first, Scottish second... and i support our Union Flag and monarch. Nothing bigoted about that (yet) :)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally cant separate my love for Rangers and all things Loyalist and Unionist,that's just me others have the right to support the club in whatever way they so wish but it would be nice if they could do it without rubbishing the traditions that helped make our club what it is.

Been part of supporting Rangers for decades why change. Always disliked the FTP stuff especially when we had guys like Albertz, Amo, Porrini, Vidmar etc around the club. It became embarrassing especially on trips overseas. Glad that part has been dropped.

Still happy to belt out the Sash, Derrys Walls etc. even at a slightly more advanced age :D

Why should I change now??

Agree with all of your post

Being Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist, British and a Rangers fan is all part of the same package for me, all an integral part of my identity.

I dont have a problem with people not embracing these values that are associated with the club, you dont need to be Protestant/Unionist/Loyalist to be a Rangers fan, but no real Rangers fans should try and deny or do away with these values, they are part of the club and part of our history. You dont need to sing the sash or wave a UJ to be a Ranger but if you want to rid the club of our flags, songs, traditions and culture then you dont understand what Rangers are all about imo. Nothing wrong with not holding those values but I do have a problem with the new age handwringers who pander to the tims by trying to remove these things from the club and support.

This.

I have no problem with people supporting us who don't embrace these values. I do have a problem with people who support us and don't respect that the majority do.

I'm 100% pro British, I have no interest in any Irish terrorist crap on either side and while I'm a religious Protestant, I think being nationalistic (not Scottish but British) is more important than being religiously biased.

I don't care about rubbish like FTP chants or anti IRA chants as those are irrelevances to a British club with a massively Protestant following. We're above even having to worry about those things as we are the majority in the UK and we don't have to be concerned about the views of a troublesome minority as we should recognise our own level of control. I love hearing God Save The Queen ringing around Ibrox but we don't have to be concerned about a dead terrorist organisation or a leader of a religious group that we cast aside nearly 500 years ago. We don't care about either as we have already progressed beyond defeating both and even chanting at them just makes them feel relevant when they are about as important as the bugs crawling around in the muck.

Well, that in it's self is a little tricky as it's a degraded mindset lacking intelligence more than any one thing that sticks out but I'll give it a shot.

Add-ons like 'Fuck the Pope' should be out and a version of said songs agreed upon via a poll. Nothing worse than listening to the Billy Boys only for it to fizzle out at the point the Police ears prick up.

Reference to terrorist organisations dropped entirely, one mans defender or freedom fighter is a murderer in anothers, we wouldn't be keen on ISIS chants/songs at the Arabs. Now this would obviously remove a good few of my favourite tunes but perhaps the tunes could be kept with a different message? I don't know specifically, but few here would want their boss or their family to see them on the news in a video singing Number 1 Platoon. By all means tell a story about Northern Ireland in a song but perhaps one which doesn't involve chinning the tims or promoting groups associated with murders etc.

Stop banding the by-words for Catholic to anything we disagree with.

Promote our club within our songs, Promote our legends within our songs, Promote our history - just drop the tasteless digs at individuals/groups outwith what's ours.

Are we a Proddy Scottish/British club today or are we a Multi-faith/non-faith, Multinational, Global club? We arguably claim to be one when in reality we're probably the other.

If we are to have a dig at others, keep it legal, tasteful, factual, (clever enough it can't be thrown back at us basically, perhaps this would be in the form of statements released by groups rather than dumb shouts at a tv camera.

Promote what's true about our club and it's fanbases history while recognising that some aspects of this are regrettable if however perfectly in keeping with the times.

I could go on like above mate but essentially it's just little things which these days they just don't sit well with law nor in the public eye. Bare in mind while we may detest a minority within this country who predominately happen to be Irish-republican-sympathising-Catholics, Catholics make up over 1/7th of the worlds population and not all of them are in the same vein as the breed we have, such things don't translate well however.

Most Rangers supporters I know are Atheist yet throughout my life I've hear Prody this and Catholic that, most Jungles I've met are atheists as well so at what point in this incredibly PC world do we recognise that we're predominantly all atheists of different backgrounds?!. I've been In Ibrox and sang 'I'd rather be a Packi than a Tim' alongside some of the Asian/Arab members of our support and while they seemed cool with it I think we can all accept that the message is one which wouldn't be viewed well by all Rangers supporters of the Asian/Arab variety.

Is it really beyond us as a 1st world, educated country to have a song book, terminology, phrasing and actions which are civilized and don't fall foul of the PC/laws/official groups/press?

I've met loads of people who claim to be a St Mirren supporter to avoid saying Rangers or Celtic due to the consequences that can have, I've met equally as many who have fallen away from supporting their boyhood Rangers because they couldn't be arsed with the whole sectarian/Northern-Ire-troubles aspect of it. If we are to avoid going backwards as a club in a global world/market-place perhaps upping our game is something there should be a genuine push towards other than merely removing things, banning things, paying lip service to things etc. etc. Replace what doesn't fit and make a concerted effort to promote the best of what we have.

Good post mate!

Aye.

I love the fact that you can be from here and feel as connected and as close to the club as people from Glasgow/Scotland.

A lot of fans of English clubs don't even want people from outside the town or city that the club is based in supporting their club, never mind out of the country.

I wouldn't say im a die hard loyalist by any means but I love the connection it has given me to my club. If it weren't for the loyalist/unionist connection the club has we would have nowhere near as many fans as we do and im not sure id have been brought up to support us if we didn't.

No 1 Platoon, Crossmaglen, Derrys Walls, The Sash, Wee Spot In Europe, UDR4, Follow Follow, Green Grassy Slopes and the rest - All historically significant, all non- sectarian. Anyone who thinks we should be wary of singing these songs is simply pandering to the tims who are offended by everything associated with Rangers.

I suppose it depends on how you perceive the meaning of Loyalist.

If you mean Protestant, supporting the Union,acknowledging our history and being against Irish Republicanism then I suppose I should have voted yes rather than no.

If you mean we should go back to when half our songs were were in the FTP category ( which is what I first thought) then I will stick with no.

And labeling people papes because they are not interested in some of that stuff is a joke.