Mark Warburton Open To Rangers Job Discussions

WATBB

What about Steve McLaren? Looks like he's a cert to be leaving Derby albeit with Newcastle sniffing around.

Done a fantastic job with Derby last season and looked stick-ons for promotion this season before it went tits up in the last few months.

Certainly has the CV with titles in Holland & England and to reach a UEFA Cup final with that Boro side is some achievement.

Would be a cracking appointment IMO.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Steve McLaren? Looks like he's a cert to be leaving Derby albeit with Newcastle sniffing around.

Done a fantastic job with Derby last season and looked stick-ons for promotion this season before it went tits up in the last few months.

Certainly has the CV with titles in Holland & England and to reach a UEFA Cup final with that Boro side is some achievement.

Only if he speaks in his Dutch Accent then we can shut our eyes and pretend he's Advocaat.

McLarens on big money.

The issue with McLaren isn't selling us on his CV :lol:

I understand the questions regarding Warburton, but I'd still take the gamble with him. At this stage we aren't going to get a Manager who has every quality we want. Through a broad look at our fanbase, you'd say the qualities we'd look for in a new manager are; playing style, youths being brought through and experience.

Sadly there's no chance we're going to find someone who has a tick for all of those categories. Yes Warburton comes with risks, but so will every Manager we're going to look at. Unless we go for the safe bet of Walter Smith or Craig Brown, which would culminate in no real progress.

If we're serious about a total change of footballing philosophy at the Club then we're going to need to take a gamble. This isn't something that we'll be able to do whilst winning every game, it's going to come with it's flaws. We'll lose matches and we'll lose them due to silly mistakes, but if we really want to do something about the turgid football we see week in week out it's something we'll need to put up with.

If we go up, and it's still a big if, this is the perfect time to change it. This is the start of a new chapter like it was 3 years ago, we already blew our chance then, I'd rather not have the same regrets as I do now.

If it goes tits up, it goes tits up. But at least we can't look back and say I wish we did..

Good shout, we did well with a Dutch manager before.

I understand the questions regarding Warburton, but I'd still take the gamble with him. At this stage we aren't going to get a Manager who has every quality we want. Through a broad look at our fanbase, you'd say the qualities we'd look for in a new manager are; playing style, youths being brought through and experience.

Sadly there's no chance we're going to find someone who has a tick for all of those categories. Yes Warburton comes with risks, but so will every Manager we're going to look at. Unless we go for the safe bet of Walter Smith or Craig Brown, which would culminate in no real progress.

If we're serious about a total change of footballing philosophy at the Club then we're going to need to take a gamble. This isn't something that we'll be able to do whilst winning every game, it's going to come with it's flaws. We'll lose matches and we'll lose them due to silly mistakes, but if we really want to do something about the turgid football we see week in week out it's something we'll need to put up with.

If we go up, and it's still a big if, this is the perfect time to change it. This is the start of a new chapter like it was 3 years ago, we already blew our chance then, I'd rather not have the same regrets as I do now.

If it goes tits up, it goes tits up. But at least we can't look back and say I wish we did..

Well said.

Well said.

I'd be a hypocrite if I was negative toward this movement. I've continually been against the current style of play so to turn done this opportunity would be crazy in my opinion. Like I said he's a gamble but he certainly seems worthwhile.

His contract situation and links with Davie Weir adds to that.

I'd be a hypocrite if I was negative toward this movement. I've continually been against the current style of play so to turn done this opportunity would be crazy in my opinion. Like I said he's a gamble but he certainly seems worthwhile.

His contract situation and links with Davie Weir adds to that.

McCall's no the answer anyway IMO.

As you rightly say we're not going to get a proven hero coming in to take the reigns so it does need a bit of a gamble.

Taking the easy way out, like Walter Smith or Alex McLeish will again set us back years.

We need a strong board though, even bring it into the contract.

The manager gets a bonus for any players brought through the youth system who move on for a fee above X amount.

No shite football accepted apart from in Europe or games against FC Pampers.

Fucking sick of seeing journeymen brought in at the expense of youth and then repeating the cycle when the journeymen fuck off.

Money all out the door and fuckall back in.

As you said though, we need patience, some of our support don't have it but will need to STFU while foundations are laid for a successful Rangers years down the line.

McCall's no the answer anyway IMO.

As you rightly say we're not going to get a proven hero coming in to take the reigns so it does need a bit of a gamble.

Taking the easy way out, like Walter Smith or Alex McLeish will again set us back years.

We need a strong board though, even bring it into the contract.

The manager gets a bonus for any players brought through the youth system who move on for a fee above X amount.

No shite football accepted apart from in Europe or games against FC Pampers.

Fucking sick of seeing journeymen brought in at the expense of youth and then repeating the cycle when the journeymen fuck off.

Money all out the door and fuckall back in.

As you said though, we need patience, some of our support don't have it but will need to STFU while foundations are laid for a successful Rangers years down the line.

Exactly, mate.

A lot of our support just want to hear/see answers straight away. But changing the style of football our side plays isn't going to happen over night. I don't see a point in bringing a Manager in to see us consolidate 3rd, 4th or 5th. We're better off changing the biggest hinderance to us at the start of our first Season.

Warburton might be a risk but he's one I'm willing to take. It's a perfect opportunity with him being out of contract and having a Number 2 who is a Rangers legend.

Same Club that papped Sean Dyche after a year, similar to Leeds. I've not checked but they must have nearly had as many Managers in the last decade than we have ever had in 140+ years.

That's piss poor

Caught him on SSN just there.

Obviously gave nothing concrete away regarding his future, but answered a few questions. Said it didn't matter what League he was Managing in as it comes down to the Club and opportunity. He wants to know what his targets would be over the short, medium and long term. Also, that he wanted to add to whichever Club he joins and build a philosophy. Confirmed he had been approached by a 'couple of Clubs' formally, but they were at very early stages.

Reports he's turned down the Sheffield United job also.

Spoke very well as always.

Jokanovic seemed to be very popular with the fans and didn't seem to do an awful lot wrong.

I think you're onto something with Warburton going to Watford.

Watford are in talks with Quique Sanchez Flores and Derby with Paul Clement. West Ham want Bilic and Newcastle seem like they will keep Carver and in any case McClaren is now available. QPR have kept Ramsay. There isn't really a job for Warburton down south just now.

Warburton would be a good appointment. I can see why our 'project' would be attractive to him, too. It'd be a great chance to develop a club (which seems important to him) and to win trophies (which would obviously boost his CV if he wanted a PL club down South).

Caught him on SSN just there.

Obviously gave nothing concrete away regarding his future, but answered a few questions. Said it didn't matter what League he was Managing in as it comes down to the Club and opportunity. He wants to know what his targets would be over the short, medium and long term. Also, that he wanted to add to whichever Club he joins and build a philosophy. Confirmed he had been approached by a 'couple of Clubs' formally, but they were at very early stages.

Reports he's turned down the Sheffield United job also.

Spoke very well as always.

The fact he said it doesn't matter what league tells me that we may have been one of the clubs to approach him.