Mark Warburton Open To Rangers Job Discussions

WATBB

If he gets the job I'll back him 100%.

Forgive my scepticism but I am extremely wary of managers tipped as being qualified on flimsy evidence. He may be the real deal but I make no apologies for wanting proven experience right now. Not long ago, many on here wanted a novice assistant manager of Valencia. Now a manager with 18 months experience Is the new flavour of the month. This is a big job and is very pressurised. I'm not sure Warburton is the man.

Is all I'm saying.

But if he does get the job, I'll back him 100%.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he gets the job I'll back him 100%.

Forgive my scepticism but I am extremely wary of managers tipped as being qualified on flimsy evidence. He may be the real deal but I make no apologies for wanting proven experience right now. Not long ago, many on here wanted a novice assistant manager of Valencia. Now a manager with 18 months experience Is the new flavour of the month. This is a big job and is very pressurised. I'm not sure Warburton is the man.

Is all I'm saying.

But if he does get the job, I'll back him 100%.

You've just had facts presented to you that he has more than 18 months worth of experience, yet you skipped over it, and still insisted 18 months...

You've just had facts presented to you that he has more than 18 months worth of experience, yet you skipped over it, and still insisted 18 months...

I have skipped over nothing. he has been manager of Brentford for 18 months. The other jobs are meaningful but it is not the same as being the main man.

Look, I have nothing against the lad. You all make very good points in his favour but sometimes you get a hunch about someone. I've watched football, and worked in football, for over 40 years and I admit sometimes it's just an instinctive thing but I just worry about appointing someone with so little experience of being the man in charge.

For the record, I watched Brentford several times last season, was impressed and wanted them to go up in the play offs.

If he gets the job then I'll not complain but if it is a discussion on here before his appointment then I have to admit to having major reservations.

They ( Weir & Warburton ) were at Hampden tonight with Murray. Interesting.

Not a nice feeling if you are McCall.

Weir was there for sure. Where did you hear that Warburton was there?

I have skipped over nothing. he has been manager of Brentford for 18 months. The other jobs are meaningful but it is not the same as being the main man.

Look, I have nothing against the lad. You all make very good points in his favour but sometimes you get a hunch about someone. I've watched football, and worked in football, for over 40 years and I admit sometimes it's just an instinctive thing but I just worry about appointing someone with so little experience of being the man in charge.

For the record, I watched Brentford several times last season, was impressed and wanted them to go up in the play offs.

If he gets the job then I'll not complain but if it is a discussion on here before his appointment then I have to admit to having major reservations.

Agree with this.

Any time I've seen Brentford on Sky I've been pretty impressed (apart from last Friday, Boro dealt with them with ease) and Warburton would certainly be an interesting appointment and one which excites me on paper, but at the same time you can't discount how many managers have simply had really good purple patches and then quickly fade away into becoming journeymen lower legaue managers.

If he gets appointed, then he will have my full support but I think we need to take our time and fully weigh up the pros and cons of every candidate we speak to.

I don't care what Warburton did before his current 18 month stint as a manager, he's a rookie and barely above Cathro in terms of experience. We need proven experience for the Rangers hot seat.

If McCall gets us up in the Premiership, he has proven he's good enough. I just hope he doesn't read these destabilising headlines.

I don't care what Warburton did before his current 18 month stint as a manager, he's a rookie and barely above Cathro in terms of experience. We need proven experience for the Rangers hot seat.

If McCall gets us up in the Premiership, he has proven he's good enough. I just hope he doesn't read these destabilising headlines.

Got to agree, he's had less than 100 games in management.

I think McCall has done well and it would be harsh if he got promotion then didn't get the job, but I personally don't think McCall is the right person to start a revolution at the club. We need an appointment reminiscent of souness. Who that would be? I honestly don't know.

Got to agree, he's had less than 100 games in management.

I think McCall has done well and it would be harsh if he got promotion then didn't get the job, but I personally don't think McCall is the right person to start a revolution at the club. We need an appointment reminiscent of souness. Who that would be? I honestly don't know.

That'll be Souness that had no managerial experience...

That'll be Souness that had no managerial experience...

I had meant the impact of souness not specifically someone who will be a player manager, have had no past experience.

I'm just saying that at the moment no names being mentioned either fill me with confidence or excite me.

Taking a punt on inexperience can be rewarding i.e. Souness or it can be damaging i.e. Mccoist, that's the gamble and I don't think we can afford a gamble however I don't think McCall is the man to start a revolution the way souness did.

We had big money to spend then we dont have now.

But Dave said he's putting in more than £20m!

Yeah, that"s a good point. Brentford have been backed financially by their new owner too which could explain their lofty position. However, as we have seen, having the right manager in charge can work wonders.

I agree in part with those questioning his lack of experience, his appointment would be a risk.

However, if we don't appoint him, who do we appoint? McInnes? McCall? Butcher?

Every name linked with the post is either an average at best manager, or an unproven risk. I don't see many Champions League winning managers queuing up to take charge.

What would people think of McCall being kept on as maybe first team coach alongside Weir, with Warburton as manager?

Anybody reckon that's something we could look, or more importantly something McCall would take.

Agree with this.

Any time I've seen Brentford on Sky I've been pretty impressed (apart from last Friday, Boro dealt with them with ease) and Warburton would certainly be an interesting appointment and one which excites me on paper, but at the same time you can't discount how many managers have simply had really good purple patches and then quickly fade away into becoming journeymen lower legaue managers.

If he gets appointed, then he will have my full support but I think we need to take our time and fully weigh up the pros and cons of every candidate we speak to.

Spot on.

We tend to get a bit carried away when new/young managers go through a good/excellent spell but it could easily be a case of right man at the right time for Brentford,

If we could get a more experienced Mark Warburton, if you like, in charge then that would be ideal. Although if McCall gets us up he should get the job and given a chance imo.

Warburton has more experience than Ally McCoist did when he got the job.

Yet, none of us seemed to question Ally's initial appointment, all too trapped up in the "Oh he's a legend, he'll be like Walter, blah blah blah".

I agree in part with those questioning his lack of experience, his appointment would be a risk.

However, if we don't appoint him, who do we appoint? McInnes? McCall? Butcher?

Every name linked with the post is either an average at best manager, or an unproven risk. I don't see many Champions League winning managers queuing up to take charge.

My current thinking aswell.

If we aren't going to take a risk on an up and coming manager, who's philosophy alot of us have been crying out for, then with the names who are likely to linked with us, for me I'd rather stick with McCall.

Spot on.

We tend to get a bit carried away when new/young managers go through a good/excellent spell but it could easily be a case of right man at the right time for Brentford,

If we could get a more experienced Mark Warburton, if you like, in charge then that would be ideal. Although if McCall gets us up he should get the job and given a chance imo.

I think with where we are just now and the market we are dealing in every manager is going to have pros and cons. We simply won't find a 'perfect' candidate.

Realistically we will probably appoint a manager who has a rubbish tenure somewhere on their CV and that's because the line between success and failure can be so small when you aren't managing an elite level team and the playing field is more equal in terms of resources. We just have to make sure they've learned from it and have become better managers as a result.

That's why I think the board doing their due diligence, speaking to candidates properly and in detail and really taking their time to appoint the right man is so important.

If McCall takes us up he will be getting it regardless IMO.

Not necessarily, based on what I've heard; He's not favourite for it, regardless of whether we get promoted.

If McCall takes us up then he'll deserve a chance in the SPFL. However I agree with King where he says it's a 3/4 year plan we need in place, McCall might not fit with the plans the club have going forward. I expect to see more of a coach than a manager and is also expect a DoF to be put in place.

Warburton has more experience than Ally McCoist did when he got the job.

Yet, none of us seemed to question Ally's initial appointment, all too trapped up in the "Oh he's a legend, he'll be like Walter, blah blah blah".

Plenty questioned Ally's initial appointment.