Mark Warburton, Next Manager Odds

UnionMen

Mark Warburton: The ball is in Rangers court now.. they just need to GIVE ME A CALL if they want me to be their new boss and get them back to the Premiership

03 JUNE 2015 06:00 AM BY GARY RALSTON

FORMER Brentford gaffer admits he's held 'informal talks' with Gers representatives as the manager race hots up at Ibrox.

15 Shares

CS77568453.jpgAction Images

Mark Warburton with Brentford

MARK WARBURTON revealed he is waiting for the call to ask him to become the new boss of Rangers.

However, the Light Blues have decided against a move for Olympiakos boss Vitor Pereira after talks with the former Porto chief.

Warburton confirmed he has held discussions with Rangers officials in the last few days, believed to be directors Paul Murray and John Gilligan, as they bid to get their project back on track for the Premiership.

The former Brentford boss, released at the end of the season despite taking the Bees to the brink of the Premier League, is holding off for now on a family holiday to Florida.

However, he is not certain to be offered the job as Rangers mull over a string of candidates. They include Valencia number two Ian Cathro and Stuart McCall, with other potential managers still likely to emerge from left field, like Pereira.Warburton told Record Sport: I can confirm I had informal talks with representatives of Rangers just a few days ago. The ball is very much with Rangers.

It struck me the club can now look to enjoy a period of some stability and there are clearly very positive and well intentioned people now behind Rangers.

The impression I get is that after a period of some turmoil they are looking to return Rangers to an even keel.

The first meeting with any prospective employer is always about chemistry. Do you get on? Do your philosophies align? If youre happy, you progress on from there and the people I spoke with from Rangers were very nice indeed.Daily Record Football Show 01.06.15

Its very flattering when people speak about the great job Ive done at Brentford and tell me my phone must be ringing off the hook.

In reality, its not like that because there are a lot of good people associated with football who are in work and out of it.

Ive had two or three informal chats with clubs recently, but this is all new to me as Ive never had a day out of work since I was 16.

Usually Id be in Florida at this time of year but Im not sure whats the right thing to do at this stage, although I guess well see what happens in the next few daysI have to be very respectful because Im sure a club like Rangers has a very big search process underway, but time is of paramount importance to every club at this stage of the year.

Rangers sounded out former Everton target Pereira, 46, earlier this month after being drawn to his work with Porto and Olympiakos, whom he has just led to the Greek league and cup double.

Pereira was assistant to Andre Villas-Boas at Porto before taking over when the head coach moved to Chelsea three years ago. He won the Portuguese title twice before moving to Saudia Arabia then Greece.

However, Rangers decided the appointment of Pereira was just too high risk as they attempt to clinch the championship next season and win back their place in the top flight of the Scottish game.

Like the names linked in that article Pererira, Cathro and European coaches seem to be the way we are going. Glad as I'd like a break from the Rangers men tbh!

Think he is a certainty to get it now. Can see him being appointed within the next week.

I know I'm the only one saying it and I'm Prepared to get slaughtered but from what I've been told , by a good source , I think at the moment it's still unlikely at best and talk of imminent appointment is absolutely miles away .

Seeing Cathro's name more and more is exciting!

All these people who kept saying 'take applications, interview, then choose the right man for the job!', yet when we are doing just that, people getting annoyed that is wasn't done and announced on Monday. lol

Why rush it and have a chance of getting it wrong? That would set us back further than taking an extra week to decide IMO

The rush is down to the better players are now being snapped up and our rivals are marching a few strides in front of us.

Until we get a new manager in we aint going to make any moves and the longer that takes the harder it will be to get out this shitehole of a league.

Why rush it and have a chance of getting it wrong? That would set us back further than taking an extra week to decide IMO

That's a fair point and I agree that it's absolutely essential we get it right. However I believe at this stage we should know who our number one option is and as such we may need to move quickly. All due diligence and research on candidates IMO should be practically completed. Some of the names linked won't be available for much longer IMO.

Regardless I just hope we get it right.

That's a fair point and I agree that it's absolutely essential we get it right. However I believe at this stage we should know who our number one option is and as such we may need to move quickly. All due diligence and research on candidates IMO should be practically completed. Some of the names linked won't be available for much longer IMO.

Regardless I just hope we get it right.

I agree, and suspect things are further along than what the fans think.

It is a fine line we find oursleves on, rush in and maybe take the wrong guy but get some signings, take our time, get the right guy and lose player targets.

As for us losing targets to our oposition. Their market (hibs) seems very small so far (Scotland), i would like to think we will be looking further afield.

If rumours are true, the manager is lined up and players already been contacted.

My opinion? The manager will be decided today/last night (Warburton&Weir), and then personal terms done this afternoon and announced tonight/tomorrow. (I have no insider knowledge, that is just my opinion).

If McCall keeps the job am gonna be really really disappointed

As much as i would be disappointed, i do not think he would do a bad job with his own squad in place, just not my no1 choice. For me he would be 4th out of the names mentioned (if indeed the Olympiakos manager is out of the picture now which is rumoured to be true).

It looks as though (unless we have been totally blind-sided,) that it will be between Warburton, McLeish and McCall. I still remember the excitement of Advocaat coming in and the very special team he built, a team who in their first competitive match were 3-0 down against minor league opposition and won 5-3. Please, if anyone has more accurate info, feel free to point it out. Anyway, the upshot is that it is much more exciting to have an unknown quantity coming in (Paul Le Guen anyone) and I am not convinced by the Motherwell connection of McLeish and McCall. I would be reluctant to have Warburton without Weir because he is too inexperienced but overall, he is my preference, though I feel all three could do a job. McCall had a tough job to do but he did panic a bit and we need someone who can see the project through.

Interesting that Perreira's name has cropped up.

I was told a few weeks back, from a normally reliable source that the number 1 target for manager was Portugese.

That was as much as he could say at the time, but as I say, he 100% has the word on things from a current player. It was from the player I got my tickets for Fir Park, but I won't hold that against him. lol

Perhaps he was the manager they had lined up after promotion

Seeing Cathro's name more and more is exciting!

All these people who kept saying 'take applications, interview, then choose the right man for the job!', yet when we are doing just that, people getting annoyed that is wasn't done and announced on Monday. lol

they should have been doing that as soon as they got in. Plenty of managers would want the Rangers job.

they should have been doing that as soon as they got in. Plenty of managers would want the Rangers job.

Plenty would want our job yes. But plenry would only take it if we were in the SPL, with that uncertainty, i can see why it was delayed. Feelers were clearly put out before hand, but almost every manager would have come back and said they would talk when our position was known. Not to mention McCalls chances if he had taken us up.

A delay now (if only short) is worth so much more to us than rushing in.

Maybe we had a man lined up ready to come in and they backed out at the weekend? rumours are that we were in advanced stages with someone. That could also be an option. My guess is we will never know.

It looks as though (unless we have been totally blind-sided,) that it will be between Warburton, McLeish and McCall. I still remember the excitement of Advocaat coming in and the very special team he built, a team who in their first competitive match were 3-0 down against minor league opposition and won 5-3. Please, if anyone has more accurate info, feel free to point it out. Anyway, the upshot is that it is much more exciting to have an unknown quantity coming in (Paul Le Guen anyone) and I am not convinced by the Motherwell connection of McLeish and McCall. I would be reluctant to have Warburton without Weir because he is too inexperienced but overall, he is my preference, though I feel all three could do a job. McCall had a tough job to do but he did panic a bit and we need someone who can see the project through.

3-0 down to shelbourne mate at tranmeres ground in a champions league qualifier and went on to win 5-3 ...mind sitting behind d the goal thinking wtf is going on here but we were outstanding in second half

3-0 down to shelbourne mate at tranmeres ground in a champions league qualifier and went on to win 5-3 ...mind sitting behind d the goal thinking wtf is going on here but we were outstanding in second half

Uefa cup mate