Summer Football Back On The Agenda

Three-quarters of Scotland's top-flight clubs told a BBC Scotland survey they would consider summer football.

Nine of the 12 Premiership teams were among the 27 of the country's 42 senior clubs who said they would be in favour of examining the possibility.

Only seven clubs said such a move would not interest them, with eight not offering a view.

The Scottish Professional Football League says it is open to debate on "a complex matter".

Since the BBC conducted the survey, Motherwell have been in touch to say they too are in favour of examining a switch to summer football.

It means that 10 of 12 Premiership clubs and 28 - two-thirds - of all 42 clubs now back such a move.

The questions posed to all clubs were:

Are you in favour of considering a move to summer football?

What would you consider to be the strongest arguments in favour of such a move or retaining the status quo?

While no strict definition was applied to the term "summer football" and several clubs expressed interest in different dates, the overall response indicates an appetite for change.

Not all clubs wanted their stance on the matter to be made public, but Dundee United, Hamilton, Kilmarnock and St Johnstone were among nine top-flight clubs keen to examine the issue further.

Wouldn't mind starting the season earlier in July and having a winter break in January after the Boxing Day or January 1st games but still not keen on the whole summer football idea.

We made the decision years ago to move to Summer football in Australia and I have to say it has proven a success. Now considering our Winters are probably on par with British Summers, it is still better watching it when the weather is very hot as opposed to cooler days when it's liable to rain in some places.

I wasn't keen on the idea at all in the beginning but it didn't take me long to change my mind. The pitches are of a better standard which suits good passing football as opposed to playing on a boghole and you can watch games in a better environment.

Its a big yes from me, first week in March to the last weekend in November, while I accept its impossible to predict Scottish weather its far more realistic to believe we'll get betyer weather and pitches playing through May-August than we will decade

It also gives Scottish teams an opportunity to be fully up to speed by the time European Qualifiers come around, while it would be a disadvantage to any Scottish team who can qualify for the latter stages of the competition it does give more clubs a better opportunity to qualify for the Group stages initially and for that reason I think its a worthwhile debate

Then you look at the pitches, revocery on a pitch is a lot quicker and a lot less traumatic in the Summer months than in the winter, clubs could save a fortune on Under Soil heating and floodlighting, fans also could be deemed safer traveling too and from matches in daylight than in what sometimes feels like constant darkness

Then there is the biggest USP of all, the SPFL would be the only show in town for about 3 months of the Summer, we would have center stage on the TV channels, we could be promoted properly by SKY & BT Sports (who do a good job right now IMO) and with it could and probably would bring a far bigger and better TV Deal, and greater demand for Sponsorship

We wouldn't have to worry about getting hit with a 12pm kick off time to accomodate the English Premier League, you know that if a big Scottish game is on then it wouldn't be in direct TV oposition with a much greater promoted EPL game either, then you have armchair fans, this maybe an opportunity to get then back to the game, a Kilmarnock fan might not be too fussed bout not going to a Killie game on a Saturday as he's paid for his SKY package which gaurantees him a lunchtime and early evening Premier League match, we can lose that temptation for few months, who knows, that few months might be enough to encourage guys to start going back again more regularly inspite of what the EPL is showing when it comes back.

I'm all for it, while we're at it I'd change the League Format too, while some might think its a seperate issue I'd disagree, I'd say the only way all of this could happen with the full support of the SPFL would be if SKY and//or BT Sport said...we'll give you £500m for the next 5 years we want a Summer League, 16/18 team League, Play-Offs etc...

Then I think it'd be a no brainer for the clubs, until the time comes when that kind of investment isa offered though I can't see the SPFL Clubs regardless of how many actually favour it truly going for it

I really hope it happens

1. Better tv money

2. More enjoyable to watch with better pitches etc

3. Could pick up some decent loans during the epl close season the same way epl clubs get mls players on loan

4. Surely will be betternfor local businesses as more people would go for a meal, find a beer garden etc rather than be desparate to get home and heat up

5. Scottish clubs would be more preparednfor Europe and could make us a decent league again

Considering they would be the club to benefit the most from it (Europe) I think they will be 100% for this.

We'll see. When I read the report it mentioned one unnamed SPL club and they were the ones that sprung to mind. I mean none of their fans can go in the summer as they're all saving for school uniforms. And when will Peter fit in the tours of Japan?

Picture this (far getched I know!) -

five/six years time, summer football. rangers revived and cruising the league. Good squad of largely Scottish players. The bheasts have the usual rag tag army of mercenaries and republic players. Scotland qualify for the Euros/WC and Rangers lose 7/8 players for two months whilst the bheasts are largley unaffected. Rangers lead at the top disappears and eventually lose the league.

Summerr football eh?