Cuellar's Agent Claims Mccall Turned Down Return

Carlos Cuellar's agent has told The Sun that the player wanted to re-sign for Rangers this summer - but the club have rejected the opportunity.

Cuellar, 33, is a free agent having been released by newly-promoted Premier League club Norwich City, and is on the lookout for a new club.

The Spaniard has plenty of experience having played for Aston Villa and Sunderland in the Premier League, but it's with Rangers where he made his name.

A signing from Osasuna in 2007, Cuellar played 65 games in his only season at Ibrox, playing a key role for Rangers as they made a remarkable run to the UEFA Cup Final in 2008.

Just months later, Cuellar moved on to Aston Villa - but now, The Sun report that Cuellar would have returned for a second spell with Rangers had interim boss Stuart McCall landed the job on a full-time basis.

Instead, new manager Mark Warburton has signed centre backs Danny Wilson and Rob Kiernan - and Cuellar's agent Gordon Reid told The Sun that Rangers have rejected the chance to sign the player, despite Cuellar wanting a move back to Glasgow.

"Carlos loved his time at Rangers and they were always his first option," said Reid. "He was hopeful he could go back there but now he is exploring other opportunities," he added.

Looking forwards

Over the past few years, Rangers have handed returns to former players such as Steven Smith, Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller, in a bid to rediscover the glory days of the club.

That hasn't worked given that Rangers missed out on promotion to the Scottish Premiership last season, and it's now important that Warburton looks forward and brings in young, hungry players rather than look back to what Rangers used to be.

Those players are now coming to the end of their careers, and signing a 33-year-old Cuellar - who has played just nine games in the last two seasons - would have been repeating the same mistakes again. It's tough to say no to a player who was so impressive for Rangers before, but the right decision has been made.

Wages would be an issue. This board have no money which was stated before they got in.

We have to be realistic we are not going to see a player of Cuellars standard here for a while.

We did have Cribari not so long ago. He is similar to Cuellar.

I think we have to bear in mind that Cuellar is not the standard of the Cuellar that left us.

Remember we were given the green light by Aston Villa to speak with him in 2011? I remember how chuffed I was with that, the legend returning, but absolutely nothing came of it.

It was just after Whyte took over; I'll bet that had something to do with it.

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/football/carlos-cuellar-given-green-light-1107990

Cuellar was collosial when he came and ultimately left too quick for the wrong club at the wrong time- I guess Murray knew what shit storm was on its way and hastily accepted the bid. Carlos now would be no better than mcgregor

He had a minimum release clause which Villa met.

I loved him first time around, but agree with the decision not to bring him back. His wages would take up a massive proportion of our budget and he's had injury problems recently.

A surprisingly good decision, because bringing him back would have been Rangers all over :lol:

I loved him first time around, but agree with the decision not to bring him back. His wages would take up a massive proportion of our budget and he's had injury problems recently.

A surprisingly good decision, because bringing him back would have been Rangers all over :lol:

Exactly, it's nice to know that period is over (i hope).

Wages would be an issue. This board have no money which was stated before they got in.

We have to be realistic we are not going to see a player of Cuellars standard here for a while.

Exactly! The only thing missing from that report is what he was asking to return.

I'd much prefer to go with the young crew, whoever they may be, than dragging ourselves back to the past.

Cuellar was collosial when he came and ultimately left too quick for the wrong club at the wrong time- I guess Murray knew what shit storm was on its way and hastily accepted the bid. Carlos now would be no better than mcgregor

cuellar wanted out, his "injury" for the kaunas ties would indicate that