Opposition Players Who Gave You The Fear

TheCutch

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was fearful of the great Juventus defence and especially Marco Tardelli when they came to defend a 1-0 lead against us at Ibrox in 1978. Italians were masters of the 0-0 draw then, had been practising it successfully for a decade.

The Times newspaper placed Tardelli at number 10 in their 50 hardest defenders of alll time, yet was a prolific scorer when he moved to midfield. A World Cup winner, he also enjoyed a highly successful career at club level, winning multiple league and cup titles and four major European competitions, even scoring in a world cup final.

I honestly thought they would kick our front line and midfield of the park,and hit us hard from midfield as they were basically the basis of the Italian World Cup winning team of the time.

Here's Tardelli fouling a great Italian striker Rivera 2 seconds in to a game......

But then two of our greatest servants, Alex Macdonald and Gordon Smith literally rose to the occasion and enabled us to beat the hardest team I saw at Ibrox 2-1 on aggregate, possibly our greatest European team achievement.

Paul sturrock

What a team Dundee United had them, I actually admired the way they played football under Jim MacLean, with good players like Hegarty, Narey, Bannon, Malpas and Sturrock, (and Ian Redford) and was disappointed they lost the UEFA final to Gothenburg.

Shame their corrupt wanker of a chairman destroyed that later, but that's another story........

Big Dunc when he was a young laddie, he was a formidable striker. Also enjoyed watching Frank Sauzee at Hibs but wouldnae say he scared us. Genuinely never felt unnerved by any of the scum. They make a lot out of a few goals Larsson scored against us but looking back I think we always did a fairly decent job of containing him.

Big Dunc when he was a young laddie, he was a formidable striker. Also enjoyed watching Frank Sauzee at Hibs but wouldnae say he scared us. Genuinely never felt unnerved by any of the scum. They make a lot out of a few goals Larsson scored against us but looking back I think we always did a fairly decent job of containing him.

In games against us hartson seemed more of a threat than Larson or however the fuck you spell his name

No one in Scottish football.

Mendieta for Valencia in the Champions league the year they went to the final certainly did.

The little Argentinian Lopez who was playing up front for them also, he ripped us to bits. Absolutely rapid.

Larsson... that thing he did where he'd run into the box with a defender at his back then just stop so the defender could do fuck all but run into him. That wound me up and as much as fearing him for being a good player I feared the ref would fall for that shite. He was by far the best player they had and I never got the impression he learned how to hate us the way Sutton, Hartson or that bitter cunt Thomson did, which meant he wasn't as easy to put off his game when we pulled ahead.
Never really had the fear with any players from other teams as I always thought they needed to have a good day at the same time as we had a bad one. If we had somebody out injured and dodgy cover in then I'd maybe have a bit of the fear but not normally and it was more to do with us than them.
Europe was different, with the better teams it was a general fear as they had a few class players in their teams you'd be mad not to fear.

Parma had a great team when they played against us in Europe a few years back. The one who worried me though was Thuram when he got the ball and started marauding forward we struggled to get near him.

Also agree with the comments above about Mendieta and Riqueleme.

two of our greatest servants, Alex Macdonald and Gordon Smith literally rose to the occasion and enabled us to beat the hardest team I saw at Ibrox 2-1 on aggregate, possibly our greatest European team achievement.

We were absolutely magnificent and the horsing of Juve remains my favourite European night at Ibrox.