Thoughts From Tonight

First of all it was great being back at Ibrox with such an air of excitement about the place and a fairly decent atmosphere.

As soon as we started you could see a difference in our play, absolute night and day with what we were used to being served up. Quick crisp passing was the order of the day and it worked fantastic for 30 minutes and burnley were really struggling to get to grips with it but their goal unsettled us a bit.

Tavernier was an absolute standout. He was fantastic going back and forward against a class opposition the quality of which we won't see this season. He looks as though he will be ano absolute steal and someone that could move for big money in a couple of years.

Waghorn showed some great touches and hold up play and I'm sure he will score goals in this division no doubt.

The central defensive duo of keirnan and Wilson will skoosh this league imo.

We could do with splashing out on a good winger and a real driving physical presence in midfield again in my opinion.

A few hairy moments. As much as it is fantastic to see us playing from the back it will 100% cost us some goals this season.

Couldn't judge foderingham too much but thought his distribution was poor for the most part but nothing much to do.

Holt looked really good, one of those players that finds space all the time, neat touches and think will be a great addition for 65k.

The young lads that came on did well and that Thomson who we have signed from man u looked to have a touch of class about him for an 18 year old.

Even though it was a defeat we all knew there would be teething problems and the was the case but it was so refreshing the way we played and I am now more confident going Into Saturdays game than I was before tonight's game.

If we start the his game the way we started tonight and keep it up they will not be able to cope and I struggle to see where they can hurt us bar Scott Allan.

Big hopes for this season and even in defeat I can't be too disheartened because I know what is being built and for the first time its exciting as you can see what is changing and for the better as well with you g hungry players.

Fucking bring on the season proper starting with Hibs on Saturday. WATP

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need a striker. Wag horn won't be getting us 20 goals a season and neither will Clark or Miller. Hopefully we get someone in as that seems to be an issue in pre season.

I dont know. Was unlucky not to get a couple tonight and has already scored two against hibs. See how he does on Saturday but cant and won't really judge him on 1 game

Looking at his record and the chances he missed tonight doesn't fill me with much confidence that he'll all of a sudden become prolific. All about opinions and that's my 2 bobs worth. Hope I'm wrong! ??

I dont know. Was unlucky not to get a couple tonight and has already scored two against hibs. See how he does on Saturday but cant and won't really judge him on 1 game

Thought he worked hard, linked up well and was very unlucky not to score. I believe he will cause defences real problems this year.

This team will come good, I believe that was the first choice team that started the match and looked great up until the goal.

So many positives in mu opinion, however I do think a setlled Hibs team may win this weekend.

We've not gelled yet and it may be another few games before we do, hopefully people remember that if it does go tits up.

Would love a clean sweep of trophies but we're in month one of a 3 year plan.

We should spank those cunts but it wouldn't surprise me if it's too much too soon though.

This team will come good, I believe that was the first choice team that started the match and looked great up until the goal.

So many positives in mu opinion, however I do think a setlled Hibs team may win this weekend.

We've not gelled yet and it may be another few games before we do, hopefully people remember that if it does go tits up.

We should spank those cunts but it wouldn't surprise me if it's too much too soon though.

Agree I think that was his starting 11 for Sat for the 60mins and for some of the guys to have been only been part of the team days its looking bloody good.

I think Waghorn will score 25+ :animal:

Spot on. Transformation takes time in particular when it's deep rooted. A complete transformation of culture is what MW is having to do here thanks to the complete neglect of his predecessors. Doing that and building a new team is such a tough ask. I am not saying we can keep losing games for months, we can't however it will imo take that until we can fairly judge him. The progress in a few weeks is incredible. If the Hibs games comes too soon patience is needed from the support.

It appeared as if every player from last season struggled to maintain the new formation required by the manager. I'd possibly exclude Darren MacGregor from that, who seemed to read it well from a defensive perspective, and possibly Tom Walsh who looked as if he would come to terms with it eventually, but the rest of the players from last season looked well out of their depth when it came to keep to it for a full game. Either they can adapt to it, or I think many of them won't have a long term future at the club. That first half was a bit special at times; especially the movement when we had the ball.

Looking at his record and the chances he missed tonight doesn't fill me with much confidence that he'll all of a sudden become prolific. All about opinions and that's my 2 bobs worth. Hope I'm wrong!

"looking at his record" means what exactly? Statistics? Did they tell you where he played exactly? Was he deployed on the wing, or maybe as a secondary striker? Statistics mean cery little. its all about the style of the people around him and the style of the striker himself. To me it looked very positive. It looks like they will link up very nicely.. you also need to remember that MW wants his midfielders scoring whilst his "striker" holds up the ball ;)

Just calm down.. our striker (for a day) will score plenty (over 15). If not, then I will donate £100 to govanblue's fund ;)

WATP

I was encouraged by the game, decent football played by us, first half more so. Burnley are a good team and appeared to be up for it, given some of there fouls and overall pressing.

But we need a poaching striker prompto, with injuries, we are left with Miller and Clark.

I thought we played some decent stuff in the first half but I'm beginning to worry that taking chances could be a problem for us this season. Hopefully Waghorn starts banging them in once he has settled into the team but I feel that signing another striker would be a good idea.

We also need to be careful that we don't leave ourselves too exposed on the break due to the amount of numbers we commit forward. It's great that we're playing an attacking style of football like this but in games like this Saturday we need to be sensible about it and make sure we don't leave ourselves too exposed.

Those are my main two worries looking at the game tonight but it's early days.

In enjoyed that tonight, you can see what they are trying to achieve and overall everyone looked good, all the new signings are an improvement on last seasons team and you know it's only going to get better. Really looking forward to this season and beyond. Although we will give goals away at points playing this way it'll mean exciting games and isn't that what we all want.

Thought we looked good, Fotheringham only one that bothered me, that kind of playing out from back is prone to mistakes but liked the fact we kept possession, so if were doin that he will have to improve his distribution, although first game boy willhopefully be ok

Accrington Stanley beat Burnley 4-2 at the weekend, we couldn't put one past them.

Still worried about our striking options.

Even if Waghorn is the answer, we need the insurance of another decent scorer- another season with Clark fills me with despair.

Always interesting how people see the game differently.

We looked promising for 30 minutes and passed the ball well but too many drawing conclusions from a meaningless match against opposition used to playing at a higher level.

Although we started well, we failed to score and that is something that needs to be addressed because it was a major problem last season.

Didn't see anything from Waghorn to suggest he will be prolific so others will need to chip in.

New players looked far more disciplined, fitter and more confident than the majority of players from lAst season.

The earlier we start winning games the better as We need confidence to build throughout the team.

All in all a promising start but still a long way to go.

Thought for good periods in the game especially the first half that we played with a far quicker tempo than I have seen at Ibrox in years.Its early days but im sure things will come good still a lot of work to be done but im sure MW and DW know this as well. Should be some interesting battles for places throughout the season should make for good watching.