Thoughts From Tonight

Great effort and an intelligent approach displayed by both Players and Management- a Professional Performance.

The obvious concerns are 1) Defence still shaky and 2) A lack of cutting edge.

But v early days, and against decent opposition. I am much more confident about the Hibs game - we just need to convert the opportunities created into goals.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A new team brought together in 4 weeks, some within days. Asked to play a totally new brand of football.

Don't think we can look too much into it. There are still names to be added to the squad I would think.

Really looking forward to Sat, might be a little too soon to see us firing on all cyclinders, I reckon within a month we'll be somewhere near where we need to be, and when it all clicks I can't see us dropping too many points.

This team will come good, I believe that was the first choice team that started the match and looked great up until the goal.

So many positives in mu opinion, however I do think a setlled Hibs team may win this weekend.

We've not gelled yet and it may be another few games before we do, hopefully people remember that if it does go tits up.

Would love a clean sweep of trophies but we're in month one of a 3 year plan.

We should spank those cunts but it wouldn't surprise me if it's too much too soon though.

This place will go into meltdown if we lose on Saturday, guaranteed.

It will take a while for the new playing style to form. I can see a few mistakes happening in games. I can see the same mistakes made as Liverpool when Rodgers started. When it clicks in a few months time I fully expected us to dominate this league.

Agree most with what you say, exceptional considering where we where at the end of last season, we look like a functioning unit, and that was after 3 preseason games, can't wait to see how we develop as the season goes by.

The intensity and tempo was vey pleasing, dropped off after 30, but that's to be expected, Warburton will have learned so much from tonight.

Disagree with people who say Foderingham distribution was poor, some lovely little balls played to the midfield three that either weren't read by them, but the understanding will come. He did have a few that went straight out the park, but that's the first time he's played at Ibrox.

Enjoyable overall, really pleased with how it's shaping up. Special mention to Tavernier who looks a cracking player.

Would also like to say well done Burnley, thought they were well drilled, organised and played with a high tempo too, they pushed up on us making it difficult for Wes to play from the back in the 2nd half

Never been so happy despite the defeat. great to be back at Ibrox

We can see from last night MW wants us to build up play from the back. This will need practice and the players will only get more used to it with game time. Maybe Wes isn't used to this type of play and played the ball to Halliday/Wilson a few times whilst they were under pressure. Can't fault him too much for that it's his debut.

Give it time but we can see from lat night how MW wants us to play, and it's the way football should be played. No more daft punts up the park at any given opportunity.

I still think we need another striker. Waghorn looks decent from what I've seen but Clark is awful and Miller is done, both should really be punted tbh.

Agree with this. I don't think we need another striker because waghorn won't score 20+ as I'm convinced he will if he stays fit and that's my worry. What if he gets injured? I'm not sure hardie or Gallagher suit the loan striker role, Miller is over the hill now and Clark doesn't seem to be showing any signs of change from last year.

If we could offload Clark and get someone else in I'd be happy, Miller as a positive influence on the training ground for the young strikers would be fine and a last resort should we need him.

Started really well I was actually sitting with a smile on my face inside Ibrox, the Burnley goal knocked us back a bit and I think the centre of defence needs a bit of work but that will come. Actually thought it made a nice change to see our goalie comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Negatives for me McKay he seems to have learned nothing in the past year and Templeton still falters to deceive.

Speak for yourself, I'd love to win and lay a marker but realistically it's our last preseason game with a unit that's played less than two hours together. I just want to see continuing progress for now.

I hate being negative but after the goal last night I was watching the guys passing the ball about, going nowhere, and thought it started to look like the same nonsense played under McCoist, i.e. playing the ball from side-side, nobody taking authority and not creating anything like a reasonable chance on goals.

Tavernier was a breath of fresh air at right back, Wilson looked really comfortable on the ball and I like the whole playing the ball out from the back thing but I'm just concerned (as I see a lot of you are too, going by your posts) that we're still lacking a spark in attack. Also, I'm not saying I want them hitting 40 yard strikes but I'd at least like to see the guys trying to belt one in when they get on the edge of the box instead of trying to thread passes through the eye of a needle.

I hate being negative but after the goal last night I was watching the guys passing the ball about, going nowhere, and thought it started to look like the same nonsense played under McCoist, i.e. playing the ball from side-side, nobody taking authority and not creating anything like a reasonable chance on goals.

Tavernier was a breath of fresh air at right back, Wilson looked really comfortable on the ball and I like the whole playing the ball out from the back thing but I'm just concerned (as I see a lot of you are too, going by your posts) that we're still lacking a spark in attack. Also, I'm not saying I want them hitting 40 yard strikes but I'd at least like to see the guys trying to belt one in when they get on the edge of the box instead of trying to thread passes through the eye of a needle.

It was clear the fitness levels aren't there, after we lost the goal we didn't have the drive, there certainly wasn't any passes for the sake of it, the ball was generally moved with purpose, looking to shift play, create an opening or go for a return. All very encouraging against a Burnley team that has much more ability, desire, fitness levels and organisation than anything we'll play in Scotland. Once we perfect the style, get the levels up to play the full 90, we'll see us creating much more. That first 30 is indicative of how we'll be playing for the rest of the season IMO.

The intensity was too much to maintain IMO, trying to impress to much during that first spell. It'll come, and all very encouraging, especially Tavernier as you say (tu)

yes - all possession football has to have a aim or else its just passing for passing sake and the team goes nowhere. Players shouldn't just giving the ball to someone else cause they dont know what else to do. The possession has to move the team forward, while moving the other team around - we cant just pass across the half way line all night - its has to have a purpose behind it.

Possession without penetration is pointless (I may patent that phrase).

For 30-35 minutes we were fantastic, best football we've played for years.

Burnley goal came from nowhere, but we got a look at the negative side of Danny Wilson, ball watching. Something he's struggled with for years, when Hearts did get caught last season usually it was due to this. Hopefully Warburton can get Kiernan and Wilson to form an understanding where Kiernan will attack the ball in the air and Wilson will do the covering and tidying up.

After the goal we began to struggle a bit, Burnley who are a good side with some talented players got ahold of the game and started to control the football. We did however look solid under pressure which is pleasing to see considering how poor we were last season.

Second half saw a load of changes, with alot of last seasons players coming on and it was nice to see us continue to play from the back, play the one-twos and the little triangles in midfield. Clear to see this will be a feature moving forward under the Warburton regime, something many of us have been screaming out for over the years.

Slight concern for me was players seem to tire late on, especially those who played 90 minutes. We are due to play Hibs on Saturday in a game which is played to a finish and fitness could come into play come Saturday.

All in all a good workout, positives to take and some issues that need ironing out. I thought James Tavernier and Andy Haliday were standouts in the first half, Foderingham was solid, Holt looked tidy, Law and Wallace put in good performances, Waghorn got himself in the positions and got himself about but still questions marks on whether he'll score goals this season and is his hold up play good enough? Kiernan and Wilson were solid, apart from the goal. Templeton looks fitter, his lack of gametime over the last couple seasons showed when he got in advanced positions but one to watch this season and for Walsh totally outshone McKay and deserves his start Saturday.

It was clear the fitness levels aren't there, after we lost the goal we didn't have the drive, there certainly wasn't any passes for the sake of it, the ball was generally moved with purpose, looking to shift play, create an opening or go for a return. All very encouraging against a Burnley team that has much more ability, desire, fitness levels and organisation than anything we'll play in Scotland. Once we perfect the style, get the levels up to play the full 90, we'll see us creating much more. That first 30 is indicative of how we'll be playing for the rest of the season IMO.

The intensity was too much to maintain IMO, trying to impress to much during that first spell. It'll come, and all very encouraging, especially Tavernier as you say (tu)

I agree with what you write and think that things will improve over the season, and it does have to be kept in mind that we were playing an English Championship team, just relegated from the English Premier League, but I just hope that we can get someone with a clinical edge in front of goal this season.

yes - all possession football has to have a aim or else its just passing for passing sake and the team goes nowhere. Players shouldn't just giving the ball to someone else cause they dont know what else to do. The possession has to move the team forward, while moving the other team around - we cant just pass across the half way line all night - its has to have a purpose behind it.

Possession without penetration is pointless (I may patent that phrase).

I thought that lack of direction/penetration with our play has been our biggest downfall over the past couple of seasons as tippy-tappy passing from side-side just gives the opposition time to regroup and get their defence sorted making it even more difficult to break down.

You should put the bit in bold on a t-shirt and wear it to an anti-rape/women's rights protest :)

I agree with what you write and think that things will improve over the season, and it does have to be kept in mind that we were playing an English Championship team, just relegated from the English Premier League, but I just hope that we can get someone with a clinical edge in front of goal this season.

I thought that lack of direction/penetration with our play has been our biggest downfall over the past couple of seasons as tippy-tappy passing from side-side just gives the opposition time to regroup and get their defence sorted making it even more difficult to break down.

You should put the bit in bold on a t-shirt and wear it to an anti-rape/women's rights protest :)

I have said it to the wife often enough - not that she listens...

As is the normal reaction whenever we lose a game to anyone regardless of who they are or the competition.

To be honest I wouldn't have it any other way.

It may not be realistic, reasonable or rational but it goes with the territory of supporting the world's most successfull club.

I don't expect us to win every game but I demand that we try to and every defeat is always a disappointment.

Saturday is the ideal opportunity to put down a marker against our biggest threat this season whilst also progressing in a cup we have never won and have been embarrassed in to date.

Pre season should have been geared towards this match which is the competitive start to the season.

We need to start winning ASAP in order to get the confidence and feel good factor back.

We have to win on Saturday, it's not a pre season game, it is a competitive match against the team who are likely to be the main opposition in the championship.

And over the season we'll fuck them.

For 30-35 minutes we were fantastic, best football we've played for years.

Burnley goal came from nowhere, but we got a look at the negative side of Danny Wilson, ball watching. Something he's struggled with for years, when Hearts did get caught last season usually it was due to this. Hopefully Warburton can get Kiernan and Wilson to form an understanding where Kiernan will attack the ball in the air and Wilson will do the covering and tidying up.

After the goal we began to struggle a bit, Burnley who are a good side with some talented players got ahold of the game and started to control the football. We did however look solid under pressure which is pleasing to see considering how poor we were last season.

Second half saw a load of changes, with alot of last seasons players coming on and it was nice to see us continue to play from the back, play the one-twos and the little triangles in midfield. Clear to see this will be a feature moving forward under the Warburton regime, something many of us have been screaming out for over the years.

Slight concern for me was players seem to tire late on, especially those who played 90 minutes. We are due to play Hibs on Saturday in a game which is played to a finish and fitness could come into play come Saturday.

All in all a good workout, positives to take and some issues that need ironing out. I thought James Tavernier and Andy Haliday were standouts in the first half, Foderingham was solid, Holt looked tidy, Law and Wallace put in good performances, Waghorn got himself in the positions and got himself about but still questions marks on whether he'll score goals this season and is his hold up play good enough? Kiernan and Wilson were solid, apart from the goal. Templeton looks fitter, his lack of gametime over the last couple seasons showed when he got in advanced positions but one to watch this season and for Walsh totally outshone McKay and deserves his start Saturday.

A fair summary but don't get carried away. We were not fantastic for 30 minutes. We played a lot better than last season but created few chances and missed great opportunities to score.

Fantastic would have been Waghorn scoring 2 and Law and Templeton at least taking a shot and hitting the target.

Granted not in recent years but at times we have played fantastic football over the years but last night didn't come close to such a superlative.

Not trying to piss in anyone's porridge but whils last night was promising it showed we have a long way to go and also that the squad needs strengthenING.

Can't really add anymore than what's already been said, overall pleased with the football we played, and the possession. But it's blatant to see we need another striker in the door. And our final ball is severely lacking, partly due to having nobody in the box to pick out. And as somebody already said, would be nice for somebody to have a shot at goal!!

Tavernier looks a fantastic player ?

Agreed, the penetration has been non existent for years at Ibrox, that's my main hope that we get Allan this summer as he has that in his locker IMO.

I thought we moved the ball well, a little too much at times, but that's the style Warburton has, he'd rather we moved it into a better position rather than force something through and get caught.

haven't been this positive after a defeat in ages, so it shows the progress we've made with an entire new team in such a short space of time, not to mention I doubt Waghorn and Taverier even knew everyones names, never mind be expected to play a high pressing, attacking game of fitba.

Looking forward to Saturday - managed to source some last minute tickets so I'll be there (tu)