Keeper's A Bombscare

Andy Forum

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubbish. If you ask a goalie to play this way, some miss placed passes are going to happen. All players miss place passes. If you don't like it, blame MW, not the guy following his instructions.

He had a good game yesterday and most of his distribution was very good.

How come our keeper gets slated for the occasional misplaced pass but outfielders don't?

The fact that he is exposed to having the ball at his feet so often is down to the tactics of the manager and invariably means possession will occasionally be surrendered.

He is a good keeper. Get off his fucking back.

think he's been a great signing so far - would guess most keepers would take a fair bit of time to get used to playing as a sweeper...

warburton was talking about the percentage of times the ball gets played out to feet and where the moves end and the stats clearly show that it's a good tactic - what's the point in a long punt to no one, especially with a fairly small team?!

I have no doubt he will make mistakes along the way but so far they haven't been too costly and he has picked out some cracking passes which have put us on a quick counter - let's give him some backing and hope he retain his enthusiasm for improving himself

How come our keeper gets slated for the occasional misplaced pass but outfielders don't?

The fact that he is exposed to having the ball at his feet so often is down to the tactics of the manager and invariably means possession will occasionally be surrendered.

If the keeper makes a howler of a pass chances are the opposition have a free shot at goal. The keeper would do better to take a touch and then look for a pass as an unforced error like that should have cost us a goal yesterday.

If the keeper makes a howler of a pass chances are the opposition have a free shot at goal. The keeper would do better to take a touch and then look for a pass as an unforced error like that should have cost us a goal yesterday.

All goalkeepers will make mistakes if their team plays this way. Just as defenders and midfielders will. It comes with the territory. For me it is overplaying and a modern day fad. Often this tippy tappy in front of the box anyway ends with a defender hastily having to direct the ball back to the goalkeeper leaving him no other option than to launch the ball upfield anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I like the passing approach but sometimes it is overdone and brings too many risks IMHO, especially if the opposition press high up the pitch. I'm happy to play this way but I am not going to blame the keeper on the occasions when it goes wrong.

Like others have said, my only worry about him is when the ball is played back to him in a pressure situation.

He seems very commanding of his box, gets everything in the air, and looks very comfortable for the most part.

His passing out will improve, I'd imagine he is training at it every day, and there has been a slight improvement over the few games I have seen him play.

I feel better with him in goals than any of the other options we have had since macgregor.

I'll second that , were winning ,playing better football the big guy made two excellent saves and a few good passes creating chances for us,comes and claims the ball in the box. So aye get aff his fucking back.

All goalkeepers will make mistakes if their team plays this way. Just as defenders and midfielders will. It comes with the territory. For me it is overplaying and a modern day fad. Often this tippy tappy in front of the box anyway ends with a defender hastily having to direct the ball back to the goalkeeper leaving him no other option than to launch the ball upfield anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I like the passing approach but sometimes it is overdone and brings too many risks IMHO, especially if the opposition press high up the pitch. I'm happy to play this way but I am not going to blame the keeper on the occasions when it goes wrong.

Hasn't generally been that way with us so far.

What a lot of shite.

The guy has claimed just about everything fired in on top of him and has made some telling saves when required.

Always quick to come off his line and tidy up.

Its not his fault we have decided to fanny about at the back at every single opportunity.

An accident waiting to happen. Makes Calamity Bell look decent.

Both him and Kiernan have failed to cut the mustard so far. A good side would have taken 5 off us today.

Thoughts.

Thoughts?? You're a moron!!! Armchair fan most probably.

Absolute nonsense.

Apart from not saving the first goal Hibs scored against us at Easter Rd he's looked a very competent goalkeeper. Taking the ball out of the air he looks very confident and has made some great shot stopping saves.

As for his distribution he's getting better game by game, yesterday you could see he learnt from previous games and wasn't afraid to just thump the ball up the park. Let him settle, passing out from the back isn't an easy job, but he's giving it a good go. We're basically asking him to learn a new position.