Why Did We Have The Different Coloured Seats In Ibrox

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it not because our keeper always wore yellow?

Big Peter wore yellow most of the time I saw him, I think it was the early 80's I saw him with a red and grey one..

Maybe some of the older fans will know if our keeper wore any other colour before the 80's than yellow, unless the other team were playing in yellow I can't remember seeing him in any other colour, If I remember he wore a red one with black sleeves in the 80's but I could be wrong

I think keeper's jerseys tended to be yellow, red or green back then - ours obviously wouldn't wear green, so that narrowed the choice down a bit!

It was coloured sections to make it easier to find what section you were in or supposedly.

The ICF if I remember used to sit at section red in the govan as that was near the away fans.

I always remembered them in the west enclosure next to the broomloan rd, back when the west was still terracing mind you.

Did we give them.to St Johnstone when we were done with them?

I recall seeing my old boys season book and I'm sure it said red section or some shit on it.

Would that be correct older bears?

My first season ticket was the Red Section Copland Rear,think the other colours were,Brown,Orange,Yellow and Blue in the middle.

I think keeper's jerseys tended to be yellow, red or green back then - ours obviously wouldn't wear green, so that narrowed the choice down a bit!

This, back in the 60s and 70s very few teams apart from Norwich and Brazil, played in yellow shirts.

I've looked at team photos from the seventies and almost every team had goalkeepers in yellow jerseys.

I checked Norwich (yellow shirts) as well as Motherwell (who had a mostly amber top) and Blackpool (who always wore orange), the closest I could get to a yellow strip, and their goalies were all in green.

I also googled "goalkeepers 1968" in images and almost all had green or yellow jerseys.

The 1980s brought about the big "fashion"changes in strips and jerseys and there were huge changes then,

Since then there have been many ludicrous goalkeeper jerseys but that's for another thread.

Not that this is an issue now but I know in North America, they would make seats all different colours to mask low attendance figures. Its harder to tell if anyone is in the seat. I googled this and found that in N America"Copps Coliseum in Hamilton have different colours seats in no particular pattern to give the illusion of a capacity arena when it's less than full?

Good spotting , ye need to get to the bottom of this now sherlock

Right Dr Watson had a Google and root around some old Rangers stuff, I cannot see anything regarding yellow in the club ties. The only relation might be to the lion rampant which can appear yellow but nothing official.

Iv heard this also, someone told me McDirmid was based on Ibrox and was often called mini Ibrox. Duno if there is any truth in any of that

Back in the day it was the same 4 separate stand idea, which I'm sure was build by whichever one of the two different companies who worked on Ibrox.

Had season ticket in yellow section of copland for years. As far as I remember the seats were given to a team in either Lithuania or Faroe islands. Remember people removing them and taking them home on last game of the season before they were to be made all blue. I think st Johnston got the old scoreboards.

This, back in the 60s and 70s very few teams apart from Norwich and Brazil, played in yellow shirts.

I've looked at team photos from the seventies and almost every team had goalkeepers in yellow jerseys.

I checked Norwich (yellow shirts) as well as Motherwell (who had a mostly amber top) and Blackpool (who always wore orange), the closest I could get to a yellow strip, and their goalies were all in green.

I also googled "goalkeepers 1968" in images and almost all had green or yellow jerseys.

The 1980s brought about the big "fashion"changes in strips and jerseys and there were huge changes then,

Since then there have been many ludicrous goalkeeper jerseys but that's for another thread.

Cheers.

Further complicated in England around those times - I believe only the England goalkeeper could wear the yellow jersey (some form of mark of respect).

Also, odd ones like Yashin wore black, I think.

Dedicated seats from Souness first season, so that sounds about right. I'm pretty sure I sat anywhere in Govan front in Wallaces last year.

I seem to remember the "Rover" season Ticket which allowed you to sit anywhere in that particular stand or i am going a bit senile. Used to sit in the Govan Rear, front row right on the halfway line. (tu)