Hallidays sending off

lewisrfc93

2 minutes ago, gogzy said:

While I get what GOAT is saying, and he does have a point ( albeit a very weak one)

I don't think anyone can really call a fist pump to the opposition inflamatory, inciteful or derisory ( think I might have speled them all wrong lol).   But he did gesture towards the oposition fans.

I think this is a ver very dangerous precedent that ref has just set for himself. He has used absolutely no common sense, and now should be giving every single player that he is a reffere of, a booking if they do a similar thing.

Personally I think the ref wanted to make a name for himself and send off a Rangers player,  he has made a big mistake and I don't see how he can justify it.  He has to have reffed many many matches in the past and I refuse to believe this is the first time that any player has gestured with a fistpump to the opposition fans.  I'd be willing to bet that this is the first time he has booked, then sent off a player for making such a weak gesture to the opposition fans.

It's simply a disgraceful decision, and there really is no justification for it, other than he played for Rangers.

The trouble with common sense is its not as common as many think especially when it comes to Scottish football and especially when dealing with the Gers.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, GOAT said:

It's the linesman that's made the decision for the referee.

well replace ref with linesman.

The ref could have easily overruled the linesman though, so he shares the blame.

Have you ever seen anyone booked before for a fistpump from the middle of the park, in the general direction of the 50 opposition fans?

2 minutes ago, gogzy said:

The ref could have easily overruled the linesman though, so he shares the blame.

Have you ever seen anyone booked before for a fistpump from the middle of the park, in the general direction of the 50 opposition fans?

I've probably seen a player booked for doing it close to them but not the centre circle.  But as someone says any gesture made now should be a booking.

Rangers: Warburton 'mystified' by Halliday red

By Richard Wilson

BBC Scotland at Cappielow

Rangers left Cappielow with all three points after beating Morton 2-0 but also nursing a sense of grievance.

The Scottish Championship leaders were infuriated when Andy Halliday was sent off after celebrating the second goal.

Rangers manager Mark Warburton said he was "mystified" by the decision to show a second yellow card for raising his fist in triumph, deemed an offensive gesture by the match officials.

Halliday is now suspended for Saturday's game against Falkirk.

The player was clearly furious as he made his way up the tunnel.

He had celebrated Barrie McKay's strike in front of the Morton fans, but television footage did not capture any kind of offensive gesture.

Richard Wilson is the only BBC reporter who is consistently fair and accurate in his reporting of us.

4 minutes ago, gogzy said:

I suppose if Falkirk score this weekend when shooting towards the Copland that we'll see them run all the way to the corner enclosure to celebrate? Now if A Rangers player scores, runs directly to the enclosure with 100 or so fans and goads them then fine, book them but not in the middle of the park and not for fist pumping.

Furthermore, how often do you see referees not give a yellow for an offence that usually would be a yellow because the player is already on a yellow? Or worse still a red card offence that gets reduced to yellow because 'it's too early in the game' I.e. Gibbons horror challenge on Oduwa. Aye, a fist pump from 50 yards is truly worthy of a second yellow.

as has been said by others this will be quickly swept up.

3 minutes ago, buster. said:

Scottish Fitbaw

Don't Sing

Don't Celebrate

Just pay-up, sit-down and shut-up.

:brokensfa:

And the donkeys at Hampden are wondering why the crowds at almost every ground in Scotland are pish. Well you don't have to be a genius to work it out.

Just now, sammy cox said:

And the donkeys at Hampden are wondering why the crowds at almost every ground in Scotland are pish. Well you don't have to be a genius to work it out.

This on the same day that both governing bodies make more straightforward fuck-ups regards the East Killbide Cup venue and St.Johnstone ticket allocation.

....and they are asked to judge if someone is 'fit for purpose'............:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, OlegKuznetsov said:

I wonder if our players will have a sarcastically muted form of celebration to protest this.

You know, a sort of "Shhh! (finger to lips) Calm down. Calm down." manner.

Nope, that's offensive to people that are mute and people who are hyperactive.

Just now, buster. said:

This on the same day that both governing bodies make more straightforward fuck-ups regards the East Killbide Cup venue and St.Johnstone ticket allocation.

....and they are asked to judge if someone is 'fit for purpose'............:rolleyes:

Exactly a bigger shower of incompetent cunts you have yet to see and they are in charge of running the game in Scotland.

I just dont think the linesman fancied Halladays triumphalism - yet where is football without it? does it descend to Primary school sports days where nobody wins or looses to avoid hurting the fat kid?

I think this smacks of the linseman having little big man syndrome. He probably got beat in every race at school.

Just now, sammy cox said:

Exactly a bigger shower of incompetent cunts you have yet to see and they are in charge of running the game in Scotland.

Regan and Doncaster are like two football mangers who have been relegated every season for the past four yet somehow are still in a very well paid job.

Just now, buster. said:

Regan and Doncaster are like two football mangers who have been relegated every season for the past four yet somehow are still in a very well paid job.

Yep if they were employed by anyone else they would be out the fucking door a long time ago.

3 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

I just dont think the linesman fancied Halladays triumphalism - yet where is football without it? does it descend to Primary school sports days where nobody wins or looses to avoid hurting the fat kid?

I think this smacks of the linseman having little big man syndrome. He probably got beat in every race at school.

"You came dead last, here's a medal for competing though."

Em no, don't give him anything because he doesn't deserve it. He needs to work for a medal like what the first place winner did. 

2 hours ago, GOAT said:

Plenty, and by the letter of the law they should be booked, and just incase you missed me saying this, the law is shite.

Couldn't disagree more.

A celebratory fist in the air is not inflammatory or offensive. You're interpretation of the incident is that it is, or could be. 

Common sense required from you, and the linesman. 

3 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Couldn't disagree more.

A celebratory fist in the air is not inflammatory or offensive. You're interpretation of the incident is that it is, or could be. 

Common sense required from you, and the linesman. 

Exactly what FIFA say in the section quoted by GOAT. Referees are expected to demonstrate common sense with regards to goal celebrations.

GOAT is right as the letter of the law stands. However the ref should have worked to the spirit which says to avoid punishment where possible.

We know that expectations are different with us. Rangers are seen as privileged, rich, and spoilt compared to the poor part-timers and low paid pros we have played for the last few seasons. That's why Black could be kicked in the chest when standing but himself sent off for 2 poorly timedd weak tackles.

The playing field is not level and we know it. Is is fair? Certainly not. We need to be paranoid on the park and lawyers off it. No one will sympathise much if at all. And the press will not back us in this because they will be seen to be backing us/Halliday after he got his last red rescinded. Lightning does not strike twice.

So, GOAT is right but it's a sad world where Halliday was given a yellow never mind a second yellow.

But as a lifelong Rangers fan, he should have known better. 

What planet are some of you on? It was a clear inflammatory gesture towards the morton support particularly stupid as he was already on a yellow. Halliday reminds me of a poor mans Barry Ferguson when he was getting past it. He snarled and blamed everyone but himself. Halliday put the team in a situation they shouldn,t have been in.

He had already said he remembered the morton celebrations at Ibrox and it riled him but he obviously let it get the better of him. Time to grow up and play with pride rather than trying to get back at average championship teams. What like will he be against better opposition?

3 minutes ago, centenary said:

What planet are some of you on? It was a clear inflammatory gesture towards the morton support particularly stupid as he was already on a yellow. Halliday reminds me of a poor mans Barry Ferguson when he was getting past it. He snarled and blamed everyone but himself. Halliday put the team in a situation they shouldn,t have been in.

He had already said he remembered the morton celebrations at Ibrox and it riled him but he obviously let it get the better of him. Time to grow up and play with pride rather than trying to get back at average championship teams. What like will he be against better opposition?

Aye no bother.