Hallidays sending off

lewisrfc93

1 hour ago, NeoGeo7 said:

FIFA's Laws of the Game explain how referees are expected to interpret players' action undera sectoin titled "Celebration of a goal".

It reads: "While it is permissible for a player to demonstrate his joy when a goal has been scored, the celebration must not be excessive. 

"Reasonable celebrations are allowed, but the practice of choreographed celebrations is not to be encouraged when it results in excessive time-wasting and referees are instructed to intervene in such cases.

"A player must be cautioned if: 

• in the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative, derisory or inflammatory 

• he climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored 

• he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt 

• he covers his head or face with a mask or other similar item 

Ok, I have to ask - and hope someone explains - but would Halliday (or any player) still have been booked if he made (what I would call) even more offensive gestures to Rangers fans? 

Purely Hypothetical...

Imagine a Rangers fan screaming at Halliday throughout the match because Rangers were underperforming, and he wasn't playing that well either. Even if the Rangers fan was his friend, and it was all in jest. Then Halliday runs up, scores a  30 yard screamer, and runs all the way towards the direction of the Rangers fan. Points at the fan (his friend), smiles, does the wanker sign, sticks the fingers up.. walks away. 

The celebration is not excessive, not time wasting, not provocative or inciting a riot...

But still "more offensive" by society's standards? 

Yellow card, yes or no? 

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, centenary said:

What planet are some of you on? It was a clear inflammatory gesture towards the morton support particularly stupid as he was already on a yellow. Halliday reminds me of a poor mans Barry Ferguson when he was getting past it. He snarled and blamed everyone but himself. Halliday put the team in a situation they shouldn,t have been in.

He had already said he remembered the morton celebrations at Ibrox and it riled him but he obviously let it get the better of him. Time to grow up and play with pride rather than trying to get back at average championship teams. What like will he be against better opposition?

We've got a live one here. :lol:

So raising your arms and pumping your fist is inflammatory now? Get tae fuck. this threads boggin. Those backing it are the reason Rangers and Bears are such an easy target these days

6 minutes ago, centenary said:

What planet are some of you on? It was a clear inflammatory gesture towards the morton support particularly stupid as he was already on a yellow. Halliday reminds me of a poor mans Barry Ferguson when he was getting past it. He snarled and blamed everyone but himself. Halliday put the team in a situation they shouldn,t have been in.

He had already said he remembered the morton celebrations at Ibrox and it riled him but he obviously let it get the better of him. Time to grow up and play with pride rather than trying to get back at average championship teams. What like will he be against better opposition?

i give you 12 hours tops 

6 minutes ago, centenary said:

By better opposition, do you mean the team you support?

I think he will do rather well. Your manager might need to be careful though.

8 minutes ago, centenary said:

At least start in the Boardroom and Financial section till you find your feet.

7 minutes ago, centenary said:

On a planet where we have a shower each morning, clearly you're not from here.

11 minutes ago, centenary said:

What a fucking roaster this one is, no even hiding it:001:

A player must be cautioned if: 

• in the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative, derisory or inflammatory 

For me when a player scores and puts his finger to is lips shushing the crowd - this falls into all 3 categories - its provocative (aimed at opposing fans) , derisory (your telling them to shut up) and inflammatory (your rubbing it in). I dont expect ANY player to get booked for it though - thats sad as fuck.

5 minutes ago, centenary said:

The user name represents the first place I watched a game so work it out____ who do i support. I remember the sorensons, kai johanson,roger hynd,mckinnon et al. More than just a teenage keyboard .

Well if all that's true, maybe you should ask yourself if Andy watches other players doing much worse week in week out without any punishment just maybe he thought raising his fist from the half way line was ok. 

Just a thought mind, so don't task yourself when it's much easier to put ihe boot into a Rangers player doing nothing wrong. 

18 minutes ago, centenary said:

You do not even try to hide it.

Here we go round the fucking mulberry bush. The basic fact is that our opinions mean fuck all. The rules clearly state "in the opinion of the officials". All the referee/assistant referee has to say is that, in his opinion it was inflammatory. End of story. Do I think any other club will suffer the same? Be real - it will only apply to us. Maybe Mr Warburton will now realise what he is up against in Scotland.

31 minutes ago, centenary said:

Utter drivel 

35 minutes ago, centenary said:

Maybe you should find out what planet your on before opening your mouth and making an arse of yerself!

11 minutes ago, CoplandStandBear said:

He has his opinion and you have yours, it'd be a boring forum if everyone agreed all the time.  It was as harsh a yellow as I've seen, reminded me a bit of the Gazza one when he booked the referee for sheer idiocy of the official.  

Gazza was booked because the ref didn't want to be made to look like a tit......funny thing is he looks like an even bigger tit reacting like that rather than having a laugh about it.

Halliday's yellow was following the rulebook where 1 in a 10,000 refs wouldn't have booked him.

If the referee and linesman don't make any kind of statement and nor do the SFA then it sets a precedent and any time a player celebrates in front of opposing fans where it could be seen as offensive in any way shape or form he should be booked. However, this won't happen and it will be swept under that rug that seems to have a 10ft high bump in it.

2 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

Here we go round the fucking mulberry bush. The basic fact is that our opinions mean fuck all. The rules clearly state "in the opinion of the officials". All the referee/assistant referee has to say is that, in his opinion it was inflammatory. End of story. Do I think any other club will suffer the same? Be real - it will only apply to us. Maybe Mr Warburton will now realise what he is up against in Scotland.

I think his comment after the match - "Rangers cant keep being on the receiving end of decisions like this " (or words to that effect) for me , means that he is beginning to see exactly what he is up against.

3 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Anyone remember this:

Now that is inflammatory and deserved the booking.....can't really say a fist pump in  the middle of the park is the same thing.....

You don't even need to look as far as that, Cummings scored against us in the first halve so he was no where near the hibs support. 

Shushed Rangers fans and cupped his ear

7 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

You don't even need to look as far as that, Cummings scored against us in the first halve so he was no where near the hibs support. 

Shushed Rangers fans and cupped his ear

Totally agree, though Cummings wasn't booked. My point being something like Adebayor is so obviously a booking that if you didn't book him then there would be uproar.

Both Cummings and Hallidays celebrations are so mundane in comparison yet somehow Halliday gets a yellow. Even if Halliday hadn't been on a yellow it wouldn't have been the correct decision but it wouldn't have got as much attention as this.

Referees use discretion when they interpret the rules and usually players get the benefit of the doubt.

"He just came on as a sub, can't book him this early"

"The game has just started I can't give a card this soon"

"The player is already booked so even though its a yellow I won't book him, give him one last chance"

It makes a mockery of the game when things like Gibbons challenge on Oduwa is seen (in the eyes of the "law") in the same light.

Just now, NeoGeo7 said:

Totally agree, though Cummings wasn't booked. My point being something like Adebayor is so obviously a booking that id you didn't then there would be uproar.

Both Cummings and Halliday are so mundane in comparison yet somehow Halliday gets a yellow. Even if Halliday hadn't been on a yellow it wouldn't have been the correct decision but it wouldn't have got as much attention as this.

Referees use discretion when they interpret the rules and usually players get the benefit of the doubt.

"He just came on as a sub, can't book him this early"

"The game has just started I can't give a card this soon"

"The player is already booked so even though its a yellow I won't book him, give him one last chance"

It makes a mockery of the game when things like Gibbons challenge on Oduwa is seen (in the eyes of the "law") in the same light.

What about that tackle on Waggy, no 10 or so minutes before Halliday getting booked. Lunged right in. 

Best of it is is the minute before Wilson got booked and I think Wallace got threatened to get booked. Likewise with Kiernan, thought he was going to get booked a few times for mundane shit.