Zelalem: 30th best young player in world football

Amato

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People going on about his passing. He'll be used to training/playing with Arsenals first team, clearly a better standard than our squad. Could be the fact that he is reading the game on another level to our players which is why he puts the ball places where he's used to higher quality players being and our guys aren't there.

At least that was always my excuse when I was younger. :D

1 minute ago, AlBear85 said:

People going on about his passing. He'll be used to training/playing with Arsenals first team, clearly a better standard than our squad. Could be the fact that he is reading the game on another level to our players which is why he puts the ball places where he's used to higher quality players being and our guys aren't there.

At least that was always my excuse when I was younger. :D

Then he's still no use to us. We should sign someone of lesser ability who knows where our poor players are actually standing on the pitch:dry:.

1 minute ago, AlBear85 said:

Doesn't sound very ambitious.

It's more likely to win us games than elite players who can't find any of our other players with the ball.

Or it could just have been a specious argument in the first place, which only really works when you're trying to tell your mates that they're just not up to your level yet (I've also tried it on but nobody fell for it).

33 minutes ago, TheMotor said:

He's being out-performed on his productivity, in terms of goals and assists, by every other midfielder at the club who is getting any game time. That includes Dean Shiels and Nicky Law, who a number of fans do not rate at all. I don't believe for a second that there aren't at least a hundred young players worldwide who are better than Dean Shiels and Nicky Law. He may have potential (I think he has, others don't) but he is not delivering just now.

Does Law really have more assists than Zelalem, I don't think so...

To be honest mate, I understand what you mean, but I think that Law had a poor game against Morton and sort of trundled through it, if Zelalem done as poorly as Law against Morton I am sure that people would have pointed it out on the forum, whereas because it was Law it seems to have been left unopened in the mailbox.

14 minutes ago, RangersMind said:

Does Law really have more assists than Zelalem, I don't think so...

To be honest mate, I understand what you mean, but I think that Law had a poor game against Morton and sort of trundled through it, if Zelalem done as poorly as Law against Morton I am sure that people would have pointed it out on the forum, whereas because it was Law it seems to have been left unopened in the mailbox.

For the amount of game time they had, up until the end of December, Law was more productive. He delivered a goal or an assist for every 198 minutes he played. Zelalem delivered every 257 minutes played. I haven't got January's numbers.

But as we know statistics can't tell you everything. People like players mainly for subjective reasons, like how entertained they are watching them, which is fair enough. I think he has great touch and great potential. I just don't think he is ready to deliver yet and he doesn't get me out of my seat.

48 minutes ago, legalbeagle said:

He is blatantly not the 30th best young player in the world, otherwise he would probably be a first choice for a team playing in the second tier of this crappy country.

Bad day when I agree with LB.

Today is a bad day.

I think he'll turn out a quality player in years to come. His time at Rangers will do him good in the long run.

He could end up being a similar type to Özil. He has the potential. Good vision and technique. He has been sloppy some matches and giving cheap balls away but he's only going to improve. 

I can however, see why he splits opinion amongst fans. 

1 hour ago, TheMotor said:

For the amount of game time they had, up until the end of December, Law was more productive. He delivered a goal or an assist for every 198 minutes he played. Zelalem delivered every 257 minutes played. I haven't got January's numbers.

But as we know statistics can't tell you everything. People like players mainly for subjective reasons, like how entertained they are watching them, which is fair enough. I think he has great touch and great potential. I just don't think he is ready to deliver yet and he doesn't get me out of my seat.

You said in terms of goals and assists that Zelalem was the worst of the midfielders getting game time.

Going by the stats on here,Law has 3 assists and 1 goal. Zelalem has 6 assists and no goals. So Zelalem has contributed to 6 goals and Law has contributed to 4. So going by goals and assists as you said, then Zelalem is not the worst.

One of many players who look good because they don't lose possession, play simple sideways/backwards passes and get the ball away as soon as possible. 

Never seen a player so scared to shoot in all of my life. Regardless of what anybody says, he's not very good. With the build of a snooker cue he's going anywhere but the top.

3 minutes ago, LeeWallaceRFC said:

One of many players who look good because they don't lose possession, play simple sideways/backwards passes and get the ball away as soon as possible. 

Never seen a player so scared to shoot in all of my life. Regardless of what anybody says, he's not very good. With the build of a snooker cue he's going anywhere but the top.

Tbh I'd take the opinions of Warburton and Wenger over some guy on the internet.

11 hours ago, RangersMind said:

I bet the other 29 of those youngsters on the list aren't beefy tanks mate, like some people expect Gedion to be. 

You don't have to be a tank to be able to shoot or go by someone or be able to tackle for that matter.  He just doesn't do enough.

10 hours ago, geronimoo said:

Better still Freddy Adu, he was going to be the next Pele.

Ah, Fredua... The very dude I was thinking of when I read the OP.

Since leaving Benfica - eleven league games in four years - he has played for such giants of world football such as Çaykur Rizespor, Philadelphia Union, Bahia, Jagodina, KuPS Kuopion Palloseura, KuFu-98 and Tampa Bay Rowdies.

So, I suppose he has mirrored Pelé in the sense that he has never played in one of the top leagues.

Still only 26-years-old... Which would be considered a promising youngster around these parts.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/united-states/2016/01/28/19765022/freddy-adu-takes-full-responsibility-for-disappointing

He must sometimes wonder how it would all have panned out had his mother not won the Green Card Lottery and he had stayed in Ghana.