1-0 or 4-3?

Bluepeter9

We must win - that's no 1 priority!

but if winning meant more 1-0 or 2 -0 games but solid defensively would you prefer that to high scoring games like Saturday's  4-3 with the occasional blip ( Falkirk) ?

i would prefer the cleaner sheet approach but at the start of the season most seemed happy with 'attack attack attack' as long as we win. I think defence is a strong part of any successful team but MW seems to suggest the more forward approach will stay - in which case results like the last two will happen. 

What do you prefer! 

We've been winning with style for a fair part of the season while also keeping clean sheets. We also managed to grind out a fair few 1-0 victories so have shown we can also "win ugly" when required.

I see no reason why we can't continue to have the best of both worlds. Far too much being made of the last 2 matches as they have not been the norm this season.

7 minutes ago, Ayrshire Blue said:

I prefer the 4-3 scenario just now (although can get nervy) - hopefully, as we get better it might become 5-2, then 6-1 etc. (sometimes playing 'better' teams is easier, ie Dundee game).

Open football, score goals, continuous improvement.

I think it doubtful that too many SPL opposition will come to Ibrox and go at it the way Dundee did after seeing what happened to them.  St Johnstone didn't they dug in and got the result despite the fact we had two thirds of the possession and twice as many shots as they did.  Though O'Halloran made a huge difference on the night and he wont be plaguing us again.  Probably clinched his move that night. 

3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think it doubtful that too many SPL opposition will come to Ibrox and go at it the way Dundee did after seeing what happened to them.  St Johnstone didn't they dug in and got the result despite the fact we had two thirds of the possession and twice as many shots as they did.  Though O'Halloran made a huge difference on the night and he wont be plaguing us again.  Probably clinched his move that night. 

:lol: that was a move clincher if I've ever seen one the wee bugger that he is!

I prefer the goals because that will mean entertaining attacking football, sure we may lose goals now and again but it's not like the defence has been leaking them here there and everywhere. Sometimes  throughout the season the team struggles with one thing or an other........past two games it's losing sloppy goals, I'm not worried about it at all and have confidence in the team, players and manager.

4 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

:lol: that was a move clincher if I've ever seen one the wee bugger that he is!

And long may he continue being a wee bugger.  He did exactly the same thing at parkhead shortly before his move with a typical comment in next days papers being "they had no answer for O'Halloran"  This guy could be a revelation if we make it into Europe where teams will be forced to go at it over two ties especially if we can gain an advantage in the first leg.  Pace like that can torment any team if he gets the room to use it which he did at Ibrox when playing against us.

The high scoring open approach gives the opposition hope and may make them more likely to attack which plays into our hands.

The aim of the game is simple: outscore the opposition. I'm confident that we can do that with the current approach, although I'm not sure how it wil work in Europe.

24 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think it doubtful that too many SPL opposition will come to Ibrox and go at it the way Dundee did after seeing what happened to them.....

I agree most teams won't but the tims, sheep & hertz will fancy their chances. We can still beat the remainder in the league comfortably and when we play the other teams at their places, the onus on them will be to open up a bit more.

Our style of football won't change home or away, so all I can see next year are fairly high scoring games (3s and 4s).

I've had my fill of overly defensive football, sitting in, playing for draws, holding out for a point, etc.  Walter did a great job in terms of results but it's time to move on from that brand of football.  Warburton is giving us a modern brand of exciting football and our fans are long overdue this.  I'd take 4-3 over a 1-0 every day of the week for years to come.

Look at it this way, the nervier these last few games are, the greater the case for bringing in a higher calibre of player will be.

Can only be a good thing as long as we keep getting those 3 points.

2 minutes ago, Figo said:

Look at it this way, the nervier these last few games are, the greater the case for bringing in a higher calibre of player will be.

Can only be a good thing as long as we keep getting those 3 points.

I don't think there is a nerviness about the upcoming games as much as just a sense of wanting to push it over the line into mathematically finished despite the fact we and everyone else including the opposition know it is already effectively finished.  I want it done and dusted to see if he tinkers with the team throwing in some untested fringe players.

If both sides are attacking I fancy us to win almost every game. 

If both sides are strong defensively we'll draw at least once a month.

I'll take end to end stuff every time. We just need to cut out the individual errors at the back and we'll be fine.

Depends on the way the 4-3 happened, if we were conceding goals as a result of counter attacks against our attacking play then fair enough. The problem is though that most of our goals conceded are from individual mistakes and not closing people down on the edge of the box. I'd take a mistake free win over a clown show at the back any day if the week.

Love the attacking enterprising style we have adopted this year, refreshing change from previous years.  If we lose a few more goals from defensive frailties along the way so be it.  For so long I've been fed up seeing us play cautiously, playing two fullbacks in tandem on one side being a case in point, so refreshing to see a manager not afraid to play out-and-out wingers on each wing, and young wingers at that.  

With the attacking policy, I'm sure there will be a few days that we come a cropper and maybe lose big.  The reaction of the fans will be interesting if that happens, will we be able to show as much belief and courage as our manager.  Hope so because it's the way forward.

Have to say I'm enjoying my football right now with this cavalier approach. There's no doubting that against a higher standard and more clinical teams we may lose a few more goals , but with the passing , movement and one touch football up front , I think we're likely to score at least one more goal than the opposition. 

Another factor worth considering is ST sales , and while I accept that winning is the biggest factor in this , so too is letting the customers go home having enjoyed their football and not just by grinding out a victory week on week .