1-0 or 4-3?

Bluepeter9

I'd rather a 1-0 over being 4 up and then worrying about whether we are going to ship a couple of goals in the last few.

Thought we would start giving away more goals later on in the season once the other teams had seen how we played. This season we have been using different tactics from a manager no one really had any experience with, they didn't know how he played, what he changed if things weren't working. Whereas last year the opposition manager could probably have told us exactly what ally was going to do in 10 mins time, before ally had decided himself. 

Now they have worked out what we do, where our weaknesses are and how to exploit them. MW and the guys just need to find solutions to our weaknesses.

The past 2 results wouldn't be talked about if we never made 6 mistakes.  We've hardly made any mistakes which have led to goals all season so I think too much emphasis has gone into the last 2 weeks.

weve had years of shite football with the odd purple patch of good stuff for too long and a club our size shouldn't be unattractive to watch- neutrals should want to watch the games and it's about time we started exciting the punters. Personally I think we're getting the errors out the way before the final and semi final. 

I have to disagree with the majority, the assumption of most seems to be that 1-0 means grinding out and equals a boring match - that is just not true.

You can have a 1-0 match where you dominate, play sexy football, but just don't take chances - it means when that ball finally crosses the line it feels amazing and is a huge relief.

1-0 also means that our defense is working and working well. 4-3 means our defense is pretty bad and it's just as well we can outscore.

In my opinion, I don't think we should paper over the cracks of a poor defense by scoring more goals than the opposition. If however it is simply that we are caught on the break a lot of the time because we are so attacking then fair enough.

But me? 1-0 with sexy football over 4-3 defensively poor easily.

5 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I have to disagree with the majority, the assumption of most seems to be that 1-0 means grinding out and equals a boring match - that is just not true.

You can have a 1-0 match where you dominate, play sexy football, but just don't take chances - it means when that ball finally crosses the line it feels amazing and is a huge relief.

1-0 also means that our defense is working and working well. 4-3 means our defense is pretty bad and it's just as well we can outscore.

In my opinion, I don't think we should paper over the cracks of a poor defense by scoring more goals than the opposition. If however it is simply that we are caught on the break a lot of the time because we are so attacking then fair enough.

All of this :541:

3 hours ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Good points - agreed 

We are not playing 4-3 football though. There have been times in seasons past where we have played 1-0 football, but in the last few matches of this season we have played 4-0 football. The goals we have conceded have absolutely nothing to do with our style of play, but are due to individual errors and complacency. 

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Why can't we win 4-0 or 5-0 playing attacking football with a solid defence?

Why does it always have to be one or the other, that's a load of bull. 

It's unrealistic  - I know of no team that's always winning 4 or 5 nil  all the time - I also can't think of any team that is successful that can't defend well ( so on that we agree) 

It's got to be more goals the better surely. It can get nervy but we have exciting matches. Watching boring defensive 1 v 0 wins isn't as appealing. 

The most important thing is obviously getting the win but the football these days is enjoyable to watch .

That 4 -3 win would have been perfectly acceptable if we had came from behind to get it(or drawing 3-3) Its the fact that we were ahead 4-1 that is unacceptable to me.

Cant believe so many people think 1-0 win is boring, some of the best games I've had the pleasure of watching were 1-0 games, I'd hope most here would see that as well. The relief of finally getting that goal after chance after chance - it's an incredible feeling!

But oh well.

There's a decent argument made for both , I am loving our attacking football but at the same time I also love a last minute tap in after a nervy game - some of the most memorable goals have been scored that way . 

Main point here has been made though , there's been a severe over reaction for the last 2 games , our philosophy won't change we just need to cut out the individual errors which hopefully will happen with reinforcement in training and experience for certain players ( tav and kiernan ) to name a few that they are playing for rangers ... Not Doncaster , Wigan etc where it's celebrated when they draw , we are Rangers , we win

40 minutes ago, Don't b a stranger ... said:

There's a decent argument made for both , I am loving our attacking football but at the same time I also love a last minute tap in after a nervy game - some of the most memorable goals have been scored that way . 

Main point here has been made though , there's been a severe over reaction for the last 2 games , our philosophy won't change we just need to cut out the individual errors which hopefully will happen with reinforcement in training and experience for certain players ( tav and kiernan ) to name a few that they are playing for rangers ... Not Doncaster , Wigan etc where it's celebrated when they draw , we are Rangers , we win

The reaction (not over reaction) is because we have shipped three goals in successive games. Had there been an interval of eg 3 matches between them, I think the reaction would not have been so intense. With what is coming up next month, of course we want to have confidence in our defence. After the last two games, it is up to Mr Warburton to ensure have that confidence before facing the mhanks.