Eric Caldow

Not sure if this is BD or not but it was great to see Eric on TV last night. Although his present circumstances are not good, he looked happy and reasonably healthy. Also glad they showed the clip of him against England  Brought back some happy memories for me. Wishing Eric all the best.

12 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Had no idea Eric had Alzheimers, watched it slowly kill the mother in law it's a horrible disease. 

Hopefully Eric gets all the help he needs. 

He seems to be in a good place; well cared for with a progressive outlook towards the sufferers.

Didn't see it but I heard a while back he wasn't keeping to good. Eric was an absolute gentleman and credit to the club. He was never booked, which is amazing for a defender. But he played in the days when it was still a mans game. All the best Eric thanks for the memories. 

14 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

He seems to be in a good place; well cared for with a progressive outlook towards the sufferers.

Just caught the end of the report last night he looked in good spirits. 

Used to see Eric in hospitality a few years back you always got him the same way full of life with a smile on his face, always wanted to know how Strathaven was. All my kids play or have played for the football club he started 50 years ago in Strathaven. My youngest 2 asked how much he would be worth these days, priceless I said. 

Eric Caldow most certainly a Rangers Legend. 

I did the founders trail a while back and on the Ibrox tour someone mentioned Eric Caldow. The tour guide was an older bloke but for the life of me I cant remember his name anyways he mentioned that he had seen Eric recently at that time and he was quite unwell then. Great to read now that he was in good spirits. The word legend is used far to much in modern world but Eric Caldow is a true Rangers legend

Here he is, one of my favourite players in my favourite strip.  As mentioned in a previous post,   Alzheimers is a horrible condition, my mother is in a home with dementia/Alzheimers, it's not nice to see once active people become a shadow of themselves. I wish him and his family all the very best.

Ericcaldow.jpg

Eric lived in the same village as me before going into care. His daughter still lives in the village with her husband, and they go to a lot of Manchester City games.

Eric was always popular among the villagers, and if you passed him in the car, he would always be standing speaking to someone.

People say Eric was the only full back in the world never to have received a card of any colour - Eric will infact tell you that he had never even been spoken too by a referee! ?

39 minutes ago, rbt1548 said:

Here he is, one of my favourite players in my favourite strip.  As mentioned in a previous post,   Alzheimers is a horrible condition, my mother is in a home with dementia/Alzheimers, it's not nice to see once active people become a shadow of themselves. I wish him and his family all the very best.

Ericcaldow.jpg

Definately the definative Rangers strip, IMHO; note how much red on the socks!  Also, great to see the old Ibrox with the covered terracing.

41 minutes ago, rbt1548 said:

Ericcaldow.jpg

What a beautiful photograph.

All the best to Eric.

WATP.

Would probably have been one of the 'greatest Rangers' if not for the leg break and would have kept JG out of the captains spot for a good few years as well. An absolutely superb player, intelligent on the ball, great passer , tackler and the epitomy of Rangers class.

2 hours ago, Corky True Legend said:

Not sure if this is BD or not but it was great to see Eric on TV last night. Although his present circumstances are not good, he looked happy and reasonably healthy. Also glad they showed the clip of him against England  Brought back some happy memories for me. Wishing Eric all the best.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-36426704?SThisFB

1 hour ago, rbt1548 said:

Ericcaldow.jpg

What a great picture. That there is The Rangers royal blue.

That , to me, is the colour or strip should always be. 

19 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Great player and a gentleman as well.  I believe sadly that Davie Provan our another left back from that era is also in a care facility.  

@thebooler did you know the younger Eric?

Didn't know that. Another real gentleman away from football. Sometimes played with him at Caldwell on medal days.

35 minutes ago, cstamomusa said:
19 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Great player and a gentleman as well.  I believe sadly that Davie Provan our another left back from that era is also in a care facility.  

@thebooler did you know the younger Eric?

I'm honestly not sure. I knew his daughter Jackie when we were at secondary school, and I vaguely remember she had a brother.

Eric was in the pubs in the village regularly and he always had something Rangers on. It would be his Rangers tie if dressed, or his rather large Rangers chain and pendant if he had his t shirt on, or Rangers vest.

His daughter is at the bowling club regularly with her husband, and as I said earlier, she's gone down the route of Manchester City with him, though I'm sure the Rangers will be jnside there somewhere.