Chequebook oot King

GOAT

6 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

The defence is still fucking horrendous and it's been evident for a year now.

Post the story regarding the VB's and King's statement. 

Here it is:

"Dave King is confident Rangers can mount a credible title challenge to Celtic after watching the Ibrox side make their top-flight return.

The club chairman was back in Glasgow for Saturday's clash with Hamilton and received a huge roar as he unfurled the Ladbrokes Championship flag following last term's promotion triumph.

The South Africa-based businessman was left in no doubt the Light Blues will find it tougher this time after a determined Accies side earned themselves a 1-1 draw in the Ladbrokes Premiership curtain-raiser.

However, King was clear when he outlined his belief that manager Mark Warburton has a squad capable of taking on Brendan Rodgers' Parkhead outfit for the main prize this season.

He told RangersTV: 'Today felt like the club was back, I thought the occasion was fantastic, the energy, the support, the crowd and the buzz.

'Even outside the stadium when I came in about an hour and a quarter before it was absolutely buzzing.

'You could see everybody was just happy to be back in the Premiership and in terms of the result it was a bit disappointing and it took a way a little bit from the occasion, but the most important thing is we're back and competing where we belong.

'This year is about being back in the Premiership and making an increased investment in the squad, which we have done very substantially to make sure we competed this year.

'The objective is to compete for the title this year and then next year to hopefully be back in Europe.

'We will then scale up the investment again so that we are also competitive at the European level.

'I think this team is capable of winning the league. Obviously the resources Celtic have got in their squad are far greater than Rangers but they have resources intended to compete in Europe.

'We are not at that level yet but having said that I do think we can challenge Celtic this season.'

Warburton has signed nine new players this summer but still wants another defender and striker '" and King is happy to oblige his manager.

He added: 'I have been happy with the business we've done over the summer and today was the first chance I had to see some of the new players.

'We obviously have a high level of competence and trust in Mark and (head of recruitment) Frank McParland from last year when they brought in a lot of players and they played well.

'They have been optimistic in the level of business they have been able to do and they have brought in players they think will compete at the level they will have to over the course of the season.

'I would be surprised if we didn't have someone coming in between now and the end of the transfer window.

'There are a couple we are working on and I think we should have some come in before the end of the window.

'We are also keeping our options open for the January transfer window so that we can reassess the position in December, see where we are and if necessary we might also do some business then.'"

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

One wonders what happened to the sentiment from our support of we don't need to spend cash to win the leagues? We just need a good coach! Or how the club must never put itself in financial peril again? 

Or even showing some patience as both MW and King have said there will be new faces before the end of the transfer window? 

While previous events have led us to be suspicious of boards and management, and we should remain vigilant, at some point we need to trust and believe in those leading the club - MW and King for me are earning that right. 

There's been a lot of flip-flopping over stuff like that. Predictable subs, playing favourites, every man back at corners, not playing youths etc. I think they're just confused bt their own stance now. 

I think we chose the wrong team if we had started Rossiter instead  of Kranjcar and Moh instead of Miller plus used Forrester even just as an impact sub as that worked perfectly we could have won, as we would have been higher up the field.

Hodson should have played as Wallace isnt fit or injured.

We still need investment in what is a average team.

23 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

One wonders what happened to the sentiment from our support of we don't need to spend cash to win the leagues? We just need a good coach! Or how the club must never put itself in financial peril again? 

Or even showing some patience as both MW and King have said there will be new faces before the end of the transfer window? 

While previous events have led us to be suspicious of boards and management, and we should remain vigilant, at some point we need to trust and believe in those leading the club - MW and King for me are earning that right. 

No one has ever asked for millions upon millions to be spent.

Are people seriously telling me we can't afford to spend at least £2-3m on a quality centre back?

3 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Are people seriously telling me we can't afford to spend at least £2-3m on a quality centre back?

I think we can afford it.  The question is: are we willing to spend it?

1 minute ago, kenzie2386 said:

I think we can afford it.  The question is: are we willing to spend it?

And are they available? Because if they are for 2 or £3m then what's to stop another club trumping us in wages? 

Even a championship club for instance could offer double the wages/incentives we can nowadays. Sadly.

34 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

That's not something I've ever said  as even with a decent manager he needs the tools to do the job, Patience was for last season as well, this season Warburton has to win it or he will be out on his arse.

I honestly think he chose the wrong team yesterday plus that defence which was murder last season  should have been sorted.

Money does have to be spent but we only seem to be buying midfielders that problem should also be addressed.

2 minutes ago, calio said:

And are they available? Because if they are for 2 or £3m then what's to stop another club trumping us in wages? 

Even a championship club for instance could offer double the wages/incentives we can nowadays. Sadly.

I do believe that such players are available, or at least, exist; they are just waiting to be "discovered" as it were, a-la-Jim Holton. I hope, and I also hope that we get to them first.  At least now we have a scouting system and that is something we have not had for a long time. It's a long road that has no turning.  We'll get there.

Just now, kenzie2386 said:

I do believe that such players are available, or at least, exist; they are just waiting to be "discovered" as it were, a-la-Jim Holton. I hope, and I also hope that we get to them first.  At least now we have a scouting system and that is something we have not had for a long time. It's a long road that has no turning.  We'll get there.

We really need to start developing more youth players, unless there's a massive shift in the financial rewards for doing well in Scotland we will struggle badly to compete with even 'lesser' leagues for good players.

I believe we will get there too, but it's undoubtedly going to be a bumpy ride at times and our fan base is hardly known for its patience!

4 minutes ago, miracle said:

BP9 IN TALKING SENSE SHOCKER

I think BP9 gets a bad rep on here i very rarely agree with him but like everyone he entitled to his opinion.

At least he comes out honestly and states what they are whether they are popular opinions or receive mass agreement or not.

18 minutes ago, calio said:

Our problem seems to be we have, a year down the line, no scouting network.

We are still signing players that Warburton knows from Watford/Mk Dons/ Brentford or guys who are clients with agents that Mcparland is pals with.

1 hour ago, BroomloanBear said:

Usual pish on here with too many punters with sand in the vagina after one bad result. This is a new team that's getting to know each other. Krancar is being wrote off after one game and the whole team are pish!!!? Same punters will be sporting chubby next week after we beat Dundee. Seem to remember Forrester being pish for 4/5 games. Yesterday was hugely disappointing but I have every faith King will back Warburton and we will kick on 

This thread was made because waghorns injured, we already knew we needed a striker, so now we need two.  Fuck all to do with yesterday's result.

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Our problem seems to be we have, a year down the line, no scouting network.

We are still signing players that Warburton knows from Watford/Mk Dons/ Brentford or guys who are clients with agents that Mcparland is pals with.

Yeah agreed, also it's clear there's an imbalance in the side. We need to strengthen the back line badly, but whoever comes in needs to be an improvement, this is where it is difficult because Kiernan and Wilson both have the potential to do well, but are tragically inconsistent to the point of complete frustration.

If we could find a  bougie again we'd have a right good chance at 55 this season.

1 hour ago, Bluepeter9 said:

This isn't the third division, the second division or the 1st division anymore.  This is the top flight, this is now the be all and end all of in life as a Rangers supporter to win the league, get into CL football.  Spending pennies in the diddy leagues should have been more than enough to win those leagues and come up with a decent manager in charge.  We now need investment to challenge the tarriers.

see if you want to go and suck mccoists cock, do it away from here eh?

4 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

More like there's a lot of over-reaction and taking things out of context to suit an agenda from the usual lot on here.

People said we didn't need to spend money to win the fourth and third tier of Scottish football, which is true, to attempt to claim people thought the same heading into the top division shows how pathetic some people are on here in an attempt to stick up for McCoist.

Predictable subs - Warburton has been pulled out on here a lot about them, no surprise that's being ignored as it doesn't suit the agenda

Corners - Again there is a thread on here about it, first time we've done it under MW and it's wrong, did you ignore that as well?

Favourites - Halliday is probably his only favourite that he continues to play, Miller wasn't always a starter last season! 

Youths - Are you seriously suggesting MW should be playing youths when we're attempting to win the top division? :lol: People 100% correctly had a go at McCoist for his signing policy as it was a much lower standard.

Your post is actually laughable to be fair, but not unexpected, same with BP9.

People claimed our youths in the lower divisions were good enough at the time to compete in the top division. People moaned they never got a run out in games we were winning comfortably. It even looks like Liam Burt's handful of appearances on the bench were nothing more than a tactic to convince him to sign a new deal. He isn't even listed as having been issued a squad number this season. 

People have pulled MW on predictable subs. Some, who were raging about it under Ally and even Smith before him, don't see it as a problem under MW. Had we brought Forrester and O'Halloran in earlier we would have probably won yesterday. We were totally flat for a massive chunk of the game but we wouldn't change a thing until the 60th minute. If he does the same as the season continues I fear it'll cost us again and again. 

It's far from the first time we've done the everyone back at corners thing. It became common towards the end of last season as we were struggling to win games.  

Tavernier is is another who you could make an argument for dropping yet appears undroppable.

Folk were up in arms when we sent youths out on loan, now its applauded.?His apparent blind spot to Kiernan and Wilson doesn't do him any favours.

Nothing to do with defending McCoist. He's long gone. You should probably get over it. More wondering why some don't hold MW to the same, reasonable, standard?

Theres much more to it than playing pretty football. Hopefully we can kick on against Dundee next weekend 

11 hours ago, KingKirk said:

I think its unfair to say the manager hasn't been backed... Hes had plenty of cash to sign free transfers your not trying to tell me Hill was the best CB available. We needed 5/6 quality additions this summer so far we have 4. all of those are in the CM position.. Last years weakness is still this years and that cant be right or be aloud to go on. 

He's been backed well for 2nd place. We have better players and have a much higher outlay on transfers and wages than the sheep and hearts etc so failure to get 2nd place comfortably would be a massive failing on MWs behalf.

What he's been given so far this season I think could have been used better. We needed a striker and 2 CBs first and foremost. We signed 5 midfielders, an old past it CB, a young forward that likes to play from out wide and a sub keeper. Now over 2 months into the transfer window we still need a CB and striker, minimum. For a manager that people say likes to work to fine detail etc that's not great planning. It seems like he's taken a bit of a kid in a sweetie shop approach and went a bit mental with signings that can't all fit in. All these signings also have an effect on the budget left for a CB or striker.

With all that said, like most football managers if you want him to have a chance of succeeding and have us win the league or at least putting up a proper challenge he needs a fair bit of money to spend. Not free transfers, not young promising guys, not young loans, not guys well past their best. He needs money to bring in players that are already at their peak, guys who can already play consistently at a high level. There should have been a good bit of investment in the squad this summer. A million here and there shouldn't be beyond us. If it is then it's going to be a long few seasons.

In short for anyone that can't be bothered reading all that: Investment is enough for 2nd. Well short for 1st. Manager and King both in for a shock this season if we don't bring in a couple of better quality players by the end of the window.

1 hour ago, calio said:

Many of the same people want King to buy fat Mikes retail deal out too, i think they quite simply struggle to make a distinction between the Clubs chairmans duties and the Clubs.

It's down to the Club as a whole to improve on every aspect of what we are doing, not just the Chairmans responsibility to bail us out . He quite simply isnt a roman abramovich that can throw silly amounts of money around, we need to be sustainable first and foremost.

Agreed - if one think the last few years have taught us it is to live within our means and not rely on 'sugar daddy' funding. 

4 minutes ago, MasterD said:

He's been backed well for 2nd place. We have better players and have a much higher outlay on transfers and wages than the sheep and hearts etc so failure to get 2nd place comfortably would be a massive failing on MWs behalf.

What he's been given so far this season I think could have been used better. We needed a striker and 2 CBs first and foremost. We signed 5 midfielders, an old past it CB, a young forward that likes to play from out wide and a sub keeper. Now over 2 months into the transfer window we still need a CB and striker, minimum. For a manager that people say likes to work to fine detail etc that's not great planning. It seems like he's taken a bit of a kid in a sweetie shop approach and went a bit mental with signings that can't all fit in. All these signings also have an effect on the budget left for a CB or striker.

With all that said, like most football managers if you want him to have a chance of succeeding and have us win the league or at least putting up a proper challenge he needs a fair bit of money to spend. Not free transfers, not young promising guys, not young loans, not guys well past their best. He needs money to bring in players that are already at their peak, guys who can already play consistently at a high level. There should have been a good bit of investment in the squad this summer. A million here and there shouldn't be beyond us. If it is then it's going to be a long few seasons.

In short for anyone that can't be bothered reading all that: Investment is enough for 2nd. Well short for 1st. Manager and King both in for a shock this season if we don't bring in a couple of better quality players by the end of the window.

This current squad should be winning the league mate no questions about it. If King says we should be challenging then ill hold them to that. Anything other than a tight fight then serious questions should be asked

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

There's been a lot of flip-flopping over stuff like that. Predictable subs, playing favourites, every man back at corners, not playing youths etc. I think they're just confused bt their own stance now. 

Aye it's kinda hard to keep track! 

As you state I did notice a few people now saying MW playing his 'favourites' - implying that he plays them ahead of 'better' players. Next it will be he is playing Kenny cause he or DW are mates with him! 

1 hour ago, Smile said:

I think we chose the wrong team if we had started Rossiter instead  of Kranjcar and Moh instead of Miller plus used Forrester even just as an impact sub as that worked perfectly we could have won, as we would have been higher up the field.

Hodson should have played as Wallace isnt fit or injured.

We still need investment in what is a average team.

And if we had drawn every one would be moaning that MOH was not up to the job, why was Rossiter picked ahead of Nico etc etc - I noted very little Cristisism of team selection prior to the game but everybody is a perfect hindsight manager. 

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

People keep asking for £30m forcwhat I see. 

And havent both come out and said they expect more players on with MW saying he was looking at a CB and a forward?