You win nothing on the cheap mr king.

KingKirk

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Has he spent 30 million or close to it on anything? the stadium still needs cleaned, repaired (in parts) and repainted and we are/were? using the fans fighting fund money to build to stand to allegedly help the academy ... where is this money getting spent if it's not on players to help "get us back where we belong" his exact words when talking about the money.

The next thing his fan boys are going to say is "the 30 million doesn't have to spent first 2 years" ... if that's the case what chance we got? ... in ten years time they can come back with their workings and shout from the roof tops "that's him done it he's spent his 30 million in your face haters" .. while the whole time we've not won the league once or got into the Champions League group stages.

You could be right but my own opinion on King was that very little money would be spent to try and acheive Europa league qualification and then build on that.  I'd prefer to win the league this year right enough but if we can't financially do that then I'd rather finish 2nd than borrow money we can't pay back.

the only positive about King is that he's better for Rangers than Ashley and unfortunately that was the only choices at the time

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, loyalfollower said:

You could be right but my own opinion on King was that very little money would be spent to try and acheive Europa league qualification and then build on that.  I'd prefer to win the league this year right enough but if we can't financially do that then I'd rather finish 2nd than borrow money we can't pay back.

the only positive about King is that he's better for Rangers than Ashley and unfortunately that was the only choices at the time

I know what your saying mate but spending money this season, or next - it still needs done - why not do it now and then have a chance of making the Champions League group stages next year AND the year after.

I agree King is better than Ashley and the others but that's not saying too much IMO. He's better but we still deserve better too.

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I know what your saying mate but spending money this season, or next - it still needs done - why not do it now and then have a chance of making the Champions League group stages next year AND the year after.

I agree King is better than Ashley and the others but that's not saying too much IMO. He's better but we still deserve better too.

Too right we deserve better. The manager deserves better aswell. It's fine and dandy paying wages but a couple of million could get us a real box to box midfielder or a commanding centre half.

the free transfers will only get us so far. Joe garner was 1.5-1.8 million so maybe there is a 'war chest' for use in January!!

32 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

Too right we deserve better. The manager deserves better aswell. It's fine and dandy paying wages but a couple of million could get us a real box to box midfielder or a commanding centre half.

the free transfers will only get us so far. Joe garner was 1.5-1.8 million so maybe there is a 'war chest' for use in January!!

From where?

I think we'd struggle to get a commanding centre back for a couple of million as is proving to be the case. I firmly believe if there was a commanding centre back out there for a few million we'd go for it. The price of centre backs in this window if ridiculous and we simply can't compete. (this is being discussed on another thread)

36 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

January could be too late

17 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

From where?

I think we'd struggle to get a commanding centre back for a couple of million as is proving to be the case. I firmly believe if there was a commanding centre back out there for a few million we'd go for it. The price of centre backs in this window if ridiculous and we simply can't compete. (this is being discussed on another thread)

It's for our scouting system to work out but I'd be surprised if we really can't afford anyone who could do better for us in the SPFL, we're hardly looking for the same level as the top clubs in Europe

22 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

From where?

If you look at what the manager can get for no money then for 2 million is bet he could get a defender up here to look like Jaap stam!

25 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

January could be too late

As we know first hand.having a 9 pt lead in November or a 5 point deficit in April means nothing. It's what you have after 38 games that counts.  Look at August 2005. We'd just easily defeated the 3-1 with plenty to spare and were at least 4 infront and qualified for Europe.

they won the league at a canter

7 minutes ago, Smile said:

Why have we bought so many midfielders when we all could see the Defence was the main Problem,

Because we had 2 at the club after the cup final. 3 depending on what you consider Forrester's best position. 

Just now, Vanoli said:

B

Because we had 2 at the club after the cup final. 3 depending on what you consider Forrester's best position. 

Do you not think we strengthened an area that we could manage without buying a surplus of players who will now sit on the bench, when we could have bought starting defenders.

I don't see what Warburtons achieved by it.

51 minutes ago, Smile said:

Why have we bought so many midfielders when we all could see the Defence was the main Problem,

I think the manager got a bit excited by the names of Barton & Kranjcar without thinking about where all the midfielders fit in or how they fit into the system.

40 minutes ago, MasterD said:

I think the manager got a bit excited by the names of Barton & Kranjcar without thinking about where all the midfielders fit in or how they fit into the system.

I can only think he didn't think we would get the deals done on them, as its stupidity when our defence is so bad and has been for the last seven months.

1 hour ago, loyalfollower said:

As we know first hand.having a 9 pt lead in November or a 5 point deficit in April means nothing. It's what you have after 38 games that counts.  Look at August 2005. We'd just easily defeated the 3-1 with plenty to spare and were at least 4 infront and qualified for Europe.

they won the league at a canter

We'll all remember the league being won from worse positions, but I think under these circumstances in our first season back we needed a strong start and we've not that had, plus they've started strong from a tougher run of fixtures. I'd just find it difficult to see us overturning a big early deficit with what we have

1 hour ago, simplythebest said:

We'll all remember the league being won from worse positions, but I think under these circumstances in our first season back we needed a strong start and we've not that had, plus they've started strong from a tougher run of fixtures. I'd just find it difficult to see us overturning a big early deficit with what we have

Yeah they did have tougher games on paper at least. But as we know it's not played on paper, I know they thrashed Motherwell 5-0 and we laboured to last minute win but you can't really compare the 2.  The lead stands at a point albeit they have a game in hand against partick they should win but it's still not certain.  As it stands if we beat them we go back infront.

apart from having a slow start which lots of teams do and this could hopefully be our blip, I can't see too much to be all flustered about. Do you expect Celtic to win every single game?

I can't be bothered digging up the Tims old squads and working out their total squad spend.

However, League Champions for the respective seasons, and the total transfer fees paid for the players in that squad. (eg that 02/03 squad includes fee's paid to Mols, De Boer, Numan, etc - our 2016/17 spend includes the fee for Lee Wallace in 2011).

I haven't researched the Tims, I got bored, but glancing over the only year I can see where the transfer spend of the league winning squad isn't at least £20m is probably 2011/12 (our admin year).

Typically this level of squad spend nets 75-80% of the 114 points available (85-92pts).

2016/2017 – Rangers (£5.0M) – Celtic (£25.1M)
-----
2015/2016 – Celtic (£25.8M)
2010/2011 – Rangers (£26.6M)
2009/2010 – Rangers (£27.9M)
2008/2009 – Rangers (£35.9M)
2004/2005 – Rangers (£20.6M)
2002/2003 – Rangers (£36.8M)

We'd be asking a lot of Warburton to assemble an SPL winning side for 20% of what is typical over the last decade or so. 

I've not checked the facts, but I'd be very confident in saying that he'd be the first manager since the 80's to win the league with a squad spend so low.

I do ask, do you think any manager in our history could inherit the shambles left by McCoist and the old board, spend £3.5m and have a team capable of winning the SPFL? oh yeah, all within little over 12mths, with a club that is rebuilding a torn reputation and no European carrot to dangle.

It is a crazy expectation IMO and not an acceptable situation. That isnt to say MW isn't making mistakes, just he has a near impossible task to begin with. If the board expect him to win the league, they need to give him a fighting chance.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I can't be bothered digging up the Tims old squads and working out their total squad spend.

However, League Champions for the respective seasons, and the total transfer fees paid for the players in that squad. (eg that 02/03 squad includes fee's paid to Mols, De Boer, Numan, etc - our 2016/17 spend includes the fee for Lee Wallace in 2011).

I haven't researched the Tims, I got bored, but glancing over the only year I can see where the transfer spend of the league winning squad isn't at least £20m is probably 2011/12 (our admin year).

Typically this level of squad spend nets 75-80% of the 114 points available (85-92pts).

2016/2017 – Rangers (£5.0M) – Celtic (£25.1M)
-----
2015/2016 – Celtic (£25.8M)
2010/2011 – Rangers (£26.6M)
2009/2010 – Rangers (£27.9M)
2008/2009 – Rangers (£35.9M)
2004/2005 – Rangers (£20.6M)
2002/2003 – Rangers (£36.8M)

We'd be asking a lot of Warburton to assemble an SPL winning side for 20-25% of what is typical over the last decade or so. 

I've not checked the facts, but I'd be very confident in saying that he'd be the first manager since the 80's to win a league with a squad spend so low. 

I do ask, do you think any manager in our history could inherit the shambles left by McCoist and the old board, spend £3.5m and have a team capable of winning the SPFL within 12mths?

It is a crazy expectation IMO and not an acceptable situation. That isnt to say MW isn't making mistakes, just he has a near impossible task to begin with. 

Plus too we lost about 30 million quid worth of talent in 2012 when everyone left - that needs replaced at some point if we are to compete. That was a title winning side, stripped away and not replaced.

We need to spend a bit of cash and get a core/spine of a winning team back again like we had. I have said loads I just don't think you can do that with frees and hoping for some unearthed gems from the English lower leagues. If it were that easy every team would do it (I know I'm repeating myself)

3 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Plus too we lost about 30 million quid worth of talent in 2012 when everyone left - that needs replaced at some point if we are to compete. That was a title winning side, stripped away and not replaced.

We need to spend a bit of cash and get a core/spine of a winning team back again like we had. I have said loads I just don't think you can do that with frees and hoping for some unearthed gems from the English lower leagues. If it were that easy every team would do it (I know I'm repeating myself)

Oh yeah, a transfer policy reliant on unearthing gems and a manager getting the team to (well) over perform is not going to win many leagues. Sure, you can supplement a team with bargain buys, and freebies - perhaps even a solid youth policy will bring through a good player ever couple of years, but all these needs backed up by cash signings. You're absolutely right, you need a solid, quality, core of players.

As said, Warburton is not immune from criticism, and he has definitely made mistakes - however take the blue specs off and you see that what we are spent and the time scale to assemble the team, performing 'level par' probably amounts to somewhere between 60-70% points haul (68-79pts), enough for 2nd place - but comfortably behind the Tims (unless they bomb big time). That isn't acceptable for Rangers - but it is the reality of it.

Spend another £10m and, statistically, we'd still need to over perform to win this league but it's more of a realistic goal.

Obviously if the board come out and say this...... their support might suddenly dwindle. However, you can only fool folk for so long. 

We are not going to be successful, certainly immediately, on the cheap. 

edit:

I've just been going back on wikipedia the transfer totals of our squads. I got to 1988 and got bored - this is definitely our cheapest assembled squad since then - and in those days you bought the best players in the world for £3m!

1 hour ago, B1872 said:

The lack of rumours today is depressing as fuck and I think it just shows how struggling for cash we are. Getting this Retail deal sorted will be massive and a step in the right direction. 

We knew about the retail deal as did the board it cant be blamed for their lies regarding investment promised.

Agree on the transfer deadline day its a bit gutting knowing we are not even competing for players,

35 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Simon Rowntree ‏@SRowntreeNews  14h14 hours ago
BREAKING: Martyn Waghorn is currently undergoing a medical at Bristol City. More to follow

http://rfcsince1872.co.uk/waghorn-transfer-done-deal

That's a spoof account, 'he' doesn't exist. 'He' is behind a few different accounts including @turdsonnews.

From memory it's a Manc who runs them.