You win nothing on the cheap mr king.

KingKirk

5 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

We've spent less than them but they haven't exactly gone mad and they're deluded if they think all that CL money is going on players. I think we've made some good signings without the need for massive transfer fees (although the players largely still need to step up) but we could have done with spending a bit more especially on the defence.  

It's a difficult one, I agree with building for the long term but I don't think that has to be at complete sacrifice of short term success as well, not when we're playing in Scotland and the standard has only got much worse while we've been away.

They probably don't if their MO is anything to go by, but BR isn't up here to fail, so he will spend his way to success, if he has any aspiration to get a decent job back in England, which I'm sure is top of his priority list and not that it will take that much if we remain to be strapped for cash. Them getting the £30 mil windfall year on year means that they can spend big if they need to, whilst we do not have that luxury, so where is the investment strategy Mr King?!

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, WeDontDoWalkingAway1872 said:

The problem is that we play in a terrible league in a small league that only people in Scotland are interested in. We literally can't drain any more resources from Scotland.

The standard will continue to drop and drop, the interest in the league will continue to dwindle and it will get to the point where we are competing for players with English league one sides as the money continues to pour in down south. 

Having an ethos is a sign that we are at least trying something different as I feel in 10 years time we will far more reliant on our own youth as we are just now.

Understood but with a bit more money we can still attract decent players. The taigs do it.

We still need a decent scouting network. McParland seems to be highly reccomended but he seems to only bother with the English leagues - we can't limit ourself to just that.

Just now, K.A.I said:

Understood but with a bit more money we can still attract decent players. The taigs do it.

We still need a decent scouting network. McParland seems to be highly reccomended but he seems to only bother with the English leagues - we can't limit ourself to just that.

Exactly we could always do with that bit more cash but I suppose every club says that.

Sure I read the other week there that the reason we have been getting players from England is that they can sort of bed in straight away although it doesn't really seemed to have worked!!

5 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

It's arguable that their starting position was a lot better than ours, with the number of players we have had to replace and yet our budget still being very much lower. I don't think building for the long term has to be in terms of sacrificing anything though, but the object being to build for the long term that benefits Rangers. There are fundamental practices that we are undertaking, especially when it comes to Auchenhowie, and that has to be a good thing. Warburton also appears to be working in the long term with the squad in terms of building principles that will hopefully be a long term endeavour as well.

Yep and I'm happy with all that, I don't think Warburton's position should be under any question at all despite what the odd person online seems to be suggesting. But I also don't think it'll be easy to continue a long term plan without some short term encouragement not a club like ours with or fan base always being historically demanding, you could argue some people aren't being realistic but it is what it is. I think Mark realises that as well, Joey Barton and Clint Hill weren't exactly signings for the long term so he'll know that a demand for fairly quick success is there and the concern of them getting 9/10 in a row will also creep into people's minds.

Their starting position was stronger, not as stronger as it could have been but Rodgers is clearly an improvement on Deila and he's been given some reasonable backing in the transfer market so it's far from an easy task and if we do lose on the 10th I'd find it hard to see us winning it this season even at this early stage. Finishing 2nd this season and it being seen as a year of consolidation will probably manage to get some understanding and winning a cup would help, but then the pressure will be on big time next summer.

15 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Think Warburton said the other week we can't take the risk of a number of foreign players taking longer to bed in than British based players do, although based on our start so far they probably wouldn't be doing that much worse

1 minute ago, simplythebest said:

Think Warburton said the other week we can't take the risk of a number of foreign players taking longer to bed in than British based players do, although based on our start so far they probably wouldn't be doing that much worse

The seasons a month old and none of the British players have exactly bedded in and gelled either, to be fair.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

The seasons a month old and none of the British players have exactly bedded in and gelled either, to be fair.

Exactly, although we haven't got any choice but to trust Warburton and McParland on that I guess and Rodgers seems to have stuck with the British market as well

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

1- We will hopefully ask the same questions until we get the investment. Or is King unaccountable or something? I thought the promise made by the fans groups was that from now on everyone would be under scrutiny?

2- Why don't we have millions? he said it was easier for him to lose 30 million than it was for some fans to afford a season ticket. His kids inheritance he said. What's happened to all this?

Where do you think this investment is going to come from.Tell us where.Do you honestly think that multi millionaire businessmen are going to be held accountable to a fans group.Do you really think any Rangers board member who have invested x amount will be held accountable by some guys on a fans group.Said before and I will say again these guys are business men and will tell you what you want to hear just like politicians.When in they will deliver what they decide.If the shareholders are unhappy with the way the board are conducting the business then the shareholders should remove the said board if they have the collective money and power to do so.We are in the backwater of European football and I would hardly say there is a que of billionaire investors waiting to invest would you.

3 minutes ago, sammy cox said:

Where do you think this investment is going to come from.Tell us where.Do you honestly think that multi millionaire businessmen are going to be held accountable to a fans group.Do you really think any Rangers board member who have invested x amount will be held accountable by some guys on a fans group.Said before and I will say again these guys are business men and will tell you what you want to hear just like politicians.When in they will deliver what they decide.If the shareholders are unhappy with the way the board are conducting the business then the shareholders should remove the said board if they have the collective money and power to do so.We are in the backwater of European football and I would hardly say there is a que of billionaire investors waiting to invest would you.

It should come from him - he made the promise.

So going on your logic in the next line the Easedales, Green, Whyte or Ashley shouldn't have been held accountable then? very good.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

It should come from him - he made the promise.

So going on your logic in the next line the Easedales, Green, Whyte or Ashley shouldn't have been held accountable then? very good.

And if it doesn't come from him what? Tell me plan b if King or anyone else on the board are not prepared to put any more of their own money into the club.Tell me what next?.

Can't a club only invest with inline of income?? Therefore we can only revinvest season ticket revenue. First of all we have the first team wages and coaches, then the u21s etc, stewards and the tax liabilities. 

This merchandise carry on is potentially stopping us signing a solid defender or 2.  Obviously the tims can use there incoming European money and under UEFA rules we can't compete with that unless someone pays 30million for sponsorship deal

4 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

Can't a club only invest with inline of income?? Therefore we can only revinvest season ticket revenue. First of all we have the first team wages and coaches, then the u21s etc, stewards and the tax liabilities. 

This merchandise carry on is potentially stopping us signing a solid defender or 2.  Obviously the tims can use there incoming European money and under UEFA rules we can't compete with that unless someone pays 30million for sponsorship deal

So why did he say he'd spend 30 million to get us back where we belong if we are just going to spend in line with season ticket revenue? so you admit he was lying?

Last season over a million on transfer fees + wages

This season over 2 million on transfer fees + wages (including Barton and Kranjcar who are probably on a pretty big wage)

Not Dave Kings fault these players aren't pulling their weight which was clearly the case on Friday night.

1 hour ago, jackrfc95 said:

Last season over a million on transfer fees + wages

This season over 2 million on transfer fees + wages (including Barton and Kranjcar who are probably on a pretty big wage)

Not Dave Kings fault these players aren't pulling their weight which was clearly the case on Friday night.

We need at least another 4 players if we don't get them we won't be anywhere near second never mind first

18 hours ago, sammy cox said:

And if it doesn't come from him what? Tell me plan b if King or anyone else on the board are not prepared to put any more of their own money into the club.Tell me what next?.

If this was the case, then the board should be getting us listed on the stock exchange, and putting shars up for sale in a share issue so that people who do want to invest in the club, can do so.

27 minutes ago, gogzy said:

If this was the case, then the board should be getting us listed on the stock exchange, and putting shars up for sale in a share issue so that people who do want to invest in the club, can do so.

And dilute their percentage, not going to happen. 

We already owe them thousands of shares for loans, so these will be released first at a knockdown price, then we will be listed if they can.

42 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

And dilute their percentage, not going to happen. 

We already owe them thousands of shares for loans, so these will be released first at a knockdown price, then we will be listed if they can.

Not only do you dilute the boards percentage but you dilute every shareholders percentage.

1 hour ago, gogzy said:

The books would have to get a thorough audit then and that's us back to the reason we could not get a Nomad a viable business does not survive on loans.

We need a Board with money, we always did instead we got this board of bullshitters which most could see through anyway..

14 hours ago, K.A.I said:

So why did he say he'd spend 30 million to get us back where we belong if we are just going to spend in line with season ticket revenue? so you admit he was lying?

I don't know if he was lying.  Did king say he was going to plough 30 million into the first team?  Those days are long gone in football- it either happens through sponsorship deals like the etihad one at man city or gate receipts and loans. 

Fwiw if Rangers have to splash out on 30 million quid of talent just to gamble at Champions league qualifiers then we may aswell shut the doors

Just now, loyalfollower said:

I don't know if he was lying.  Did king say he was going to plough 30 million into the first team?  Those days are long gone in football- it either happens through sponsorship deals like the etihad one at man city or gate receipts and loans. 

Fwiw if Rangers have to splash out on 30 million quid of talent just to gamble at Champions league qualifiers then we may aswell shut the doors

Has he spent 30 million or close to it on anything? the stadium still needs cleaned, repaired (in parts) and repainted and we are/were? using the fans fighting fund money to build to stand to allegedly help the academy ... where is this money getting spent if it's not on players to help "get us back where we belong" his exact words when talking about the money.

The next thing his fan boys are going to say is "the 30 million doesn't have to spent first 2 years" ... if that's the case what chance we got? ... in ten years time they can come back with their workings and shout from the roof tops "that's him done it he's spent his 30 million in your face haters" .. while the whole time we've not won the league once or got into the Champions League group stages.