Only 3 guarantee starters

ElBufalo20

4 hours ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

For me only Wallace Tavernier and Waghorn are guaranteed places every week if we have a fully fit squad to choose from.

Think that's where the problem lies. We have made some good additions to the squad and got good depth now.

However the majority of the players are really too similar and no one a cut above.

A middle field 3 of Holt/Halliday/Krancjar or Barton/Rossiter/Forrester is fine but none of them stand out all a bit much of a muchness really and any combination that start we'd all be happy with but need more players who are stand out performers.

Same goes for the front 3 Miller/Garner/McKay or Waghorn/Dodoo/O'Halloran be happy enough who started but doesn't make much different cos they are similar and don't stand out apart from Waghorn.

I think we've struggled because we don't have 7/8 guaranteed starters and good squad players. Just a good squad with not enough stand out quality.

Hopefully Warburton can find an eleven and develop them into a more settled team

That's what you get with a set system  - we play a system and the players fit into the system - many teams do this - others build teams and style around players they have - I think MW has always been clear he is playing a certain way and the players fit into that - whether that is correct or not time will tell 

1 hour ago, Bluepeter9 said:

That's what you get with a set system  - we play a system and the players fit into the system - many teams do this - others build teams and style around players they have - I think MW has always been clear he is playing a certain way and the players fit into that - whether that is correct or not time will tell 

Looks like the players are struggling with it. You have to be finding the players that have the attributes to enable them to fit into into the system. The 17's also got humped 4-0 by Accies and the match report is none too complimentary, so maybe the system isn't working too well for them either.

Our system, of playing out from the keeper, looks like amateur night at the proms, with Fod's looking the most uncomfortble on the planet and the CB's taking the pass like they have two left feet. 

It may well suit Barca who have the quality of player to continually have the ball at their feet and comfortable in prolonged possesion, but I'm sad to say the calibre of player we have are nowhere near it. They might have got away with it in the lower league, but being pressurised by those a step up in class is a different ball game. Possesion yes, but less passes, more direct and at pace.

6 hours ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

For me only Wallace Tavernier and Waghorn are guaranteed places every week if we have a fully fit squad to choose from.

Think that's where the problem lies. We have made some good additions to the squad and got good depth now.

However the majority of the players are really too similar and no one a cut above.

A middle field 3 of Holt/Halliday/Krancjar or Barton/Rossiter/Forrester is fine but none of them stand out all a bit much of a muchness really and any combination that start we'd all be happy with but need more players who are stand out performers.

Same goes for the front 3 Miller/Garner/McKay or Waghorn/Dodoo/O'Halloran be happy enough who started but doesn't make much different cos they are similar and don't stand out apart from Waghorn.

I think we've struggled because we don't have 7/8 guaranteed starters and good squad players. Just a good squad with not enough stand out quality.

Hopefully Warburton can find an eleven and develop them into a more settled team

No windass 

potentially the best midfielder at the club

1 hour ago, Blue Avenger said:

Looks like the players are struggling with it. You have to be finding the players that have the attributes to enable them to fit into into the system. The 17's also got humped 4-0 by Accies and the match report is none too complimentary, so maybe the system isn't working too well for them either.

Our system, of playing out from the keeper, looks like amateur night at the proms, with Fod's looking the most uncomfortble on the planet and the CB's taking the pass like they have two left feet. 

It may well suit Barca who have the quality of player to continually have the ball at their feet and comfortable in prolonged possesion, but I'm sad to say the calibre of player we have are nowhere near it. They might have got away with it in the lower league, but being pressurised by those a step up in class is a different ball game. Possesion yes, but less passes, more direct and at pace.

Sounds like hump and kick to me - very old school - me I don't care about systems - to me entertaining football is winning football - can't ever remembering  feeling entertained if we lost. 

3 hours ago, Pedrono1 said:

R u forgetting about windass? Were does he fit into your team? 

Well that's the point. He's looked good the couple of games he's played but is he so much better than the other midfielders we have?

People have replied to this post saying no one should be guaranteed a start.  But that's my point they should.

I don't wasn't a squad of 20 where basically any combination of players could play every week.

I want a squad that has quality of 7/8 players and we add a player there here or there.

But unfortunately we have a squad just now of good players but no outstanding players so have a starting XI of any combination possible 

Like others have side. No one should be a guaranteed starter as that breeds a lax environment and complacency. Competition for each position is required.  

However, there are lads deserving of first grabs. Such as Wes, Forrester, Tavernier, Niko and Windass. Everyone else should be on their toes.

Wes has made great saves and kept us in games, Forrester is a great aggressor and goal scorer. Tav is doing decent the now, needs to watch his stumbles. Niko is a good chance creator and a creative spark and Windass, based on his Motherwell performance is still worthy of a start. 

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

tav isnt a guarantee for me, defensively he is brutally lacking

Nonsense. Dunno what you've been watching all season but Tavernier has been our best player player so far. Defensively been good and attacking always stepped up to the mark 

1 hour ago, RFCRobertson said:

Like others have side. No one should be a guaranteed starter as that breeds a lax environment and complacency. Competition for each position is required.  

However, there are lads deserving of first grabs. Such as Wes, Forrester, Tavernier, Niko and Windass. Everyone else should be on their toes.

Wes has made great saves and kept us in games, Forrester is a great aggressor and goal scorer. Tav is doing decent the now, needs to watch his stumbles. Niko is a good chance creator and a creative spark and Windass, based on his Motherwell performance is still worthy of a start. 

Worry about this game.

going into this game with no idea what our best defence is, best midfield or even strikeforce. Rodgers already knows our tactics. 3 midfielders, 2 attacking wingers and someone in the middle. Can already plan how to stop Wallace and Tav. We have no variation. If plan A doesn't work, we keep trying plan A till its full time and say we'll do better next week.

Should have something completely different planned for this game, if we don't I worry for the score line.

1 hour ago, giffnockger said:

Wonder if Halliday with start against the scum?

I'd start him and rossiter in midfield. Barton sat behind them to cover the back 2 and have Tav and Wallace on the wing back role. Mackay or krankjar playing in behind waghorn and Miller up front. Shake it up a wee bit. Anything different. Anything.

There are always guaranteed starters every week providing they don't let the side down in previous weeks.   For me tavernier foderingham and waghorn are the 3 constants every week. Wallace would normally be on there but he's not playing to his full capacity and it shows badly.

sadly none of the middle 3 are 1st choice for me which is quite worrying as that's where a lot of games are won and lost.  Forrester is more of an impact player or can do the biz for 2-3 games then go missing.  I really like Jason holt but with the team in the current form he can't offer much. Niko is good when the goings good but can't imagine him dictating a game on his own. Barton is played to far advanced to have any bearing on the game. Mckay relies on Wallace as they greatly affect each other's performances.  Upfront there's o halloran who just doesn't look like he fits in the team, young dodoo who is similar to ohalloran. Miller can only finish on instinct as soon as he has to think then it goes over.  We can't even judge garner yet but looks like a target man and again that won't fit into a fluent 4-3-3 formation.  Maybe warbs is developing another plan of attack

8 minutes ago, cascadeshrimp said:

Tav and Forrester are the only 2 doing enough to keep their places at the moment imo

forrester was garbage against killie and tavs goal aside, he is still highly suspect defensively and better players will rip his side of the park a new one

If we manage to acquire Canapes and Volauvent from Horsdoevres then they would likely both go straight in as definite starters.

Both of them are small in stature but full of surprises and Volauvent is tasty through the middle while Canapes can mix it up top.

28 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

forrester was garbage against killie and tavs goal aside, he is still highly suspect defensively and better players will rip his side of the park a new one

Every attack from any team always goes down that side as its our weakest.

44 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Very true but they are still doing enough to keep their places.

I think Forrester is trying too hard,needs to relax and trust his own game a bit more