Well Mr King....

Virtuoso

EXCLUSIVE: £50m! That’s how much King says it will take to rebuild Rangers — and he’ll put up lion’s share

By MARK WILSON FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 23:00, 24 March 2014 | UPDATED: 23:13, 24 March 2014

Dave King has revealed he is ready to spearhead a £50million plan to rebuild Rangers with at least £30m of his own money.

The South Africa-based businessman believes it could take that sum spread over the next four years to make the Ibrox club genuine competitors to Celtic at the top of the Scottish game once more.

Despite losing a £20m investment made during Sir David Murray’s tenure, King is willing to take on the burden of the funding. And he wants it to start with a £5m war chest for Ally McCoist to ensure Rangers win the Championship and are ready for top-flight football.

Investment: Former Rangers director Dave King has pledged £30million from his own fortune to ensure the Ibrox club return to the top flight at the earliest opportunity

The 58-year-old has given the current Ibrox board until the middle of next month to come up with a credible plan to restore the club at the end of chief executive Graham Wallace’s 120-day business review.

That outcome is key to what happens next – and whether a proposal for supporters to withhold season-ticket money in a trust account is pressed into action.

King’s desire is to lead a new share issue that would see him acquire a position of significant boardroom influence, with other wealthy fans also investing substantially.

And he has now detailed the huge amount he is prepared to remove from his family fortune - in the knowledge he may not see a penny of it back.

‘My view of what it will take to make Rangers competitive again is bottom end £30m but probably £50m — over the next four years,’ King told Sportsmail.
‘From the discussions I have to date I think there are other people who would come with me.

‘But I would say I would probably have to put in £30m of the £50m over the period of time. And I could probably get other people to put in £20m.
‘Would I be willing to invest £30m despite what happened previously? Of course. Sure.’

King’s public statement of intent piles further pressure on the board ahead of Wallace revealing the long-awaited results of his review.

The Castlemilk-raised entrepreneur believes a share issue should be part of the plan and insists it should take place this summer.

McCoist is currently waiting to discover whether he will be able to strengthen his squad for a tilt at the Championship, but King is adamant the manager needs significant financial help.

‘It (a share issue) is going to have to happen at the beginning of next season,’ he continued. ‘As things stand at the moment with the club, and from the terms of the money that has been borrowed from Laxey Partners, it’s clear there is financial distress.

‘You have to invest quite a bit in the current squad ahead of getting to the top division. That would be in the hope it could be a relatively seamless process.

‘I would think Ally needs a minimum of £5m for next season. No disrespect to the current squad, they have won League One by a mile and done very well. But that squad might not win the league next year. Hearts might be there and other strong clubs.

‘If we want it to be a seamless process to make sure we not only win next year but have a squad that can begin to compete, then I think Ally needs a minimum of £5m in wages and then a very big chunk the following year to compete with Celtic.’

:pipe:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the £50m not to cover everything? The stadium was a mess and needed remedial work as did the training ground.  Then the team, the staff, the scouting etc etc.  So much was ripped off by the previous regimes that I doubt £50m would be even close to what we needed.

Just now, B1872 said:

Getting a bit boring now FS! We all know what he said. Get yourself back into the boardroom section.

He lied and has subsequently not been held to account. Shoehorned in by a select few, who did so at the thought of their own betterment.

Any notion of C1872 asking pertinent questions won't be happening any time soon either.

29 minutes ago, Teddybear123 said:

Does anyone actually know a rough figure for how much he's put it in that's gone towards things other than players?

We've paid for the players, he's put around 1.5 of his own money into keeping the lights on at the end of last season. 

Did I stumble into the Boardroom section,

We should have strengthened the defence in the Window and we haven't, we are now left with a raffle at CB.

MW deserves criticism for the defeat at the weekend and the poor form for the later part of last season and the start of this one.

I didn't think we would win the league this year but I thought we would mount a challenge.

MW needs to get us back on track and quick. 

He's spent it silly ..

Stadium improvements, legal fees, shares, lawyers and the ten players we signed don't come cheap - aside from their wages there's agent fees, taxis from the Airport to Ibrox, bill for dinner including wine after the medicals ... it all adds up you know ... add the 2 million short fall from big bad Ashlay's retail deal that's your wack fellow customer ... now sit down and listen to fucking Penny Arcade or I'll remove your season ticket and sell it

45 minutes ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

Did he? I thought he got that from Douglas Park?

They all chipped in with the first set of loans. He put nothing into paying off Ashley. I take it they will all need to chip in again come the end of this season to keep the lights on again  

Makes no real difference anyway, he lied and there's nothing we can about it. So we are stuck with him unfortunately 

31 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

He's spent it silly ..

Stadium improvements, legal fees, shares, lawyers and the ten players we signed don't come cheap - aside from their wages there's agent fees, taxis from the Airport to Ibrox, bill for dinner including wine after the medicals ... it all adds up you know ... add the 2 million short fall from big bad Ashlay's retail deal that's your wack fellow customer ... now sit down and listen to fucking Penny Arcade or I'll remove your season ticket and sell it

I don't think a taxi from Glasgow Airport to Ibrox is that expensive.  I'm guessing £30 would cover it.  Not sure we're buying the players wine after the medicals either, mate.

Just now, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I don't think a taxi from Glasgow Airport to Ibrox is that expensive.  I'm guessing £30 would cover it.  Not sure we're buying the players wine after the medicals either, mate.

This is a revelation to me