Memorable debuts

K.A.I

Who springs to mind for you through the years?

It's not really talked about but I remember Weiss' debut fondly. Easter Road .. pretty drab affair and he comes on for the last 20 minutes or so and set's up 3 goals for Kenny Miller. I thought there and then we'd have an amazing player.

An obvious one is Flo. Scoring in a 5-1 win against Celtic is pretty hard to top. 

I didn't think Flo was THAT bad. OK 12 million was a lot but he did it in the Champions League, UEFA Cup and Premiership for Chelsea. We got something like 7 million back for him and he scored a few goals.

Didn't Spackman score in his debut at Parkhead in a 1-0 win? or was that just his Old Firm debut? can't really mind.

Maybe even another wee shout for Amato in the 5-3 Shelbourne game in Liverpool. Nice double at the right time.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Laudrup always stands out for me, probably moreso given what he went on to achieve but i'll never forget his assist to big Dunc on his debut. It was certainly a sign of things to come.

Fernandes, Weiss stand out as does Nicky Law from recent years :ph34r:

Guivarc'h stands out too off the top of my head. Off the bench to score a couple at a time where we were just blowing teams apart. Sadly it never quite happened.

Flo being classed a failure/flop/dud is one of the biggest lies/myths that I have heard in about 20-30 years but it is continually banded about by idiots in the media! Just an absolute nonsense. He was never a superstar but he done more than okay and for the money we did indeed get back, you could easily argue we got value for money. At worst he was average.

4 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Oh, I read about it in his book ;) 

My arse, you're eyesight was failing long before his book came out, my carers read it to me over a six month period. Who did it for you ? Or did you go to specsavers ?

52 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Derek Johnstone scored a double on his debut as a 16 year old

Did he not score the only goal of the game in the 1970 League Cup Final?

Just checked my facts just now, I know that my memory is getting bad, but not that bad because this was my first cup final. I'd never heard of DJ before he played that day.